Great Lunch and View in Bathsheba - Round House Inn

jaysue

Private Eye, sorry I missed your post - I see our local friend covered it off for me

Didn't mean to steal your thunder or nuthin...

in fact I'd welcome your perspective on what was asked!

Local perspective and reality is often quite different from the tourist's reality and perspective :)

and I learn a lot from visitors' comments and observations

so please do come back with your take on it

"from the outside lookin in" as it were!

It's nice to have different views, no?

First let me say that you (aplmac) truly live in paradise. My Wife and I visited your country last January and had a wonderful time touring the Island. During our driving tour, we had the opportunity to have lunch in Bathsheba as well. We asked driver to take us somewhere that we could try the local cuisine. She took us to a restaurante called "Bonitos", which was a small place with an upper dining deck overlooking the ocean. I ate "Flying Fish" and other local foods until I could hardly walk. We had a great time, and look forward to returning.

First let me say that you (aplmac) truly live in paradise. ===> ..beats Yellowknife in the NorthWest Territories of Canada!:D

My Wife and I visited your country last January

and had a wonderful time touring the Island. ===> Please come back sometime! - stay for a week,why dontcha?

During our driving tour, we had the opportunity to have lunch in Bathsheba as well.

We asked driver to take us somewhere that we could try the local cuisine.

She took us to a restaurant called "Bonitos",

which was a small place with an upper dining deck overlooking the ocean.

I ate "Flying Fish" and other local foods until I could hardly walk.

We had a great time, and look forward to returning.

I know Bonito well - have enjoyed many a lunch there on that upper floor

looking out over High Rock as the locals call that big ole undercut sea-rock right there

-to the right of where you ate.

The restaurant belongs to an ex-Magistrate, who runs it with his sons.

Yeaahh.. you did alright by going to Bonito! - you'll be back! :)

I notice your handle 63Corvette.

My first taste of the USA was a visit when I was 18 yrs. old

1968. Tulsa,OK.

My host was a young geologist who'd just bought a '68 Vette..

the one with the new styling?

427 cu.in, 3 barrel carburettor, UniRoyal Tigerpaw tyres.

He collected me at Dallas airport, and we droooove thru the night to Tulsa

at speeds that woulda made my Momma's hair curl

if she only knew how fast those utility poles pass a guy

at speeds of around 100 m.p.h. - Damn that car was fast! :eek:

He's gone now: Huntington's Disease cut him down

at around age 60 and I live on to tell the tale.

Life is short - cruise hard.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Grandma-

was it you who wrote about edgewater inn?how were the prices?Buffet? What did you eat?

Thanks.

I stayed at the Edgewater Inn 10 years ago. So probably the prices aren't relevant now. I had the buffet brunch on Sunday, and we also ate breakfast there every day and also some dinners. We had the Bajan lunch buffet at Brown Sugar that week and it was very good.

As nearly as I can figure from the dates on the photos, our schedule was as follows:

Arrive late on the evening of Tuesday 11-26-1996 and check into the hotel (Edgewater in Bathsheba ).

Wednesday 11-27 - Rental car people came to the hotel and gave us our car. Drove down to the Barbados Museum, bought a Heritage Pass and a detailed wall map of Barbados. Had a Bajan lunch buffet at Brown Sugar because the lunch buffet was cheaper than dinner. Brown Sugar is in an old Barbadian home, hidden within lush fern covered patios and cascading water gardens, tasty creole dishes such as flying fish, cou cou, fish cakes, souse and their famous pepperpot.

Shopped at Cave Shepard and Columbian Emeralds in Bridgetown in the afternoon. Drove up to Cattlewash and had dinner at the Kingsley House

Thursday 11-28 (Thanksgiving Day). Drove north along the coast, visited Morgan Lewis Sugar Mill and then went to St. Nicholas Abbey. Arrived there at the same time as a passel of local school children, fortunately in time for the home movies at 11 oclock (one of the highlights of our trip). Went to the Wildlife Reserve and had lunch, and from there went to Farley Hill. Had a Bajan Buffet at a review that night at "1627 And All That "

Friday 11-29 Went to Andromeda Gardens and the Best of Barbados shop and then went down to the southern end and did some more shopping. Returned via Bathsheba and saw the surfing competition in progress. Had dinner at the Edgewater hotel

Saturday 11-30 - this was the Bajan Independance 30th anniversary date and it looked as if it was going to rain. Went to Harrison's Cave (missing the rain - it rained while we were underground) and then to Welshman's Hall Gully (free for the anniversary for Bajans and Signal Hill. Ate dinner at the Round House and listened to live music.

Sunday 12-1 Drove around and attempted to find the Sunday walk without success. Had the Sunday Buffet at the hotel. .

Monday 12-2 Drove up to the north end to visit the Animal Flower Caves had lunch there. Then drove down to Folkestone to snorkel. Took a nature walk from the hotel along the shore in the afternoon.

Tuesday 12-3 - drove to the airport, left the car in their lot and took an early flight home.

A review of Atlantis says:

A buffet of bajan foods such as pepper pot, macaroni pie, flying fish, dolphin, souse, yams, curried chicken, rice and peas, roasted pork and ham, all tempted diners for multiple trips to the buffet.

A large array of desserts, orange cake, coconut pie to name a few, also caught the attention of many a sweet tooth.

Reservations are necessary. Sunday brunch was priced at $50BDS per person

Thanks sounds like you had a wonderful time.

How was the wildlife reserve?Tell me what you thought of the animal flower caves.Very interested!!!!

By the way-wrote atlantis for info and found out they are closing for at least 8 months.

nancy:eek:

I stayed at the Edgewater Inn 10 years ago. So probably the prices aren't relevant now. I had the buffet brunch on Sunday, and we also ate breakfast there every day and also some dinners. We had the Bajan lunch buffet at Brown Sugar that week and it was very good.

As nearly as I can figure from the dates on the photos, our schedule was as follows:

Arrive late on the evening of Tuesday 11-26-1996 and check into the hotel (Edgewater in Bathsheba ).

Wednesday 11-27 - Rental car people came to the hotel and gave us our car. Drove down to the Barbados Museum, bought a Heritage Pass and a detailed wall map of Barbados. Had a Bajan lunch buffet at Brown Sugar because the lunch buffet was cheaper than dinner. Brown Sugar is in an old Barbadian home, hidden within lush fern covered patios and cascading water gardens, tasty creole dishes such as flying fish, cou cou, fish cakes, souse and their famous pepperpot.

Shopped at Cave Shepard and Columbian Emeralds in Bridgetown in the afternoon. Drove up to Cattlewash and had dinner at the Kingsley House

Thursday 11-28 (Thanksgiving Day). Drove north along the coast, visited Morgan Lewis Sugar Mill and then went to St. Nicholas Abbey. Arrived there at the same time as a passel of local school children, fortunately in time for the home movies at 11 oclock (one of the highlights of our trip). Went to the Wildlife Reserve and had lunch, and from there went to Farley Hill. Had a Bajan Buffet at a review that night at "1627 And All That "

Friday 11-29 Went to Andromeda Gardens and the Best of Barbados shop and then went down to the southern end and did some more shopping. Returned via Bathsheba and saw the surfing competition in progress. Had dinner at the Edgewater hotel

Saturday 11-30 - this was the Bajan Independance 30th anniversary date and it looked as if it was going to rain. Went to Harrison's Cave (missing the rain - it rained while we were underground) and then to Welshman's Hall Gully (free for the anniversary for Bajans and Signal Hill. Ate dinner at the Round House and listened to live music.

Sunday 12-1 Drove around and attempted to find the Sunday walk without success. Had the Sunday Buffet at the hotel. .

Monday 12-2 Drove up to the north end to visit the Animal Flower Caves had lunch there. Then drove down to Folkestone to snorkel. Took a nature walk from the hotel along the shore in the afternoon.

Tuesday 12-3 - drove to the airport, left the car in their lot and took an early flight home.

A review of Atlantis says:

A buffet of bajan foods such as pepper pot, macaroni pie, flying fish, dolphin, souse, yams, curried chicken, rice and peas, roasted pork and ham, all tempted diners for multiple trips to the buffet.

A large array of desserts, orange cake, coconut pie to name a few, also caught the attention of many a sweet tooth.

Reservations are necessary. Sunday brunch was priced at $50BDS per person

Thanks sounds like you had a wonderful time.

How was the wildlife reserve?Tell me what you thought of the animal flower caves.Very interested!!!!

By the way-wrote atlantis for info and found out they are closing for at least 8 months.

nancy:eek:

I didn't care much for the animal flower cave although many people think these caves are really wonderful. There are supposed to be pools deep enough to swim in although they are cold. I understand that the caves are featured in some Billy Ocean videos

I've also been told that if the waves are crashing around outside the caves, that the sea anenomes will not be visible. So try to go on a calm(er) day.

Or just standing on the point and watching the waves is not only free, but is a real photo opportunity. (This is a print photo looking down at the sea from the cliffs taken with a point and shoot camera before digital was a real option)

876571-Sea_crashing_on_rocks-Animal_Flower_Cave.jpg

The Wildlife Reserve was really a zoo - some of the animals were wandering around, but some were in cages. It wasn't what I'd call a special must-see destination.

2046810-Flamingos-Barbados.jpg

Archived