RC Huge price increases??

I took a 5 day cruise in August of '07. Explorer of the seas, out of NJ to Bermuda. Booked about 10 months early and Balcony room was $1015 with 3rd and 4th persons at $599. I just went to book the same cruise in August of '09. Prices are now $1299 and $799 for 3rd/4th. With the fuel surchage, that is $1100 more per cabin for the same cruise 2 years later! That is totally insane. Anyone else see this or am I crazy. I would expect 2 years later the price would be up a little, but, not this much. Just curious if anyone has seen this on other RC cruise bookings.

I think the issue is that, so far, Explorer is the only RCI ship in NJ/NY. And it's been selling out even with higher prices. So until they get more ships up there, I suspect the prices will only go up. People in the area (aka me), sadly, will pay more so we don't have the hassle of flying...well...to a point...the prices are getting a tad out there for 09 but we haven't seen the Florida prices yet--when they are released they could be just as high

Prices are going up. Two years ago, on the Jewel of the Seas, we had an OS for a B2B transatlantic and Baltic. The transatlantic portion was just at $8,000......and for next year it's $14,000. Transatlantics, which once were a great bargain, now are getting about the same price as we paid for our Baltics trip 2 years ago. Suites seem to be more in demand and harder to get.....and the cruiselines keep pushing the price up.

Rick

I took a 5 day cruise in August of '07. Explorer of the seas, out of NJ to Bermuda. Booked about 10 months early and Balcony room was $1015 with 3rd and 4th persons at $599. I just went to book the same cruise in August of '09. Prices are now $1299 and $799 for 3rd/4th. With the fuel surchage, that is $1100 more per cabin for the same cruise 2 years later! That is totally insane. Anyone else see this or am I crazy. I would expect 2 years later the price would be up a little, but, not this much. Just curious if anyone has seen this on other RC cruise bookings.

I agree entirely.

My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. We were looking for cruises for us and our 2 kids, and it seems RCCL has raised prices more than anyone else has. Her and I both agree, RCCL is pricing itself out of our reach.

I would be willing to bet, if the economy continues to struggle, cruise lines are going to be feeling the effect by this time next year and prices will start to come down.

My wife and I are avid cruisers, but because of prices going up and much as they have...on everything, food, gas, etc....we have had to cut cruises for the time being. Went on a 4 night in march, not another one planned until possibly Fall of '09....maybe. Unless prices come down, then maybe one earlier.

There are several factors that drive price but as mentioned above, the biggest is supply and demand. If you look at the summer of 08 for example. Holland America, Celebrity, and Princess have pulled all ships out of the Caribbean. NCL only has one ship sailing to the Caribbean and that is out of New York. That leaves just Carnival and Royal Caribbean. That alone drives up demand for the Caribbean with only two major players.

Now when you look at RCI for the summer of 08, they currently have 21 ships in service as of June of 08. Out of those 21, only 9 ships are serving the Caribbean or Bahama's.

Freedom, Liberty, Mariner, Explorer, Adventure, Majesty, Sovereign, Enchantment and Granduer.

You have seven ships in Europe, three in Alaska, two on the west coast for Mexican Riviera and short cruises for a total of 12 ships not in the Caribbean. Due to these moves it has caused a higher demand and therefore higher prices can be charged. They are basically moving ships where they can get their biggest bang for the buck. Don't blame them. The same thing basically happens again in 09.

I payed $949 for a balcony room to bermuda from NJ, about a month ago. cruise departs may 4th. I watch the website pricing everyday and it has bounced between $849 for top level balcony rooms, and $1,200. You may have more luck buying closer to your cruise date.

We live in South Jersey and LOVED the convenience of sailing out of Bayonne, however when we were looking to book for this July/August the prices were just too high, we could have flown to florida and done the same itinerary for about half the price. However, I don't like to fly, so I persevered and found a 9 night out of Norfolk VA for about $1500 less than a 9 night out of Bayonne for the 4 of us. So....we're driving to Va, spending the night in a hotel and saving over $1,000....

I agree, if the prices don't come down some, we won't be able to continue our pattern of cruising every year.

Archived