Do they still have a semi-formal night?

OK.....it's been 2 years since our last cruise and I remember that in addition to the 2 formal nights there was also a semi-formal night. Is this still done? Just want to pack accordingly.

Many thanks!!

No "semi-formal"---on longer cruises (10+ nights) they will have "smart casual", which isn't much different than casual, really. Some men will wear jackets, but most just wear their best golf shirt! Women will be dressed a little better than the men (but that's almost every night!) Hey--we gotta look good!

I don't know which ship/itinerary you're going on, but on the last few cruises I've taken, there was no "semi-formal" designation - aside from the 2 formal nights, the rest were just called "smart casual". I remember seeing "semi-formal" in the past, but I can't remember what the difference was. Anyway, it seems to have been abandoned, at least for Carnival, RCI & Princess Caribbean cruises.

Actually on a 7 day cruise there are 2 formal nights, 1 smart casual, and the rest are casual. The smart casual is supposed to be a sport coat, tie and slacks for men, and a nice dress or pants outfit for women. On our cruise in March there were several men that just opted to wear a sport coat and polo shirt with slacks instead of the tie. Of course, you always see a myriad of outfits, but I will say that most of the folks adhered to onboard policy. :cool:

On my last three cruises there were only formal and smart casual nights, no semi formal.

Perhaps you meant "only formal and casual nights" as the dress code for smart casual requires a jacket for men. Our experience is that it varies from ship to ship since we've been on several sailing that did not have a smart casual night.

On most of the ships we've been on the great majority of passengers observed the dress suggestions for formal nights but did not show much enthusiasm for the smart casual nights. Most of the guys were dressed like they did on casual nights and jackets were definately in the minority.

With airlines are making deep cuts in the amount of luggage allowed. We think that the smart casual nights are fading away.

Perhaps you meant "only formal and casual nights" as the dress code for smart casual requires a jacket for men. Our experience is that it varies from ship to ship since we've been on several sailing that did not have a smart casual night.

Sorry, its still early for me. :o Yes I meant formal and casual.;)

On most of the ships we've been on the great majority of passengers observed the dress suggestions for formal nights but did not show much enthusiasm for the smart casual nights. Most of the guys were dressed like they did on casual nights and jackets were definately in the minority.

With airlines are making deep cuts in the amount of luggage allowed. We think that the smart casual nights are fading away.

Pete...I was thinking exactly the same thing. Of course, we did manage to get ALL our clothing into two bags and we each had a carryon. But, we were close to the 50 lb. limit on the bags! - CB

Archived