Air Fare Search

tabbycat1

Just booked Carnival Spirit for 7/09 - How far in advance can I start checking for air fares from New York? Are there any airlines better than others in you opinion?

Mid August-usually 330 days BEFORE departure.

Since you are flying from the NYC area, PLEASE check out the RT JFK/Vancover Cathay Pacific flight. One flight per day, leaving JFK about 11:00PM, arriving Vancouver about 2:00AM. One of the BEST airlines in the world-747, stellar service and a to die for price-$414.71 TODAY booking for June. The price has held steady for a year. But if interested, book as soon as the flights are available. This is becoming a pretty popular flight. It continues on to Hong Kong.

If you need a one way to/from ANC to Vancouver, book via Alaska Air. Usually mid October/early November time frame has the cheapest one way prices-this year, about $200.00.

Mid August-usually 330 days BEFORE departure.

Since you are flying from the NYC area, PLEASE check out the RT JFK/Vancover Cathay Pacific flight. One flight per day, leaving JFK about 11:00PM, arriving Vancouver about 2:00AM. One of the BEST airlines in the world-747, stellar service and a to die for price-$414.71 TODAY booking for June. The price has held steady for a year. But if interested, book as soon as the flights are available. This is becoming a pretty popular flight. It continues on to Hong Kong.

If you need a one way to/from ANC to Vancouver, book via Alaska Air. Usually mid October/early November time frame has the cheapest one way prices-this year, about $200.00.

Beat me.. I was going to say the exact same thing. I took it last year and they actually served HOT food and it was pretty good.

Just booked Carnival Spirit for 7/09 - How far in advance can I start checking for air fares from New York? Are there any airlines better than others in you opinion?

Are you doing Northbound or southbound. Thus Vancouver or Anchorage?

You can book 330 days on your last return flight. We booked ours on that

229 day for this summer. We using free tickets and some purchase. So we

had to be on top of it to get the free tickets. But the ones we purchased have

gone up about 35 percent. Plus booking in September or October not many

folks are thinking Anchorage / Vancouver open jaw this time of the year.

You need to watch the prices a few months before the 330 day to know

what the ball park prices are. Then act on it as soon as you think you have

a good price. Unfortunately Alaska air prices can be pricey either way.

good luck!

If frequent flyer miles are a possiblity, be sure to check into "partner" awards. Using AAdvantage miles from SNA to YVR, then ANC to SNA requires 45,000 miles. AA and Alaska Air (AS) are codeshare partners and a partner award for AS flights only requires 25,000 miles.

Now for the punchline....they are on exactly the same aircraft, the only difference is AS or AA flight numbers and 25,000 instead of 45,000 miles per person!

Alaska Airlines flies from the Newark airport to Seattle where you can easily connect to Anchorage. They remain one of the best airlines in the business have have the most flights to the state.

Sorry , I guess it would have helped to give further information. We will be flying to Anchorage from JFK and the returning home from Vancouver.

AGAIN, purchase Cathay Pacific RT from JFK to Vancouver. Then purchase a ONE WAY ticket on Alaska Airlines from Vancouver to ANC in mid October/early November (or when you see a sale). Cathay will open booking mid/late August for July 2009. Cost will be about $600.00 pp TOTAL. You will be HARD PRESSED to find a NONSTOP from/to JFK any cheaper.

Cathay Pacific sells the nonstop JFK/YVR at quite a discount BECAUSE the plane flies JFK/Hong Kong, with the YVR stop. They also fly NONSTOP JFK/Hong Kong. Most of Cathay's East Coast customers would rather be on the nonstop. But they have enough Hong Kong pax to justify two flights per day-just not enough out of JFK to justify two nonstops. So they fly the JFK/YVR leg to pick up Hong Kong pax in YVR.

I personally feel once the traffic justifies the second nonstop, the one stopper in YVR will be discontinued. And YVR pax will be flown to LAX. Cathay flies three flights to HKG per day out of LAX. Enjoy the JFK/YVR while it lasts. It is TRULY a bargain.

If frequent flyer miles are a possiblity, be sure to check into "partner" awards. Using AAdvantage miles from SNA to YVR, then ANC to SNA requires 45,000 miles. AA and Alaska Air (AS) are codeshare partners and a partner award for AS flights only requires 25,000 miles.

Now for the punchline....they are on exactly the same aircraft, the only difference is AS or AA flight numbers and 25,000 instead of 45,000 miles per person!

Not QUITE correct.

AS DID NOT release "saver" economy seats to AA (25,000 mile tickets). AS has a lot of elites/FF that fly the West Coast corridor and AS tends to keep the discount awards/seats for their pax. No reason to release them to AA.

You had to pay 45,000 for an " AA ANYTIME" award. For more miles, there was AS availability because the ticket cost AA more money.

Just curious-why didn't you use your AA miles to book an all AS ticket????

It is called a partner award.

We used AA miles for 2007 and 2008. In 2007, we used 45,000 miles for first class seats on a combination of American and Alaska Airlines flights to Vancouver and home from Anchorage. In 2008, I used 25,000 miles for coach seats on both airlines to Vancouver and home from Anchorage. Even one of our traveling companions, who waited until MARCH to book his FF flights for July/August, was able to get to Vancouver and home from Anchorage using only 25,000 AA miles - although it's taking him 4 flights to get home!

Even one of our traveling companions, who waited until MARCH to book his FF flights for July/August, was able to get to Vancouver and home from Anchorage using only 25,000 AA miles - although it's taking him 4 flights to get home!

I don't know what is going on with AA but FF seats to Alaska are still available. Not a lot of 7-10 day trips available, but 4-5 days or 2 weeks are more are READILY available.

I just booked FIL with miles for last week in August-September 11. He really didn't want to stay with us that long, but it was either 15 days or 5 days. He chose 15. And there were first class "saver" seats available-45,000 miles. First time I have EVER seen prime season Alaska AA FF tickets available this late in the year. Don't tell DH-he'll just "conveniently" find another excuse to go fishing. And he KNOWS I have a HUGE stack of miles (which I am saving for first class tickets to Africa and Asia). He thinks I paid for his Dad's ticket.

Even one of our traveling companions, who waited until MARCH to book his FF flights for July/August, was able to get to Vancouver and home from Anchorage using only 25,000 AA miles - although it's taking him 4 flights to get home!

I don't know what is going on with AA but FF seats to Alaska are still available. Not a lot of 7-10 day trips available, but 4-5 days or 2 weeks and more are READILY available.

I just booked yesterday a ticket for FIL with miles for last week in August-September 11. He really didn't want to stay with us that long, but it was either 15 days or 5 days. He chose 15. And there were first class "saver" seats available-45,000 miles. First time I have EVER seen prime season Alaska AA saver award tickets available this late in the year. Don't tell DH-he'll just "conveniently" find another excuse to go fishing. And he KNOWS I have a HUGE stack of miles (which I am saving for first class tickets to Africa and Asia). He thinks I paid for his Dad's ticket.

I don't know what is going on with AA but FF seats to Alaska are still available. Not a lot of 7-10 day trips available, but 4-5 days or 2 weeks and more are READILY available.

I was very surprised that my friend could get a 25,000 mile award so late - especially home from Anchorage. He is flying to Vancouver on July 22nd and home from Anchorage on Aug. 17th. I wish I could spend that much time in Alaska! My other friend and I are flying to Vancouver on July 24th and home from Anchorage on August 9th. My husband would not appreciate my being gone much longer, and I also want to be home for my son's 18th birthday on Aug. 11.

You just have to constantly check because the airlines just add them without anyone knowing it. Sure do like AA's calendar that shows you how many miles is needed when.

Last year when trying to book my Mom, couldn't get anything, couldn't get anything and one day I was just checking again and there was one. Being retired she's a little more flexible when she can fly (though we have to check with my sister as she's Mom's car service).

But I've learned just don't assume if you look one day, that it's gone for good, just keeping checking.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Not QUITE correct.

AS DID NOT release "saver" economy seats to AA (25,000 mile tickets). AS has a lot of elites/FF that fly the West Coast corridor and AS tends to keep the discount awards/seats for their pax. No reason to release them to AA.

You had to pay 45,000 for an " AA ANYTIME" award. For more miles, there was AS availability because the ticket cost AA more money.

Just curious-why didn't you use your AA miles to book an all AS ticket????

It is called a partner award.

We're in agreement. As stated in my post, I used AAdvantage miles for a partner award on AS numbered flights. :) It only required 25k miles per person. My point was the identical itenerary on AA numbered codeshares (AS metal) would have required 45k miles for an Anytime Award as you state. It pays to check partner awards.

I did extensive research on the best way to get to alaska from the albany area and for us we decided to fly out of chicago, just had to get a connecting flight to chicago.

If you were wiling to get to newark you could almost fly for free. If you were to apply for the alaska air visa card they give you 20,000 miles upon approval and also one $50 companion fare ticket for when you buy a regular price ticket.

If there are 2 people in your household going you can even have both of you apply for a card and get 20,000 miles each.

If you were to book your award travel 330 days in advance there is a very good chance that you could get a saver award which is 10,000 miles for each person to fly one way or 20,000 to fly roundtrip.

We had actually built up enough miles to fly home first class for 20,000 miles each one way.

good luck with your travel plans

scott

We booked Virgin America. They fly out of Washington DC (Dulles) to Seattle and also out of JFK to Seattle. Doesn't fly to Vancouver but their flights are VERY affordable in todays market and every seat has it's own TV Screen which is great for a long flight across the USA. They also fly into SF, LA and San Diego if you are crusing out of any of those cities. :p

Most airlines seem to drop their rates on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Since most people book on the weekends, that's generally the worst time to book a flight. Usualy the best rates come about 45-60 days before the flight, unless the seats are limited.

Archived