Easy Jet luggage restrictions

I will be traveling Easy Jet Airlines between Paris and Venice later this year. I have read that they have very strict weight rules for their baggage and charge hefty fees for surpassing their guidleines.

I know the stow away bag limit is 44 lbs. Are there any restrictions (other than the usual "fit in overhead compartments or under the seat in front of you" for carry-ons such as weight? What are the fees for any luggage over the limit?

Thank you for you help.

I will be traveling Easy Jet Airlines between Paris and Venice later this year. I have read that they have very strict weight rules for their baggage and charge hefty fees for surpassing their guidleines.

I know the stow away bag limit is 44 lbs. Are there any restrictions (other than the usual "fit in overhead compartments or under the seat in front of you" for carry-ons such as weight? What are the fees for any luggage over the limit?

Thank you for you help.

They charge 9 euros for each Kg (2.2lbs) excess. Yes they are strict about it. Also if you haven't already paid at the time of booking for your hold bags they will charge 15 euros per hold bag at the airport check in.

Your carry on does not have a weight restriction, though beware if they think you look like you are struggling to carry it they will make you check it in! It should not exceed 55x40x20cm in size.

Note that on your checked in luggage, if there are two of you travelling, you can have a total weight of 40kg, one bag can weigh upto 32kg, and the other the remaining 8kg.

Hope this helps.

As above post says you will find all necessary info on their website.

In addition to weight limits etc you are only allowed one piece of carry on lggage per person - this means if a lady is carrying a handbag - then that is classed as the carry on piece - a handbag can be carried on if it fits well into another bag.

1 standard piece of carry-on baggage to max dimensions of 55x40x20cm (21x15x7.5 inches, when I used online-conversion) including wheels, handles etc. (and yes: stick your purse, laptop, briefcase inside).

For bags checked into the cargo hold: each standard piece is charged 3.99GBP/$7.91USD if checked in online, or 8GBP/$15.87 if checked in at airport (sorry did not do Euro conversion when I did my reasearch 3 weeks ago). Standard piece does not include sports gear like skis or bicycles, or crates, which have other applicable charges and restrictions.

As for the weight, the website was so confusing, I read blogs and rants etc to figure it all out, and came to the conclusion that people, as individuals, were getting charged excess baggage fees when the weight for their carry-on and their checked bag(s), put on the scale AT THE SAME TIME, exceeded 20kgs (44lbs per my conversion). The rate charged is 6GBP per kilo , aka $12USD per 2.2 lbs over the limit.

Even though the web said you can have up to 8 pieces of paid-for checked bags, it means virtually nothing: if all your bags, put on 1 scale at the same time, go over 20kgs/44lbs, you must pay excess baggage fees. Also, you cannot split the difference with your traveling companion--you can't say "I am traveling with my spouse whose bag is 5lbs under limit, and mine is over 5lbs over limit, so lets call it even"--that has failed.

Seems people feel the allowances are purposely ambigous so that Easyjet can nail you with excess fees, from what I've read. Yet I also read Easyjet is more generous with allowances than RyanAir. I guess it is more generous, but just not CLEAR. And the above is my own careful interpretation after much studying. Better to err on side of caution, I feel.

Also, should add I bought a small luggage scale at Target, but went to Walmart this week and found exact same scale sold in the fishing gear area of the sports department for HALF the price but labeled as a fish scale! Both come with a built in tape measure, are small and lightweight enough to bring on trip. It will bring peace of mind, for sure. And nothing to legally stop you from *wearing* 6 shirts at once to lighten the luggage load :)

Thanks everyone.

I am not to concerned about paying a little extra, however:

"As for the weight, the website was so confusing, I read blogs and rants etc to figure it all out, and came to the conclusion that people, as individuals, were getting charged excess baggage fees when the weight for their carry-on and their checked bag(s), put on the scale AT THE SAME TIME, exceeded 20kgs (44lbs per my conversion). The rate charged is 6GBP per kilo , aka $12USD per 2.2 lbs over the limit. "

scares me a little. It will be tough to keep one bag under 44 lbs and impossible for two. If that is true, my carryon will cost more than the ticket.

I have purchased a ticket, would I be able to go online and add a stowed bag for the cheaper rate in advance? This way I can stow 3 bags, my wife can carry her purse, which probably wouldn't fit in the other bags, and I can still bring our essentials in the carryon in the event of a baggage loss.

How are they with losing bags. This is a direct flight so as long as I get to the airport 2.5 hours before the flight, I feel my chances are good of collecting all my luggage after the flight.

Thanks everyone.

I am not to concerned about paying a little extra, however:

"As for the weight, the website was so confusing, I read blogs and rants etc to figure it all out, and came to the conclusion that people, as individuals, were getting charged excess baggage fees when the weight for their carry-on and their checked bag(s), put on the scale AT THE SAME TIME, exceeded 20kgs (44lbs per my conversion). The rate charged is 6GBP per kilo , aka $12USD per 2.2 lbs over the limit. "

scares me a little. It will be tough to keep one bag under 44 lbs and impossible for two. If that is true, my carryon will cost more than the ticket.

I have purchased a ticket, would I be able to go online and add a stowed bag for the cheaper rate in advance? This way I can stow 3 bags, my wife can carry her purse, which probably wouldn't fit in the other bags, and I can still bring our essentials in the carryon in the event of a baggage loss.

How are they with losing bags. This is a direct flight so as long as I get to the airport 2.5 hours before the flight, I feel my chances are good of collecting all my luggage after the flight.

Yes, you can pay the stowed baggage fee online ahead of time. However, the stowed baggage fee is in addition to excess weight fees, so be careful because it could be pricey.

I'm not sure what their track record is for losing bags; I've only flown easyjet once and I didn't check any luggage.

It will be tough to keep one bag under 44 lbs and impossible for two. If that is true, my carryon will cost more than the ticket.
When flying on a low-fare carrier, the price of the ticket is often just the beginning of what you have to pay, pay, pay. It's always worth looking very carefully at the total amount that you're going to be in for before you book. Being seduced by the headline ticket price is one of their main marketing methods.

Having said that, 20 kg or 44 lb per person is about the standard international checked baggage allowance, so easyJet isn't being particularly stingy here. The main exception to that standard is North American flights, but the rest of the world generally manages to live with that allowance!

We fly regularly with both Easyjet and Ryanair. Easyjet is far more generous than Ryanair. Last summer we flew to Cork in Ireland for a wedding. We checked in only one bag. We had our wedding finery in the suitcase going out and the same coming back. We added no additional shopping or luggage to the case as we were there for only two nights (the outgoing flight was five hours late with no explanation) and we had no time for shopping. We checked in fine at Stansted and our case weighed 17kg. Coming back from Cork we were told that we had to pay 18 euros excess baggage! We had to pay this amount before my DH could get a boarding pass. The same thing has happened at Cork to other relatives. Give me Easyjet anytime.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, a little late to reply to this - but hopefully someone can still help. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm still awfully confused :confused:

Even after reading their website, and searching through posts on here, I still need some clarification.

If I book 2 tickets for, say, 100 euros. We have two bags (combined) that we want to check, but they are under the weight limit, we do not have to pay anything in addition to the 100 euros, correct?

Or is there a fee to check ANYTHING at all - and then an additional fee if you go over the weight restrictions?

Help, please! TIA :)

We have two bags (combined) that we want to check, but they are under the weight limit, we do not have to pay anything in addition to the 100 euros, correct?

Or is there a fee to check ANYTHING at all - and then an additional fee if you go over the weight restrictions?

There is a fee to check any bags (£5 or £10 per bag depending on when and how you pay). And if you exceed 20 kg per person, you pay more per excess kg.

Thank you for you help.

Try this website better luggage allowance www.vueling.com from cdg

Archived