Just back from Nassau for the day on the Carnival Glory...

shari95330

Hi everyone! We just went to Nassau on Friday March 28th on the Carnival Glory. We have an 11 yr old and a 13 yr old. We were very undecided on what to do so we got off the boat early (shops opened at around 9am ish) and went to STARBUCKS around 8am to plan it out. We hit some shops one of which had a multitude of stores within it and was right on the main street. This store not only had great perfumes but it also had many many COACH ITEMS going at half off. There were ladies with 6 and 7 purses in their hands. They had to rope it off to keep order. They were not KNOCK OFFS. We then went to the STRAW MARKET shopping where my daughter and I had a field day with some Coach-like thinks and some Dooney and Burke-like things.

After the shopping frenzy....We took the #10 JITNEY for $1.00 to the SHERATON HOTEL. We went through the lobby and right to the pool and beach where we got lounge chairs and some of the best Miami Vice and soda's around. It was a GREAT DAY! After hanging out there for about two hours. we made the mistake of NOT TAKING THE JITNEY BACK to the pier. Let's just say we SPLURGED on the $24.00 CAB RIDE BACK to the pier...Did a bit more shopping on our way out and were back on the boat by 3:30pm. AN AWESOME DAY! The beach was BEAUTIFUL at the SHERATON! We may go back there and stay for a week now that we did that...

TIP - The JITNEY RIDE was very interesting but saves ya $$$:)

It was a great day!

Hi,

We will be on the Triumph for Memorial Day week. I think we will go to the Sheraton and enjoy the beach. Is the beach big enough and more importantly, is it clean? I am picturing it in the ship harbor with not so clean water. Please tell me that isn't true!

Laurie

You can catch the Jitney (BUS #10) right up the main street ...Ask any officer and he will point you to the stop. There was a funeral procession in the middle of town that day so all traffic was diverted through the residential streets off the main roads....Let's say we saw some tough parts of town. If you are unsure..ask the driver if they go to the Sheraton.

The Sheraton Beach was PLENTY BIG and we were there during part of spring break. The water is not too bad at all...A little seaweed but not bad...AND BEAUTIFUL!

There were mixed reviews on this board on whether or not the Sheraton sold day passes or not and whether or not you could just go and use the Pool and beach. I called them and they said they do not sell day passes anymore, the Wyndam does but they don't. The Front Desk person then told me to just walk in as they do not check. So we did just that. We walked in and to the pool and ordered drinks and sat at the beach and pool for a couple of hours. It was great and because of that...We may go back and spend a week there!

I attached pictures...Hope you can see

photo_1.jpg.491acb92f27ba20357264b9a433274e2.jpg

photo_2.jpg.b169b273b7c91931b0d17d0e62d8c7ea.jpg

photo_3.jpg.92ff701e9174769c8755c1f2cae84c59.jpg

Will be cruising into Nassau in a week, just wondering if you knew the name or maybe a landmark to the place where the purses and perfumes where. My girls and I love that kinda stuff. BTW thanks for the tip on the Sheraton.

Cindy;)

You can catch the Jitney (BUS #10) right up the main street ...Ask any officer and he will point you to the stop. There was a funeral procession in the middle of town that day so all traffic was diverted through the residential streets off the main roads....Let's say we saw some tough parts of town. If you are unsure..ask the driver if they go to the Sheraton.

The Sheraton Beach was PLENTY BIG and we were there during part of spring break. The water is not too bad at all...A little seaweed but not bad...AND BEAUTIFUL!

There were mixed reviews on this board on whether or not the Sheraton sold day passes or not and whether or not you could just go and use the Pool and beach. I called them and they said they do not sell day passes anymore, the Wyndam does but they don't. The Front Desk person then told me to just walk in as they do not check. So we did just that. We walked in and to the pool and ordered drinks and sat at the beach and pool for a couple of hours. It was great and because of that...We may go back and spend a week there!

I attached pictures...Hope you can see

We won't be in Nassau until the end of January, but I hope the Sheraton still lets the public in (even if I have to purchase a day pass). Your pics are beautiful and I think my kids would LOVE it!

The name or landmark with all the shops is John Bull......I think. It is right around there. I hope you have a wonderful time. My daughter is 11 and she and I had a field day shopping at both the Straw Market and the shops in John Bull (I think that is the name)..It is right by ROLEX. Oh my gosh have so much fun!

I think the OP is a little mistaken. I was on the Glory which left Port Canaveral on Saturday, March 29. We were in Nassau on Sunday, March 30 from 8:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. We had to be back on the ship by 1:30 p.m. When this post was written, we were still at sea. Take everything said here with a grain of salt.

I think the OP is a little mistaken. I was on the Glory which left Port Canaveral on Saturday, March 29. We were in Nassau on Sunday, March 30 from 8:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. We had to be back on the ship by 1:30 p.m. When this post was written, we were still at sea. Take everything said here with a grain of salt.

Per the Carnival website it looks like the glory does eastern and western iteneraries. With the western stopping in Nassau the day before the ship docks. So the op being in nassua on the 28th seems right.

I obviously started typing before I put my head in gear. You were on the Western which visited Nassau on Friday, I was on the Eastern which visited on Sunday. I must be suffering from warm melting chocolate cake withdrawal. I am also upset that I missed the Coach sale. Please accept my apologies. I apologize to the rest of the cc members for making myself look stupid!

Wow...I just read this and though...Why the heck would I take the time to post on here if I really wasn't there! :) I am a newbie at this too. But...Now that you mention the WARM CHOCOLATECAKE WITHDRAWLS...I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND! OMG that was the best! I cn't believe it's been so long since we have had it already... Let me know if there are any other questions....Glad to help!

We are planning on doing this w/ our cruise in a couple of weeks. How long does the Jitneys take and are they readily available? Also, did you go with your cruise towels to the pool? Just wondering if we do we will be targeted and they will know. We may just go to the Wyndham. I think someone on here said you can go between the two hotels back and forth.

Thanks for the review

I think we waited about 5 minutes for the Jitney. Yes..They were readily available...I can't remember but someone said they come like every 15 or every 30 minutes...We only waited about 5 min. We did not take our cruise towels to the pool. We bought some cheap ones at a previous port and took those.:)

Just back from the Glory on 4/5. We did the straw market as soon as we got off the ship around 8-8:30 then around 10am, asked for directions to get on jitney #10 and were pointed right there. Got on, paid as he dropped us off right in front of the Sheraton, $1 each, and since we had 6 in our group, never felt unsafe. We took our cruise towels not thinking and even though I had called ahead and was told by the Sheraton front desk that we could use the facilities, when a lifeguard saying he worked for Sheraton approached us for $5 each for use of the chairs, we paid as the teenaged girls we were with were a little fearful of being told to leave. We had originally planned on having to pay $15 at the Wyndham so we figured we were still ahead of the game. Now I read that that was a scam and could kick myself for not going inside to ask although I was afraid that might cause more of a problem for us. So, I would say just walk in the front door with your shopping bags. They'll think you are guests returning from the market and just head straight to the back of the hotel to the pool/beach area. Take your own towels, not cruise towels. You can't get their towels unless you have a room number. We used their chairs and swam in their heated pool as it was a cloudy, windy day when we were there. The beach and pool areas are very nice and restrooms were right there also as well as a bar and grill. We took a few snacks with us and ate lunch upon returning to the ship. The ship doesn't check your bags when you get off so you can sneak some fruit or cereal boxes, etc. off with you to hold you over. Even paying the $5, I would do it again, only wish it would have been a little sunnier day when we were there! The jitney picked us up right in front of the Sheraton to head back. Watch how long it takes to get there and allow plenty of time to get back.

Hi everyone! We just went to Nassau on Friday March 28th on the Carnival Glory. We have an 11 yr old and a 13 yr old. We were very undecided on what to do so we got off the boat early (shops opened at around 9am ish) and went to STARBUCKS around 8am to plan it out. We hit some shops one of which had a multitude of stores within it and was right on the main street. This store not only had great perfumes but it also had many many COACH ITEMS going at half off. There were ladies with 6 and 7 purses in their hands. They had to rope it off to keep order. They were not KNOCK OFFS. We then went to the STRAW MARKET shopping where my daughter and I had a field day with some Coach-like thinks and some Dooney and Burke-like things.

After the shopping frenzy....We took the #10 JITNEY for $1.00 to the SHERATON HOTEL. We went through the lobby and right to the pool and beach where we got lounge chairs and some of the best Miami Vice and soda's around. It was a GREAT DAY! After hanging out there for about two hours. we made the mistake of NOT TAKING THE JITNEY BACK to the pier. Let's just say we SPLURGED on the $24.00 CAB RIDE BACK to the pier...Did a bit more shopping on our way out and were back on the boat by 3:30pm. AN AWESOME DAY! The beach was BEAUTIFUL at the SHERATON! We may go back there and stay for a week now that we did that...

TIP - The JITNEY RIDE was very interesting but saves ya $$$:)

It was a great day!

Thanks for sharing your day with us. I was just wondering a couple of things. I believe that I have a purse addiction so where would be the best place to shop for one? I know it would probably be a knock off but I don't mind as long as its a decent price. I won't pay the price of the real deal for a knock off. Also, I believe we may not do an excursion in Nassau, I would rather shop. I know that alot of the ports have shopping areas right off of the pier, is that where all the good shops are.

You will find a TON of purses! OMG! You will not want to leave. The Shops and straw market are all within site of the DOCKS. The straw market is a BIG white TENT...Sounds small but it is not. For knock offs...The straw market.....They have it all. Knock off coin purses $5.00, wallets $5.00 - $20.00, purses $10 - $45.00 depending on size. Knock off Rolex...$30.00 - $60.00...etc. For the real things....Try a store that has a bunch of stores in it called....John Bull? In the back of the store is the purse section. They have a COACH Store right there...I was not impressed with the selection nor the prices. almost more than what you would pay in the states. Hope that helps!:o

You will find a TON of purses! OMG! You will not want to leave. The Shops and straw market are all within site of the DOCKS. The straw market is a BIG white TENT...Sounds small but it is not. For knock offs...The straw market.....They have it all. Knock off coin purses $5.00, wallets $5.00 - $20.00, purses $10 - $45.00 depending on size. Knock off Rolex...$30.00 - $60.00...etc. For the real things....Try a store that has a bunch of stores in it called....John Bull? In the back of the store is the purse section. They have a COACH Store right there...I was not impressed with the selection nor the prices. almost more than what you would pay in the states. Hope that helps!:o

Archived