Khaki suit appropriate for formal night on Carnival

KLF

My DH has a beautiful khaki suit that he had to purchase for a wedding he was in last year. I was thinking that it may be fine for our formal nights on our cruise, he really has only worn it once. He also has a black suit, but I was thinking with the changes in the dress code the khaki suit should be fine. What do you think?

I think the khaki will be just fine. Carnival no longer has the old definition of formal anywhere on its website.

Also, I find light color suits in the hot weather places to look smashing!

I assume you are going somewhere warm

Remember Carnival has a new dress code. A suit is not even required.

What is Formal Dining Attire?

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men,

sportswear, and baseball hat.

I also like to see lighter colors in the Caribbean, a change from dark suits.

To the OP, some on the boards are still trying to adjust to the new dress code. It might take awhile and yes some might switch from Carnival to a line that is more formal. It's nice that we all have options.

Kelly

My DH has a beautiful khaki suit that he had to purchase for a wedding he was in last year. I was thinking that it may be fine for our formal nights on our cruise, he really has only worn it once. He also has a black suit, but I was thinking with the changes in the dress code the khaki suit should be fine. What do you think?

On Carnival with their new dress code? Yes, it's fine. In fact, he may be among the better dressed on board. But others are right in that you should not be blinged to the 9s along side him in a khaki suit. A traditonal church dress or something along those lines would be good. Now, if you want to glitz it up with a sparkly cocktail dress or a long gown, the black suit would be more appropriate to tie you two together as a couple.

Remember Carnival has a new dress code. A suit is not even required.

What is Formal Dining Attire?

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men,

sportswear, and baseball hat.

I also like to see lighter colors in the Caribbean, a change from dark suits.

To the OP, some on the boards are still trying to adjust to the new dress code. It might take awhile and yes some might switch from Carnival to a line that is more formal. It's nice that we all have options.

Kelly

I knew about the new dress code and that's why I was leaning toward the khaki suit. We are heading to the Bahamas in June so I thought the suit would actually be a nice, lighter change. I will also not be wearing a full length dress so I think we will compliment each other nicely.

I knew about the new dress code and that's why I was leaning toward the khaki suit. We are heading to the Bahamas in June so I thought the suit would actually be a nice, lighter change. I will also not be wearing a full length dress so I think we will compliment each other nicely.

With the new dress code definitions, I think you will both be fine dressed as described. I agree that you should dress to complement each other and a cocktail dress would be just right. Personally, I keep my church appropriate dresses for church and glam it up a bit for evening wear.

Have fun!

Now that Carnival has changed their dress code, I'm sure it would be just fine.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Since the dress code has eased up a bit, I think the khaki suit will be perfect. He had to purchase it because he was an attendant in his sister's wedding that took place beachside in Florida. At least he can wear the suit again, can't say the same about the dress I was forced to wear, lol.

Can we call it what it is at least?

I think for Carnival at least, "formal night" is a thing of the past, isn't it? Certainly not my preference (that's a whole other topic:p ) but I think it's wack to even read "khaki" and "formal" in the same sentence.

I think for Carnival at least, "formal night" is a thing of the past, isn't it? Certainly not my preference (that's a whole other topic:p ) but I think it's wack to even read "khaki" and "formal" in the same sentence.

LOL @ wack! Is it just wack or is it wiggity wiggity wack? :p

Totally agree.

Indeed, looks as though Carnival may be easing away from "Formal Nights", which I have no problem with. I actually prefer not having to get dressed up in formal attire when on vacation and just tolerated formal wear until dinner was over. Nothing against those who love it, too each his own.

This is a cruise line that considers sports jackets to be "elegant". That should tell you everything you need to know about their (lack of) standards for dinner attire.

I wouldn't quite consider it a "lack of standards" as much as a recognition of the fact that some of us like to look dressed-up and pulled together, but not necessarily in formal attire.

This is a cruise line that considers sports jackets to be "elegant". That should tell you everything you need to know about their (lack of) standards for dinner attire.

I'll have to remember that if we ever cruise Carnival. Then buy a seersucker suit for DH to wear on formal night:D

Archived