Mariner: What are the promenade cabins like and is this ship fun for teenagers?

Apparently the search function is not currently working so I am posting this question which I am sure has been asked and answered many times before... .

We are looking at booking the promenade cabins (the interior cabins with the windows) but are wondering if they might be too noisy. If you had this type of cabin, did you like it/hate it?

For those of you with families, specifically teenage boys or girls, did they have fun on the Mariner? We are looking at this ship for next year's spring break. We sailed Carnival for spring break 06 and the boys had a blast; the next year, spring break 07, we sailed NCL and there really wasn't much for the boys to do. If your family sailed Mariner (on the Mexican Riviera Cruise), were there lots of kids?

Thanks!

Kathi

The Voyager class ships are full of activities;

There's roller blading, mini golf, basketball, rock wall climbing, ice skating, swimming, golf simulator, etc. etc..

Never a dull momemt; if you want to kick it up a notch, book on a Freedom Class ship - Liberty of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas; they have all of the above PLUS a surfing simulator and a regulation boxing ring for sparring! And a waterpark!

Can't beat these ships.

As far as the promenade rooms, if you are going with an inside, they are the best; you have a view of the Royal Promenade, which is an indoor promenade literally; a cobblestone walkway throught the center of the ship with shops and dining and activities like parades.

Great for people-watching.

The rooms have a window that overlooks the promenade; no day light, but at least a window to look inward.

Have fun, they will lOVE IT!

Hi I just traveled the Mariner last summer with my then almost 16 year old daughter, who had an absolute BLAST! Saw her about 1-2 hours a day at most. From the first hour on the ship she "found friends" and was out and about meeting and mingling with the youngpeople almost immediately. (They seem to gravitate toward each other - its a natural instinct) Never heard a peep out of her that there was nothing to do or that she was bored. She was so occupied by her day, that I was really happy to spend time together on excursions or at the dinner table I really missed her. That was literally the only time we spent together. She came on this cruise as the sole teenager with the family and left with a cellphone full of new friends to text message to :D

Apparently the search function is not currently working so I am posting this question which I am sure has been asked and answered many times before... .

We are looking at booking the promenade cabins (the interior cabins with the windows) but are wondering if they might be too noisy. If you had this type of cabin, did you like it/hate it?

For those of you with families, specifically teenage boys or girls, did they have fun on the Mariner? We are looking at this ship for next year's spring break. We sailed Carnival for spring break 06 and the boys had a blast; the next year, spring break 07, we sailed NCL and there really wasn't much for the boys to do. If your family sailed Mariner (on the Mexican Riviera Cruise), were there lots of kids?

Thanks!

Kathi

I and my DD had a promenade cabin....loved it . It was our first cruise. It is high enough above the promenade so there was no noise ..yet you can look down to a lot of things going on. The views are obstructed in a lot of places but still alot to see without being right in to it.:D

As for kids program sorry we went without kids. But they must of been weel occupied because the only we time we say them was at meal times.

Thanks!

Kathi

Kathi, if you will go to the top of the posts on this board, you will see in the yellow navigation bar: Search This Thread. Click on that. In the box, type Promenade. Click GO. You will be able to see threads that contain this term, and the title will tell you if it's about Promenade cabins.

Happy cruising! ;)

Oh, I hope your Spring break is the same as ours! My teenage daughter (who will be 16½ by next year) and I are going on April 5-12. I know she would like to meet some kids around her age.

We're staying in a Promenade cabin, midship. I thought it looked so unique and the closest thing to having an outside window! More to see, that's for sure! :D

The Mariner has never sailed on the Mexican Riviera before. That's why we're so excited to have one of these huge ships come out West. I can't wait! :) We always sail down there during Spring break and on 7 days cruises, there are usually an abundance of kids and teens. Last year one of my grown daughters and I took a 10 day cruise on Princess out of SF and only part of it was during our Spring break, so not as busy with kids. Same with another 10 day sailing I took a few years earlier with her twin sister. You usually see a lot of families on the 7 day Spring break sailings down to Mexico.

I hope you book for April 5th! We have a Roll Call going on. :p By the way, we're in California, too. Santa Cruz, to be exact. :)

Thanks!

Kathi

I can't comment about the Promenade cabin because we've never booked one, but I have peeked inside them before and they look quite nice actually.

As for teens on Mariner, they will absolutely have a wonderful time. Our girls have been twice and loved it.

To Good as Gold: Yes, that is exactly when we are going on our Spring Break Cruise. Sounds like the Mariner has a lot of fun activities.

Merion Mom: I tried the search function but I kept getting an error message. Then I saw the "sticky note" stating that it was not working, so I just went ahead and posted the question. But thanks for the info on how to search!

Whadyunuts: Glad to know there are lots of kids and that your daughter had a blast. Yes, I understand completely about the dinner time. That was the only time we ever saw our kids (my one son and our friends' sons)

the entire cruise.

To all the rest: Thanks for the info on the promenade cabins. They looked like a good idea. Not so dark all the time inside the cabin! Thanks also for the info about all the kids on the ships. Our kids all have so much more fun when they can meet and mingle with all of the other kids. And yes, they come home with lots of new friends to text and IM on myspace.com.

They were just so disappointed with the NCL cruise, I wanted to make sure RCL would be as much fun for them as the Carnival cruise.

Hi katgilm!

If you check out the Roll Call area here on the forum, you'll see a 4/5/09 sailing. There are a few of us who have posted recently. It's nice to see someone who will have some teens. How old will they be next April? Did you say you had one or two sons?

This will be my daughter's 7th cruise. Her third one as a teenager. She turned 13 on the ship when we went with my husband's large family to Alaska back in '05. It was NCL and like you, we were disappointed. But she loves Carnival and Princess. We took a 4 day on the Ecstasy with 3 of her friends and their moms when they were 14. I have a feeling she'll really love RCI---at least the Mariner! Me, too, I hope. My husband isn't going this time. Just a Mom and Daughter cruise (on which we'll probably rarely see one another) :rolleyes:

Talk to you later!

To Good as Gold: Yes, that is exactly when we are going on our Spring Break Cruise. Sounds like the Mariner has a lot of fun activities.

Merion Mom: I tried the search function but I kept getting an error message. Then I saw the "sticky note" stating that it was not working, so I just went ahead and posted the question. But thanks for the info on how to search!

Whadyunuts: Glad to know there are lots of kids and that your daughter had a blast. Yes, I understand completely about the dinner time. That was the only time we ever saw our kids (my one son and our friends' sons)

the entire cruise.

To all the rest: Thanks for the info on the promenade cabins. They looked like a good idea. Not so dark all the time inside the cabin! Thanks also for the info about all the kids on the ships. Our kids all have so much more fun when they can meet and mingle with all of the other kids. And yes, they come home with lots of new friends to text and IM on myspace.com.

They were just so disappointed with the NCL cruise, I wanted to make sure RCL would be as much fun for them as the Carnival cruise.

Oh, I hope your Spring break is the same as ours! My teenage daughter (who will be 16½ by next year) and I are going on April 5-12. I know she would like to meet some kids around her age.

We are looking to book on the cruise also. Should have it done by the end of the week. My oldest that will be with us will be 16 1/2 also at that time. I am sure they will have plenty to talk about.

Peter

Good as Gold: I have one son who will be 16 1/2 then. We also travel with two other families who also have all boys. Their sons' ages will be 16, 15 and 13.

I haven't booked yet but I will probably do so this week.

Kathi

We were in a promanade room on the Freedom of the Seas in Oct..... Be sure you keep the drapes closed..... Hubby was looking out the window and then left to get something downstairs and I came out of the shower into a room with the drapes open and 2 young gentlemen sitting on the bed in the room directly across the promanade watching television ,and OOOOOOOHHHHHHH so much more.... I had to crawl on the floor and try to close the drapes while not exposing myself .... Now that was a funny site... the rooms are not staggered they are directly across...

Have fun though .....

We were in a promanade room on the Freedom of the Seas in Oct..... Be sure you keep the drapes closed..... Hubby was looking out the window and then left to get something downstairs and I came out of the shower into a room with the drapes open and 2 young gentlemen sitting on the bed in the room directly across the promanade watching television ,and OOOOOOOHHHHHHH so much more.... I had to crawl on the floor and try to close the drapes while not exposing myself .... Now that was a funny site... the rooms are not staggered they are directly across...

Have fun though .....

Lmaoooooo:D I have to laugh my DD and i were in a promenade room and i had the curtains open waiting on her to get ready she is 32 and when she came out of the bath room all i can say is the man across the way got an eye full:eek: I rolled i was laughing so hard while trying to close the curtain.:D We still laugh about it today.

My kids LOVED the Mariner (at the time they were 10, 12 and 15, back in 2005). Great activities. Our Freedom cruise was the best so far, but the Voyager class cruises we have taken are awesome for them (and my hubby and I too of course!)

Have a great time, your kids will too ;)

Hi Peter,

It's good to know there will be another teen her age! You forgot to mention---a boy or a girl? Either way, like you said, they'll have plenty to talk about, I'm sure. :)

We are looking to book on the cruise also. Should have it done by the end of the week. My oldest that will be with us will be 16 1/2 also at that time. I am sure they will have plenty to talk about.

Peter

Hi Kathi,

Well, it looks like there won't be a shortage of boys for her to hang out with. :p Awhile back she was begging me to change our cabin so her girlfriend can come along. But, I refuse to move out of our Promenade cabin. I wish they slept 3, but they don't. And, I told my daughter that this particular type of stateroom is something I want to try. Since were sticking to a lower budget, it's this or a regular inside room. I've done my share of those, so the PR category seems like a unique compromise.:)

I'm sure she'll meet other teens on board. She certainly had no problem finding friends during our cruises back when she was 9 and 10. I knooowwww, sometimes it's harder for teens to meet and mingle. I'm sure she'll go to the teen clubs and connect with other kids.

Good as Gold: I have one son who will be 16 1/2 then. We also travel with two other families who also have all boys. Their sons' ages will be 16, 15 and 13.

I haven't booked yet but I will probably do so this week.

Kathi

As long as you aren't a morning person, the noise isn't bad. We're morning people - usually in bed by 9 at the latest and the noise can actually be pretty bad - and not only during the parades. That being said, it's not enough to keep me from looking at booking a PR for our upcoming cruise - dealing with the noise is still better than not sailing at all!

Archived