Specific question for St. Maarten

crsshiplover

I know, this isn't the excursion thread, but you all have taken this itinerary so many times, I'm thinking I might get a perfect response over here...Anyone had experience with this tour called "Family and Friends Fun for the Day" that is advertised here: http://www.sxmtaxi.com/family&friends.htm

There are six of us trying to decide what we want to do, we know we want to do some shopping on both the Dutch and French sides, hit the Guavaberry place, go to Maho Beach to watch the planes, go to Sharkie's, get some great pictures, and not sure what else. Most important, we would like a good tour of the island that will be with a local and informative, rather than just driving us around.

Also, we may need a few of the older folk dropped back at the ship mid-day. I wouldn't think it would be a problem if we are paying them for the whole day at our itinerary.

Any ideas or comments? Thanks.

Maho is a great place if you go around 11:30am ... any later than 2 pm and you won't see much, but the beach is much less crowded at that time. If you're there between 12 and 2 you'll see the "biggies". On the other hand, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of your tour choices, they all sound fantastic!

Enjoy your cruise

-bb123

I know, this isn't the excursion thread, but you all have taken this itinerary so many times, I'm thinking I might get a perfect response over here...Anyone had experience with this tour called "Family and Friends Fun for the Day" that is advertised here: http://www.sxmtaxi.com/family&friends.htm

There are six of us trying to decide what we want to do, we know we want to do some shopping on both the Dutch and French sides, hit the Guavaberry place, go to Maho Beach to watch the planes, go to Sharkie's, get some great pictures, and not sure what else. Most important, we would like a good tour of the island that will be with a local and informative, rather than just driving us around.

Also, we may need a few of the older folk dropped back at the ship mid-day. I wouldn't think it would be a problem if we are paying them for the whole day at our itinerary.

Any ideas or comments? Thanks.

To tell you the truth I don't think you need an excursion or tour guide at all, you already have a good itineary that you can do on your own with the aid of a cab driver. I'd start and end the day at Sharkey's (always a good idea) as it's right there on the pier. A cab driver can take you shopping on both sides with a stop at the beach too.

I'm going to copy this over to the Port of Call section of Cruise Critic too where you'll find even more information that might be helpful so check over there too from time to time for more on it ok?

We had a blast renting a car and driving all over the island. I rented from dollar, which is not at the pier, but Edwin sent a car for us. The minivan was around 70 for the day and allowed us to explore at are own pace. Walt Disney World is actually bigger than the whole island, so it was easy to get around (once you learn that to pull into traffic, you close your eyes, honk the horn, and give it the gas:D ) Edwin even negotiated a rate for horseback riding that was quite a bit less than others were paying. My favorite stop that day was the sunset beach bar, which is at the end of the airport runway. We made that our last stop before going back to the ship. Good sandwiches, very reasonable drinks, fun atmosphere, and it is a great place to see the planes. We made that our last stop of the day and saw planes coming in, in the evening.

www.sunsetbeachbar.com

have fun,

bill

Archived