The Things You Really Need On A Cruise, And Yet Might Forget To Take With You

Boiler Cruiser

My wife and I are taking our first cruise in October, 2008. I am not one to leave things to the last minute, particularly gathering those miscellaneous items that we will need on our trip.

It strikes me that there are many things that experienced cruisers know not to forget or know not to leave at home. There are, I'm sure, small things, seemingly insignificant things, mundane things, and ordinary things that experienced cruisers make sure they have, because not having them is a noticeable inconvenience or downright pain in the &%$@#!.

For myself and those others out there who are preparing for their first cruise, what suggestions do you veteran cruisers have? What small, insignificant, mundane and ordinary (or not so small, insignificant, mundane, or ordinary) things should be on my "must have" list of things to talk with me on the cruise.

Your suggestions will be helpful in completing our shopping & acquisition list.

Thanks.

Here are some of my odd items:

Clothespins for hanging laundry off the retractable line in the shower/tub or just securing item on a balcony chair.

Insulated coffee mugs with lids - great for bringing back the early morning coffee to the cabin (this way only one person has to get up and go get the coffee!)

Stick ums and pens -- for leaving notes to each other in the cabin - schedules can get busy and ships are huge!

Mini-medical kit for sunburn, scrapes, headaches, tummy upset, etc. saves money by bringing your own little kit; same goes for a little sewing kit.

Swiss Army knife with lots of different blades -- so handy.

A lint brush (the ones with the tear off strips are the best! Always an important item to have on hand as well as one of those little shoe polish kits in clear (so you can use it with any colour shoe).

Something cozy to wear in your cabin, e.g. sweat pants and hoody and cuddle socks.

Eye glass cleaner and cloth.

Just a few ideas to get you started.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Kathy:)

We always bring walkie talkies. They really come in handy. Also, bring a travel clock as there are no clocks in the rooms. Highlighters are great for highlighting your daily activities sheet. Last but not least, bring a smile.....it will take you a long way.

Cruise Chick

Clothes pins: Not just for hanging laundry, but to hold curtains closed, etc.

Power strip: for plugging in all those gadgets (ie: camera, ipod, etc.) that need charging.

Over the door shoe rack: I put it on the bathroom door. GREAT for storing toiletries, gadgets, etc.

Post It Notes: Great for leaving messages for cabin mates, room stewards, and also handy for leaving notes on friends/families cabin doors.

Retractable Reel Name Badge clip: We have the desk punch a hole in our room key, then attach them to the reel. Clips to your pocket and makes card easily accessible! graphic.jpg

Different colored highlighter for each member of your group. We highlight the activities on the daily itinerary sheet that we plan on attending; makes it quick and easy to see where other members of your group are!

Few more:

Water wallets if planning on going to the beach.

Spare batteries and battery charger for camera(s)

Money pouch (my DH wears over the neck style and I have a pin to the bra one) for non-beach sight seeing.

Boiler Cruise, where are you going on your cruise? Suggestions/ideas will be different depending on your itinerary.

Few more:

Water wallets if planning on going to the beach.

Spare batteries and battery charger for camera(s)

Money pouch (my DH wears over the neck style and I have a pin to the bra one) for non-beach sight seeing.

Boiler Cruise, where are you going on your cruise? Suggestions/ideas will be different depending on your itinerary.

Kathy,

My DW and I are going on a 10-day cruise on the Island Princess to Aruba, Cartagena, Colombia; Panama Canal (Partial transit); Costa Rica; and Jamaica.

Any particular suggestions?

Gordon

Gordon, we were on RCI's partial Panama in January -- wonderful cruise.

Have been to all the ports except Columbia. Definitely make sure to have good sun protection - lotions as well as hats and/or shirts; the sun is very intense.

We stayed on the ship for the Panama portion of the cruise rather than taking an excursion and were very pleased with how much there was to see during the day.

If you plan at taking any excursions outside of the main port areas I would highly recommend bringing bug spray and checking at the US site for Travel Advisories or recommendations.

Shopping tip: Rosewood or other exotic wood pieces in Costa Rica are reasonable and absolute lovely. We bought two french bread serving trays and a chopping board. We brought some bubble wrap with us as we anticipated buying some wood pieces (did the same for Med. cruise last summer).

We found it useful to read some of the cruise reviews (at the front of this forum) posted by others. We attended onboard lectures regarding the construction of the Panama which enhanced our appreciation of the locks and canal. Also we asked at the Purser's Desk for a map of the Panama which was excellent (free).

Here is the link to pictures from our cruise in January.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562235585VYyJDZ

Have a wonderful cruise.

Just was reminded of something else while reading another post. Bring some sort of air freshener. Like Frebreeze or Lysol or Airwick. Small roomn not much room to air out if you know what I mean. We avoid my DH and his bathroom like the plaque. Can't do that in these tiny cabins. Also, my best friend and her "boyfriend" are going with us on our next cruise in less 2 weeks and she doesn't want to be embarassed. She already has her matches and air freshener packed.

I pack a light weight book sack for excursions. My DH doesn't mind carrying it(not girly looking) and we are able to put alot in it both from the ship(sunscreen, maps, towels) and what we may buy.

Both HAL, and Princess have given us nice canvas bags, we have several, they also sell them, but the price is $20.00.

john

We also bring various size "baggies"; have used them for ice bags, repacking shampoo/conditioner bottles, bringing cookies back to the cabin, packing wet suits from the beach, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Tote bag - I have forgotten one too many times. Good suggestion. Useful for poolside, beach outings and shopping ashore.

Air freshener is a plus, I pack car scent air freshener, smaller to pack, quite effective for bathroom odors.

Most cabin TVs now have audio/video hookups for ipods/laptops, don't forget your cables.

Ethernet cable for your laptop to use in the cabin, if your cruise line has internet access in the cabin. Saves the hassle of checking one out/in, and security deposit.

A pocket sized list of all your meds, dose strength and frequency, kept on you just like ID and cruise card, especially while ashore. This has been useful for me, unfortunately. Don't expect spouses or family to be helpful with this information in case of an emergency. That wouldn't be fair. Credit card size laminate pockets can be picked up at most office supply stores, makes the list more durable.

Cushioned insoles are nice. Never need 'em at home, but find I'm on my feet more, and in heels more than usual on cruises.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I recommend bringing:

1. A small sewing kit (with safety pins)-- for broken straps and popping buttons (we all know why)

2. Super glue -- fixes broken nails, loose shoe soles, etc.

3. A list of your friends email addresses -- I've forgotten this twice and get frustrated that I can't send a message.

4. A few Fabric Softener Sheets -- rub on closes to get rid of static, store in drawers and suitcase to make everything (including your room) smell great.

5. "Kiss Off "-- or any other portable stain remover. Shout has stain wipes in packets. Or there's the Tide pen. I love that one!

6. Pocket Note Pad -- you'll need it to make notes of new friends' emails/addresses, favorite wines, etc.

7. Cables -- Don't forget the iPod, camera, video, computer, phone, etc chargers!

8. Remember to load new music, books, and movies on iPod. I love to listen to books when I lounge on deck!

Archived