Statendam to Alaska - New to HAL questions

curlyj

I have cruised Alaska twice before - once on RCCL and once on NCL. I go again at the end of May on the Statendam. I am just starting my planning and have some questions:

1. There are no mini-fridges in the cabins but there are hair dryers?

2. HAL says about it's culinary choices - "an ice cream bar, espresso and pastries in the Explorations Cafe......hand dipped chocolates in the Explorer's Lounge after dinner" Are these specific items complimentary? Do they serve complimentary capuccino in the dining room?

3. We have AYWD but are waitlisted for main. We will probably end up calling every morning for a reservation. Do they have a large number of tables for 4 (our group's size)

4. Specific to Alaska - in the past have they brought on naturalists? and have their presentations been piped thru the TV's in the cabins? Will blankets be available on deck?

5. Does Statendam show an outside Webcam on the TV, so we can see the weather before leaving the cabin (I have an inside)

6. I have read that we are not allowed to bring soft drinks on board, but we can bring a bottle of wine or champagne and will only be charged a corkage fee if we bring it to the dining room. Is that correct?

7. The Culinary Arts Centre seems interesting. Is it just cooking demonstrations or do they do other things?

Thanks in advance for all the great responses!

Wow.... You have your questions in order. I can tell you our first cruise was on the Statendam. Our suite was lovely, very BIG. Our cruises since the cabins or balconies have not been near the same size!!!! The ship is the smallest we have cruised on. We packed a roller ice chest with sodas and beer. I packed booze in my checked in luggage No problems. It may have changed in the recent years. We had a mini refrig. It barely kept water cold. Enjoy, I am looking forward to booking a Alaskan cruise!!:)

I have cruised Alaska twice before - once on RCCL and once on NCL. I go again at the end of May on the Statendam. I am just starting my planning and have some questions:

1. There are no mini-fridges in the cabins but there are hair dryers?

Only balcony cabins and higher have a mini-fridge on the Statendam. Other cabins can rent one. It will go under the desk, however, and will make it difficult to sit there.

There should be two hair dryers---the old one attached to the bathroom wall (great for clearing off the mirror after your shower), and a hand-held in the cabin.

2. HAL says about it's culinary choices - "an ice cream bar, espresso and pastries in the Explorations Cafe......hand dipped chocolates in the Explorer's Lounge after dinner" Are these specific items complimentary? Do they serve complimentary capuccino in the dining room?

There is a charge for the specialty coffees in the Explorations Cafe. The other things you listed out are included in your fare---including capuccino at dinner.

3. We have AYWD but are waitlisted for main. We will probably end up calling every morning for a reservation. Do they have a large number of tables for 4 (our group's size)

Don't know the proportion of tables for four, but if you call right at 8:00 AM you will stand a great chance of getting what you want.

4. Specific to Alaska - in the past have they brought on naturalists? and have their presentations been piped thru the TV's in the cabins? Will blankets be available on deck?

I was last in Alaska in '06, and IIRC, yes, the narration was on the TV---but you'll want to be out on deck for scenic cruising. The blankets tend to disappear. People take one to use, then don't put it back when they're done. :(

5. Does Statendam show an outside Webcam on the TV, so we can see the weather before leaving the cabin (I have an inside)

There's a View from the Bridge and an aft view on two TV stations. The music played can be turned down if you don't want to listen.

6. I have read that we are not allowed to bring soft drinks on board, but we can bring a bottle of wine or champagne and will only be charged a corkage fee if we bring it to the dining room. Is that correct?

You are allowed to bring on as much soda, water, wine, and champagne as you care to. The corkage fee is $15 if you bring it to the dining room, or want it in a lounge.

7. The Culinary Arts Centre seems interesting. Is it just cooking demonstrations or do they do other things?

There's demonstrations---no charge, and open to everyone. There's also classes. There's a charge of $29 (I believe), and a limit on the number of people.

Thanks in advance for all the great responses!

You're welcome! Hope this helps. :)

Have a great time in The Great Land.

They did have them on the Amsterdam last September and I don't recall it being on TV. Then again, I did not even think to look for it on TV - I was outside looking at the scenery. :)

There were plenty of blankets around.

I haven't seen anything about not being able to bring soda on board.

The corkage fee is charged in the dining room (or bar/lounge, I believe). You can bring as much wine and champagne as you wish on board.

We had an excellent naturalist (Ian Denton) last summer on the Statendam. But I suspect they rotate. He was on the bow viewing deck during scenic cruising and he did several lectures in the showroom. The lectures were re-run on TV throughout the week.

Archived