Anyone Know Of A Nice Place In Bayonne

jobowl

When we went on this cruise in February, there were lots of people looking at various options. The Best Western in Newark was the only place that offered transportation to the port and a lot of people were going to do this, but it fizzled out in the end. The reviews of the hotel were mixed; however, I think it would be OK with you just as long as you are realistic about it. I'm convinced that people often have high expectations and when something goes wrong they write a bad review, but when everything is OK, they don't say anything.

You might want to consider just staying there the first night to get the parking and shuttle and staying somewhere else when you return.

Thanks for the info Tigers2 and 138East.

I will have enough Marriott points for a night at Springhill Suites so I need to call them and see if there is anything to do about the parking. The shuttle at CI&S really isn't worth it for us since there are 4 of us and the added price is more than our private car service quote.

I too have read mixed reviews about the Best Western. The CI&S seems to keep changing its mind about whether or not it is offering shuttle service packages depending on the date you are going. I still have 10 months, but I would like to get this ironed out and decided on.

We got a quote from AMS for us from the Newark area hotels for 4 of us plus a lot of luggage for around $42. Depending on the hotel, the cost of parking changes and some nights may even be including in the hotel cost.

I was quoted $90 each way for 4 people with 4 pieces of luggage. Make sure you get your rate in writing if you book with AMS.

I was quoted $90 each way for 4 people with 4 pieces of luggage. Make sure you get your rate in writing if you book with AMS.

From where to where? They emailed the quote to me and it was from a Newark area hotel to the Bayonne port.

We got a quote from AMS for us from the Newark area hotels for 4 of us plus a lot of luggage for around $42. Depending on the hotel, the cost of parking changes and some nights may even be including in the hotel cost.

What hotel quoted you $8/day for parking?

Better recheck the price for AMS. This is EXTREMELY cheap. Did you by chance pick the Sedan option??? If so, there will not be enough room for 4 passengers and luggage. The driver DOES NOT have to allow someone to sit in front.

The Best Western is not a very nice hotel. And the area is disgusting and dangerous. Even my truck driver employees won't stay there anymore. Just too "iffy" and too many weirdos hanging around.

If you are driving, why you would use anything other than your own vehicle to get to the port is beyond me. You have to schlepp luggage an extra couple of times using other transport-out of the car/ship/hotel and into the shuttle and reverse. Leave your cruise clothes in the truck when you go to the hotel, then just drop the bags and pax off the morning of the cruise. Park the car and you are done. Plus you have to find/possibly wait around for your driver. Stay on the ship until the last possible minute, go to your car and go wherever you want.

And with your own car, you can stay in a whole variety of new hotels, not just ones that are closest to the port.

The night before your cruise-stay away from the area-you may even want to stay in the Poconos (if it is not high season-about 2 hour drive to the port). Decent hotels in Parsippany, Morristown, West Orange, etc. etc. Then drive to the port in the morning AFTER 10:00AM. MUCH better bang for the buck

After your cruise-the easiest access to NYC is from the Newark Hilton Penn Station or from the hotels in Jersey City/Pavonia/Newport. The Days Inn (used to be a Holiday Inn) in North Bergen has a very inexpensive shuttle to NYC and reasonable prices. And the Sheraton at the Meadowlands can usually be booked on Priceline for under $100.00 (3*-Meadowlands/Rutherford area). It is not as easy to get into NYC from the Sheraton as it once was, but it is doable, the price is right and the hotel is very nice.

Better recheck the price for AMS. This is EXTREMELY cheap. Did you by chance pick the Sedan option??? If so, there will not be enough room for 4 passengers and luggage. The driver DOES NOT have to allow someone to sit in front.

The Best Western is not a very nice hotel. And the area is disgusting and dangerous. Even my truck driver employees won't stay there anymore. Just too "iffy" and too many weirdos hanging around.

If you are driving, why you would use anything other than your own vehicle to get to the port is beyond me. You have to schlepp luggage an extra couple of times using other transport-out of the car/ship/hotel and into the shuttle and reverse. Leave your cruise clothes in the truck when you go to the hotel, then just drop the bags and pax off the morning of the cruise. Park the car and you are done. Plus you have to find/possibly wait around for your driver. Stay on the ship until the last possible minute, go to your car and go wherever you want.

And with your own car, you can stay in a whole variety of new hotels, not just ones that are closest to the port.

The night before your cruise-stay away from the area-you may even want to stay in the Poconos (if it is not high season-about 2 hour drive to the port). Decent hotels in Parsippany, Morristown, West Orange, etc. etc. Then drive to the port in the morning AFTER 10:00AM. MUCH better bang for the buck

After your cruise-the easiest access to NYC is from the Newark Hilton Penn Station or from the hotels in Jersey City/Pavonia/Newport. The Days Inn (used to be a Holiday Inn) in North Bergen has a very inexpensive shuttle to NYC and reasonable prices. And the Sheraton at the Meadowlands can usually be booked on Priceline for under $100.00 (3*-Meadowlands/Rutherford area). It is not as easy to get into NYC from the Sheraton as it once was, but it is doable, the price is right and the hotel is very nice.

The quote was for an SUV that they said would not have a problem for 4 people and 8 plus suitcases. It is in writing. It was significantly lower than all of the other quotes we received but it was in line with quotes that others had for AMS.

We are looking at the Marriott hotels in the area not the Best Western. I had read a lot of bad reviews about the Best Western and have not considered it since. Just to help you with the math behind our reasoning, a 12 night cruise at $16 per night parking is $192. With the $84 RT car service, we are saving a lot of money that I can use for shore excursions or souveniers. On a shorter cruise, this would not be as big of an issue for me, but $192 for parking would almost pay for airfare for a couple of us to New Jersey.

Since we will be staying in the hotel overnight, we will be slepping our suitcases any way. Our van does not have dark tinted windows and I have learned to never leave suitcases visible in a vehicle in a hotel parking lot. We have had family members and friends whose windows were broken by thieves even when the hotels were in extremely good neighborhoods and the parking lots were well lit.

When we took a limo service once before, he slepped all of our suitcases for us, so we actually did less than if we had to load them back into our own car.

My final reason is that it is nice to get into the car and not have to worry about traffic, figuring out where you are going and other such things. I really enjoyed our previous limo experience and the ease with which we got to and from the port.

Thank you for the info on the hotels for after our cruise. Because March weather can be really unpredictable, I want to be close to the port the night before the cruise. A big thing for me on vacation is to not stress and we find it much easier to be close to the port the night before the cruise. There are several Marriott chain hotels in the area with very reasonable prices. I also participate in their points program and several are at the lower end of the point scale for staying on points as well. Do you know if the Springhill Suites in Newark is close to transportation into the city? If not, is there somewhere to drive and then park to take transportation into the city?

Each person has their own way of doing things. Just because you don't understand why someone would do something in a way that is different than you, that does not make their way wrong.

Thanks for the information concerning the Best Western!

I guess my goals were:

1. Price

2. Time Management

3. Stress

In June if there is a way to Pay the $144 for parking and around $100 per night hotel, I guess that would be a win/win situation! I could arrive at the pier early around (10:00), have the freedom of leaving after the cruise with no shuttle stress and only pay an additional $50 to $75! Is this realistic?

If so where??

Thanks for the information concerning the Best Western!

I guess my goals were:

1. Price

2. Time Management

3. Stress

In June if there is a way to Pay the $144 for parking and around $100 per night hotel, I guess that would be a win/win situation! I could arrive at the pier early around (10:00), have the freedom of leaving after the cruise with no shuttle stress and only pay an additional $50 to $75! Is this realistic?

If so where??

As previously posted, Sheraton Meadowlands (or the Renaissance-same area), is generally available for about $100.00 per night on Priceline. Bid 3*, start bidding about $70.00. About 10 miles north of the cruise port. Right off I-95 South, Exit 16 West. Cruise port is exit 14 to Rt. 440.

Just to help you with the math behind our reasoning, a 12 night cruise at $16 per night parking is $192. With the $84 RT car service, we are saving a lot of money that I can use for shore excursions or souveniers. On a shorter cruise, this would not be as big of an issue for me, but $192 for parking would almost pay for airfare for a couple of us to New Jersey.

What you seem to forget in your calculations-the cost of parking at the hotel. None of the park/sleep deals have free parking, even though it may appear that way. For example: Country Inn and Suites-Elizabeth, NJ. Room WITHOUT extended parking $134.00 + taxes. Room with up to 2 weeks parking-$184.00 + taxes. Just one example-$50.00 to park. Most are even more expensive and only allow 7-8 days parking.

And there are VERY few hotels in the area that have park/sleep deals. Most will charge a daily parking rate-otherwise, local residents would pay for a night at the hotel and park their car while they vacation or travel for business. Off-site parking at the airport is about $13.00 per day CHEAPEST.

I spend a lot of time for business in the Newark/Bayonne area, in and around the airport and port. I think I have tried out most of the hotels. I sure wouldn't stay at any of the airport hotels unless I absolutely had to. Crappy area, lots of traffic on 1 & 9. Few places to eat without loading in the car and driving. There are just better places for a whole variety of reasons. But there again, the further away you get from the airport/port, the more expensive the transportation to the port. For all those reasons, I still suggest you drive your car to the port. But obviously you have to make the best decision for you.

As previously posted, Sheraton Meadowlands (or the Renaissance-same area), is generally available for about $100.00 per night on Priceline. Bid 3*, start bidding about $70.00. About 10 miles north of the cruise port. Right off I-95 South, Exit 16 West. Cruise port is exit 14 to Rt. 440.

Can you tell me if the Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites is in this area? Would the Embassy Suites also be considered a 3*on Priceline?

Our situation has changed so I have some new info and some new questions.

Someone on our Roll Call has graciously offered to allow us to park in their driveway and we are all going to share a ride in which will cut prices for everyone.

Greatam - I have used my points to book the Courtyard in Paramus (about 30 minutes from their house). I was able to get a special points deal, so it didn't use very many points. Do you know if this is an OK area and hotel?

I use Priceline a lot when I travel for business, but I am always afraid to for family trips since they do not guarantee a room that will hold 4 people and that is what we have. In fact, twice with Priceline I have been given rooms with only one bed.

Tigers2 and Greatam - I have booked (fully refundable so I can change if I find out it is a bad hotel) the Homewood Suites Cranford for 2 nights after our cruise. Using a AAA discount, we were able to book a suite with 2 beds and a sofa sleeper (ideal for us since I have 2 teens one boy and one girl) for $98/night plus taxes (which are 15%). It doesn't seem like this is too bad of a location for getting into the city. Our other choice was the Springhill Suites since I participate in Marriott rewards, but their rooms have now increased to $143/night.

I haven't been to New York City or anywhere in the general area since I was in college, so I do appreciate your knowledge of the area and help.

Can you tell me if the Hampton Inn or Embassy Suites is in this area? Would the Embassy Suites also be considered a 3*on Priceline?

There are both to the East of the Sheraton about 2-3 miles.

Embassy Suites is GENERALLY 3* on Priceline. Embassy Suites is in the SECAUCUS area, NOT Meadowlands/Rutherford when bidding on Priceline.

Our situation has changed so I have some new info and some new questions.

Someone on our Roll Call has graciously offered to allow us to park in their driveway and we are all going to share a ride in which will cut prices for everyone.

Greatam - I have used my points to book the Courtyard in Paramus (about 30 minutes from their house). I was able to get a special points deal, so it didn't use very many points. Do you know if this is an OK area and hotel?

I think this is a new hotel or newly remodeled (it is not too far from the Truckstop we have a fuel account at). Decent area-easy access to either RT 17 or Garden State Parkway.

I use Priceline a lot when I travel for business, but I am always afraid to for family trips since they do not guarantee a room that will hold 4 people and that is what we have. In fact, twice with Priceline I have been given rooms with only one bed.

Priceline is DEFINITELY not advisable if you need 2 beds.

Tigers2 and Greatam - I have booked (fully refundable so I can change if I find out it is a bad hotel) the Homewood Suites Cranford for 2 nights after our cruise. Using a AAA discount, we were able to book a suite with 2 beds and a sofa sleeper (ideal for us since I have 2 teens one boy and one girl) for $98/night plus taxes (which are 15%). It doesn't seem like this is too bad of a location for getting into the city. Our other choice was the Springhill Suites since I participate in Marriott rewards, but their rooms have now increased to $143/night.

Are you driving into NYC???? If taking public transportation, you will need to drive to Journal Square (Jersey City) or some other place to have easy, inexpensive PATH transport to NYC. Otherwise, it will be trains and buses and quite a few transfers from Cranford.

Cranford isn't bad but it isn't the best area.

The Spring Hill Suites would be fine, but Routes 1 & 9 are not for "amateur drivers!":) You really want to be fully functional!! Eating choices in that immediate area are limited. You can take the shuttle back to the airport and hop NJ transit into NYC.

The Country Inn/Residence Inn/Courtyard Newark-Elizabeth are fine...and at least they are near a Ruby Tuesday and a mall....

Paramus is a decent area....nice of the fellow cruisers to let you park in their driveway. You can hit a couple malls if you wish!

www.njtransit.com

www.jerseygardens.com

www.westfield.com/gardenstateplaza

Are you driving into NYC???? If taking public transportation, you will need to drive to Journal Square (Jersey City) or some other place to have easy, inexpensive PATH transport to NYC. Otherwise, it will be trains and buses and quite a few transfers from Cranford.

The only thing I know for sure is that we are doing is the Statue of Liberty. I plan on driving to the NJ location where we can catch the ferry. I understand that there is parking available there.

We are also interested to see the Intrepid Air-Space-Sea museum that is supposed to re-open in October. I have not pulled out the maps and public transit web sites yet to decide if we are driving or taking PATH. My guess is path. Even though we are used to city driving, I would rather avoid it and the hastle of trying to find somewhere to park. I searched on Journal Square and it looks like there is a 2 story parking structure. On a Saturday or Sunday, how likely are we to find parking there? Do you have any other suggestions?

Again, thank you for the information.

Cranford isn't bad but it isn't the best area.

The Spring Hill Suites would be fine, but Routes 1 & 9 are not for "amateur drivers!":) You really want to be fully functional!! Eating choices in that immediate area are limited. You can take the shuttle back to the airport and hop NJ transit into NYC.

The Country Inn/Residence Inn/Courtyard Newark-Elizabeth are fine...and at least they are near a Ruby Tuesday and a mall....

Paramus is a decent area....nice of the fellow cruisers to let you park in their driveway. You can hit a couple malls if you wish!

www.njtransit.com

www.jerseygardens.com

www.westfield.com/gardenstateplaza

Thanks Meg. Shopping is not my thing on vacation. I know - I'm not normal. ;) As long as Cranford isn't too bad and no one has really bad reviews of the Homewood Suites, I think we will be staying there. The price, especially for the room arrangement for us is amazing.

The only thing I know for sure is that we are doing is the Statue of Liberty. I plan on driving to the NJ location where we can catch the ferry. I understand that there is parking available there.

We are also interested to see the Intrepid Air-Space-Sea museum that is supposed to re-open in October. I have not pulled out the maps and public transit web sites yet to decide if we are driving or taking PATH. My guess is path. Even though we are used to city driving, I would rather avoid it and the hastle of trying to find somewhere to park. I searched on Journal Square and it looks like there is a 2 story parking structure. On a Saturday or Sunday, how likely are we to find parking there? Do you have any other suggestions?

Again, thank you for the information.

Living in the NYC area all my life, all I can recommend is to NOT plan on driving around the city.... this is a link to a website that can help with routing public transportation, if you don't want to take a cab... parking just costs an absolute fortune and i always get a few gray hairs with every city block... http://www.hopstop.com/

Good luck...

:confused: Will this work? Drive to Harrisburg, Pa. Spend the night. Park my car at the train station. Take Amtrak to Penn Station, New York. Arrive around 1:00 p.m. of cruise day. Take a cab to the pier. Ship leaves at 5:00. Do the reverse when we come back from the cruse.

:confused: Will this work? Drive to Harrisburg, Pa. Spend the night. Park my car at the train station. Take Amtrak to Penn Station, New York. Arrive around 1:00 p.m. of cruise day. Take a cab to the pier. Ship leaves at 5:00. Do the reverse when we come back from the cruse.

I personally like being closer to the port on the morning of the cruise. Is there a reason why you want to do it this way? The cost of the train will add up to about the cost of the parking at the cruise terminal unless you are a long cruise.

Is your ship leaving from New York, or Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ. A cab to Bayonne would be pretty expensive. I don't know about the other pier.

We are leaving from New York. $ is not a real issue. We have never traveled by train, sounds like it may be fun. and we don't really want to drive in New York City. What will it be like when we arrive at the station in New York? Will we have to carry our luggage far to get a taxi? What will the lines be like at the port? How tough will it be to get a taxi from the pier to the train station when we return home? Is the relaxation of train travel worth the hassle when we get into the city. I'm sorry. So many questions.

How far would West Orange be from the port?

If you don't get an answer, I used Yahoo maps and plugged in the hotel address and the port address 14 Port Terminal Boulevard, Bayonne NJ 07002 to determine relative distances between different areas and the port.

People here will be better at telling you which roads have more traffic and are harder to travel like they did for me earlier in this thread.

The differences in the price quotes from AMS is a bit troubling. At least for now I have another option, and will hopefully not be dealing with scheduling the ride to the port.

We are leaving from New York. $ is not a real issue. We have never traveled by train, sounds like it may be fun. and we don't really want to drive in New York City. What will it be like when we arrive at the station in New York? Will we have to carry our luggage far to get a taxi? What will the lines be like at the port? How tough will it be to get a taxi from the pier to the train station when we return home? Is the relaxation of train travel worth the hassle when we get into the city. I'm sorry. So many questions.

I have not done AMTRAK in the US, but I have traveled by train in both Europe and in Alaska on the Alaska RR from Anchorage to Whittier for our cruise. I enjoy traveling that way. It gives you a very different perspective than driving.

I don't know about the port in NYC, but I have heard that there are a large number of taxis lined up at Cape Liberty in NJ when the ships come in and that you just hop in the first one in the line and they take you where you need.

I'm sorry that I can't help with any of your other questions since this will be my first trip to NYC since I was in college (a while ago).

Archived