New England dates available for 2009!!!!

Yeah! I just booked the Jewel for Sept 2009! Now I have plenty time to save b/c it costs as much as my Alaskan cruise! The price won't stop me though! How is Portland, Maine as a port of call? Are there alot of things to do? Never researched it.

Yeah! I just booked the Jewel for Sept 2009! Now I have plenty time to save b/c it costs as much as my Alaskan cruise! The price won't stop me though! How is Portland, Maine as a port of call? Are there alot of things to do? Never researched it.

I LOVED Portland. It is a really up-and-coming charming small city. You can get a great lobster lunch at any number of restaurants, you can go out on a little boat and go fishing or whale-watching or just sight-seeing, you can walk its charming streets and go into its charming shops. (:D). Cheap internet cafès, too, as I recall. ;)

Is Whale watching good in late September? The lobster is a MUST so I am THERE!!!!! Any suggestions where to eat?

Birman, if I could remember where we ate....... :eek: :eek: :D

Actually, I have a friend who lives there (who was unfortunately out of town when we cruised there), and I will email him and ask where the locals eat. :)

I'm not sure if whale watching willl be that good in late Sept. I think by then the whales may have started to migrate south?? Also, the watch boats go out quite far, and you never know about the weather-could be mighty cold out there...

Do you stop in Bar Harbor?? Lots to do in that area-esp. touring Acadia National Park!

I agree with Carol - Portland is a great little city! Friends of mine just moved from there to Massachussetts so I'm a little bummed that we don't have an excuse to go there as much anymore! Stay in the Old Port(by the water). It's very walkable and there are great little restaurants. My favorite is RiRa's but all of the restaurants on Commercial Street are pretty awesome. They are all on the water. There are lots of fun little shops, bars, cafes and restaurants.

This site might help give you a better idea of the place. http://www.portlandmaine.gov/play.shtml

Laura

Archived