Taking food off the ship

Solo Cruiser

I have a hard time believing how many selfish people there are cruises. The me, me, me, attitudes amaze me.

I agree with the poster who said he hoped the people who take food off the ship when told not to would be arrested. I know people have diabetes and need to eat. They don't need to eat a sandwich!

I do believe that packaged foods, albeit not a sandwich etc from room-service, but a package of crackers, a granola bar etc. would be allowed. We are traveling with a woman who is a severe diabetic. She brings crackers that are sealed in small packages from home.

She also has some kind of mints or something that if her sugar level is too low, she can use one of those. There are ways around being selfish and not caring about the countries you visit.

Remember, you are a visitor to the country. Don't be the ugly American because you are too ----lazy, selfish, cheap-- you fill in the blank.

Sorry for venting, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Ask someone living in California what happened to their crops because someone(s) brought in a fly.

• 3 months later...

Nov I will be a 1st time cruiser so hoping i dont get flamed. No food off ship in other countries right. Well I'm doing the baja cruise to catalina and ensenada. Do the same rules apply for the port in Catalina- Can one take a sandwich or fruit off there-? Thanks

Nov I will be a 1st time cruiser so hoping i dont get flamed. No food off ship in other countries right. Well I'm doing the baja cruise to catalina and ensenada. Do the same rules apply for the port in Catalina- Can one take a sandwich or fruit off there-? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have eaten from street vendors in Tijuanna and other places in Central America and never gotten sick. Passing back into the US we had lunch near Death Valley and both of us got "The revenge" and it was from American food not Mexican as it happen with 20 minutes of lunch time.

I hear you---I'm very well traveled; have been all over the place since I was a kid. I have not however, been a diabetic all my life and after our first cruise I learned to take some food with me....I had a low and nothing around, not even an orange juice. I could have had a coma...luckily found a Coke and alleviated my low.

It's not that I don't CARE about other cultures. I respect and honor them. It's just that my health says I need to have food with me at all times; granola bar, sandwich, whatever...but I have to have something!

I have the same problem w/o the diabetes, I have a really small stomach due to surgery, but I must have safe food at all times or my blood sugar will go to low. I have to eat every 2 hours or so and who knows where the food came from or how it was stored. So I always bring snack crackers, granola bars, pop tarts everywhere even to baseball parks here in the us(hide em in my purse). I always carry water, don't forget their ice may not be filtered too, and remember to wash off the tops of cans b4 you drink from them.

• 3 weeks later...

My DH and I packed snack packs, energy bars, and prepackaged individual servings of nuts specifically for excursions on our cruise last year. We wanted to be prepared just in case, but we also wanted to respect the local laws. It really isn't that difficult to follow the law and still have food for yourself. I find it hard to believe, in this day and age, people cannot find SOMETHING acceptable to pack that would conform to the rules of the ship and the ports.

Archived