Rhodes Old Town/NewTown--Do you need a Guide?

ionsys

Many years ago I took a ferry from Algeciras Spain over to Tangiers, Morrocco (sp)

I was a 35yr old single man and I got off the ferry and started walking down the pier into Tangiers which is a walled city. There were a lot of young local guys standing on the pier wanting to be my guide, but I thought who needs it and kept walking--When I got to the Tangiers gate at the wall I went about 100' in and realized that it was a like a zigsaw puzzle that I might well find difficult to find my way out of back to the gate--So, I walked back to the pier and got a an 18yr old guide-thank god I did as it turned out

When I read about Rhodes, the first thing that crosses my mind is "Is this going to be like Tangiers" re a maze of narrow streets as in a puzzle?

This time, my wife and I are 60 ish when we hit Rhodes

Any thoughts on whether or not we might need a Guide? I'd rather just wonder around ourselves--assuming that inside the Wall is fairly ok to do so.

Many years ago I took a ferry from Algeciras Spain over to Tangiers, Morrocco (sp)

I was a 35yr old single man and I got off the ferry and started walking down the pier into Tangiers which is a walled city. There were a lot of young local guys standing on the pier wanting to be my guide, but I thought who needs it and kept walking--When I got to the Tangiers gate at the wall I went about 100' in and realized that it was a like a zigsaw puzzle that I might well find difficult to find my way out of back to the gate--So, I walked back to the pier and got a an 18yr old guide-thank god I did as it turned out

When I read about Rhodes, the first thing that crosses my mind is "Is this going to be like Tangiers" re a maze of narrow streets as in a puzzle?

This time, my wife and I are 60 ish when we hit Rhodes

Any thoughts on whether or not we might need a Guide? I'd rather just wonder around ourselves--assuming that inside the Wall is fairly ok to do so.

You will be fine. Both the old town and the new town are not confusing at all.

Usualy the ship docks about a 5-10 minute walk from the old town ...its really easy to walk round by yourself, Just be careful with the traffic on the entrance to the old town the Greeks are not known for being careful drivers ;)

There is duty free shop in the port that is much cheaper than any cruise ship

Mandy

We wanted to see more than just Rhodes Old Town, so we took a half day ship tour. I am glad we got to see some more of the area; but wish we had just spent the day in Old Town. It is easy to get around on your own. You can see pictures and read about what we did in Rhodes from last years Med cruise review on our website www.thepreismans.com .

when we were in Rhodes a few years ago, our TA arranged for us a guide with a Mercedes. His name was Manuel.

And he was really good. He not only took us through the old town, but out to a beautiful area on the coast. This was on a Sunday. The Greek Orthodox church was having a service and we were invited inside with Manual, who was well known to the locals. What a beautiful service. (we did not stay for the whole service).

Just going to the old town was a drop in the bucket. See if you could get a private guide if possible.

You won't have a problem at all. We found it very easy to get around. We were in our very late 50's when we visited Rhodes, and it was not a chore.

After we walked around old town, we took a cab to a monestary. It was beautiful. Rhodes was my favorite. :)

You will be fine. we went last year and really enjoyed it. You can get a cheap map, which details all the roads, walkways etc from any of the small tourist stores - it was not expensive and meant we didn't go wrong - so worth it

Archived