Caviar

SuzMate

My comment on mentioning Crystal was mostly in jest. I just find it interesting how strong the opinions can be. We've sail Crystal twice and are looking forward to our first cruise on Regent in May. We do not have strong feelings about open seating or the all inclusive - we just want a great vacation, with little stress.

LeeAnne, you bring up a really good point. I don't know what type Crystal serves, but I'm glad to hear that if we do order some on Regent it will be good quality.

Which brings me to another couple of questions... does anyone know what brand ice cream is served? And, what cognac is included in the all inclusive?

Suzmate, I haven't been on Regent in over a year, and caviar costs have gone up since then. So don't take my word - things may have changed. I should mention that you used to be able to order a caviar serving w/ accouterments as a Bon Voyage gift - in fact that's what I did for my Mom on our first Regent cruise, so that it showed up at the cabin right after embarkation as a surprise. But I checked online, and it's no longer included in their brochure for Bon Voyage gifts. Don't know what that means...but it bears investigation.

One thing to consider is that cruise lines (and everyone else) is being faced with a real crisis with the sturgeon population. Farm raised may be all that can legally be provided in a year or so.

Sorry a bit off topic, but related nonetheless.

Not off-topic - look at the subject of the thread! :)

That was kinda what I was getting at. Wild-caught Caspian sturgeon may not even be an option in the future.

But if you've ever tried farmed sturgeon caviar, it's really pretty good. This is what I was HOPING Silversea was serving when they said American. (I don't care for paddlefish - I find it has a rather earthy taste, and not in a good way - more like dirt). But I've tried American farmed sturgeon and thought it was perfectly fine, if a bit different from Russian. And...it's sustainable!

I know DH is really looking forward to trying caviar on our trip. I say trying because he has never had anything other than the tidbits people garnish appetizers with. So, whether we have to pay for it or not, as long as it is good quality I think he will be happy. And, if it turns out he doesn't like it then, oh well...more for me!:D

Believe it or not, paddlefish is under more pressure than sturgeon!

Also, I have always wondered why - when the tastes in caviar are actually quite subtle - people load up condiments like onion and capers. Never made sense to me. I would think that if you approach caviar that way (which, obviously is one's entitlement!) the use of a more responsible type (farm-raised, for example) wouldn't really affect your experience.

And, of course, if farm raised is used on board as it is so much less expensive, the luxury of complimentary caviar should return. I must say that, for example, on Seabourn it is not the actual ordering of complimentary caviar and champagne at 3 AM that gives the feel of luxury, it is knowing that you can do it.

(Obviously there needs to be limits when a passenger abuses "complimentary" caviar as was mentioned earlier. I remember sitting in a dining room on a cruise and had to endure a man at the next table ordering 15 or so shrimp cocktails every night as if he was in a contest to see how much he could get away with. Eventually he was cut off.)

I've heard stories of complimentary caviar abuse. One of the things brought up in a thread in the Silversea forum was to put a per-passenger limit - 1 serving per day or whatever they felt was fair. Don't know how they'd monitor that, but I for one would rather see that then an outright ban on complimentary caviar.

Didn't know that about paddlefish! One more reason to dislike it.

I think the cruise lines could turn this situation to their advantage - publicize how they are switching from wild-caught to all farmed caviar, as a gesture to help save the endangered sturgeon!

I've heard stories of complimentary caviar abuse. One of the things brought up in a thread in the Silversea forum was to put a per-passenger limit - 1 serving per day or whatever they felt was fair. Don't know how they'd monitor that, but I for one would rather see that then an outright ban on complimentary caviar.

Didn't know that about paddlefish! One more reason to dislike it.

I think the cruise lines could turn this situation to their advantage - publicize how they are switching from wild-caught to all farmed caviar, as a gesture to help save the endangered sturgeon!

Why not? A limit is a good idea. Disney limits passengers to one Mickey Ice Cream Bar a day. They actually track it....so, there is precedent.;)

Obviously there needs to be limits when a passenger abuses "complimentary" caviar as was mentioned earlier. I remember sitting in a dining room on a cruise and had to endure a man at the next table ordering 15 or so shrimp cocktails every night as if he was in a contest to see how much he could get away with. Eventually he was cut off.

There are several "How many lobsters do you eat on lobster night" threads on Cruise Critic. Gluttony is alive and well!

Perhaps we should also be limited to one martini a night, one glass of wine with dinner and one cappuccino a day. Also they should only tip one crew member on our behalf, the rest is up to us. This way they can still say they are all inclusive and not have to lay out as much in order to make the claim.

I say this in jest, but I shudder as I write because I don't want to give them any ideas. Trust me, sooner or later more cuts are coming along with four dollar gas.

Archived