Planning ahead for Key West part of cruise

twinkle toes

Just curious if any of you seasoned cruisers to Key West can tell me of sites that shouldn't be missed there and sites that should be.:D Also, can anyone tell me ball park how much it costs for braiding there, or anywhere else on the cruise? We are going on the 4 night from Miami on Majesty. Thanks!!

If you take a trolley tour, you'll see all the highlights. You can get off and one at will. Southern most area is interesting. I also like the butterfly conservitory.

Having spents weeks at a time there, I can't say I've ever seen braiders in KW.

What do do in Key West?? Well that depends on what you are into. The Mel Fisher Museum is fairly famous if you are into historical things. There is the snorkeling, parasailing etc as well.

Most people walk down to the Southern Most Point in the US and hit the "famous" places like Margaritaville, Captain Tony's, Sloppy Joe's, etc.

There is the Key West Winery that is worth stopping into. They make a Key Lime wine that is fantastic. Tastes like a Maragarita. Their "Catagory Five" Wine is pretty good too. It is easy to find and it was on the map they give you on the ship.

It's a very small island, and very picturesque! We just wandered around the bar scene, had a few drinks, shopped a bit....There are no really good beaches there--at least--nothing like you'll find at most of the other ports.

There are trolley rides that give you a good overview of the island. Or, rent a bike--it's only 4 miles or so from one end to the other!

Unfortunately, we didn't stay there long enough to catch the sunset and all of the celebration that goes along with it! oh well!

Eight words...chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick...OMG. You haven't lived if you haven't tried it.

Let me put it this way...I'm going to be vacationing in Fort Lauderdale next week....I'm taking a day...driving TO Key West...just for my "fix". There's a number of places to find it..my favorites are a stand on Duvall street and a shop on Elizabeth Street...but I'm sure ANY local can direct you.

Make sure that if you want the option of jumping on and off the trolley that you do no book through RCI but either buy it beforehand or purchase when you get to Key West.

We're going to do this and someone warned me about not being able to get on and off with the RCI excursion. You can buy your tickets online here:

http://www.trolleytours.com/Key-West/rates-and-reservations.asp

We have cruised to Key West twice, and also stayed there twice for extended periods of time. If you love cats (and history) the Hemingway Home is not to be missed. We loved it there. We also went to tour the Truman Little White House. It was a very interesting and informative tour. There is so much history in Key West. All you have to do is walk around to see the architecture of the homes. Get your picture taken at the Southernmost Point and the Mile Marker 0 sign. I'm sure everyone has their favorite restaurant spots. Ours are Turtle Kraals, Sloppy Joe's, Margaritaville - to name a few. There is something there for everyone - of all ages. Key West is one of our favorite places. We are at the point where now a short cruise stop would never be enough time! :)

Also, can anyone tell me ball park how much it costs for braiding there, or anywhere else on the cruise?

Having spents weeks at a time there, I can't say I've ever seen braiders in KW.

Back in 2003 (maybe?) we stayed there for a long weekend and I had 3 braids done before going to watch the Monday night football game at Rick's/Dirty Harry's. (The beads were my teams colors! LOL) The booth was in the same area as the henna tattoo artists. At that time I believe I paid $2 per braid. If you are going to the Bahamas on your next stop, you will find more options there.

If you are going to Bahama's or Mexico lots more "braiding" offered there, I did see one little place on Duval that did braiding but much cheaper in mexico or bahamas!

Be sure not to miss Irish Kevins.......love love love it there!!!:) No kids alllowed

Braiding's not really big here but I'll stop short of saying you won't find it.

For a great local Key West lunch, walk to BO's Fishwagon and get a nice fish sandwich--ask for a short, that's basically like a half sub. Even then it's big. Also ask for the "special" with anything you order and you'll get free hand-cut french fries. His limeade is wonderful as well. If you don't want fish he has some of the best cheeseburgers in town.

If you do stroll by Sloppy's or Margaritaville, I would not recommend eating there. They are bars and have rather nasty kitchens. Have a beer, buy the tshirt, say you've been there.

Walk through Fast Buck Freddie's on Duval. It looks like a clothing store from the street but the back half is all really cool other stuff.

You'll find plenty to do!

We _luv_ BO's!

Also, there's a great Cuban sandwich shop run by a real sweatheart, Anna, on South St near Simonton St. It's 2 blocks from the Southernmost point marker.

We also like the burgers at Hogsbreath. (Keywesst, please dont tell me the kitchen is dirty there also...)

If you are going to Bahama's or Mexico lots more "braiding" offered there, I did see one little place on Duval that did braiding but much cheaper in mexico or bahamas!

Be sure not to miss Irish Kevins.......love love love it there!!!:) No kids alllowed

Irish Kevin's is our favorite bar in Key West. I loved the Green Alligator (a specialty drink), the entertainer/singer was so much fun and our waitress was great. We were not that impressed with Sloppy's and liked the other Margaritavilles we've been to much better. We also liked Two Friends and the crew at Schooner's.

OP make sure you take a lot of pictures and go to the marina area. Have a great time.

There is the Key West Winery that is worth stopping into. They make a Key Lime wine that is fantastic. Tastes like a Maragarita. Their "Catagory Five" Wine is pretty good too. It is easy to find and it was on the map they give you on the ship.

How far is the winery from the ship. I'm a certified "wineaux" and would LOVE to do that! Is it within walking distance or do we need a cab or something?

How far is the winery from the ship. I'm a certified "wineaux" and would LOVE to do that! Is it within walking distance or do we need a cab or something?

Take a look at the map I mentioned earlier:

Here's a cruise map of Key West, which has a few points of interest marked, and you can use the search box under the map to find most of the others mentioned here.

After a search of "Key West Winery", it looks to be only a few blocks from the main pier. (The marker that shows up looks like it is hiding under the label for the Pirate Soul Museum!)

Theron

You are definatly right about Fast Buck Freddies "KeyWesst" my friends and I must have spent 2 hours in there last october trying on all the hats and costumes , got some hysterical pics!! Fun time in there........lots to look at!! And nice and cool, nice break when it is so hot outside!

I live in SW Florida and today is like 57 degrees , which for us is COLD!!! BRRR for SW Florida in April!! :confused:

• 1 month later...
What time is the sunset celebration in December?

If I recall correctly, the sun sets about 5:30PM in December, maybe somewhat earlier (5:15PM-ish) closer to Dec 21. So the celebration at Mallory will be starting around 4:30 or 4:45PM. We visit Key West every December. It can get quite chilly there in December, but it can also be hot and muggy or absolutely beautiful, cool, breezy and dry. I love December in Key West.

What time is the sunset celebration in December?

According to http://www.sunrisesunset.com/ , the sun sets in Key West from between 5:37PM on December 1st, to 5:49PM on December 31st, 2008.

You can pick Key West from this page:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/Florida.asp

Not sure about the celebration, but I suppose it will be somewhat associated with the sunset times... :)

Theron

Are any of the catamaran excursions worth doing? There's one to see wild dolphins and then to a sunken ship for snorkeling, another to a wildlife refuge and snorkeling.

I've found most of the cats pretty crowded. We go on the Floridays (http://www.floridays.org/). It's a sailing ship but they limit their passengers to a dozen or less. The crew are very friendly and they dock at the Hyatt, just a short walk from Mallory Square. But be forewarned, they take only a small number of passengers so advanced reservations before you get to KW are required.

Randall

• 3 weeks later...

Archived