Westerdam - Lido buffet for dinner?

katier825

I heard that the buffet for breakfast and lunch is similar to other cruiselines, but that dinner is done differently. (I tried the search, but it was down.)

Can anyone please explain what the Lido dinner experience is like on the Westerdam?

Thanks! :)

We were on the Westerdam New Year's cruise 2008. There were a couple of days when we got back late from port and missed our dining time. We went to the Lido. The same food that was served in the dining room was served in the Lido. We went up to the buffet where an example of the meal was shown. We picked what we wanted and told a waiter who was standing there. He then had us choose our table and tell him the number of the table we chose. Shortly, our dinner arrived in courses at the table. It was quicker than eating in the dining room without as much wait in between courses (dining room took us about 1-1/2 hours while the Lido time to eat was 45 minutes to an hour). The tables had tablecloths and candles. However, we did not need to dress for dinner, arriving in shorts or jeans. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

I agree with Marie that the Lido is a good alternative to the dining room, when you want to dine casual, get in and out or just mix it up. Almost everything on the main menu is available, in the LIDO. In some ways, it's superior because you get a chance to see what you are odering, before you do and the food is always hot, hot, hot.

Since we will be sailing on the Volendam in Alaska, I'm hoping this is the way it's done...seems like a very good option.

Any feedback on the Volendam, or other 'dam' ships in Alaska?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. It just may be a good option for us with a one suitcase/US Air! Of course I do enjoy Formal nights and would miss the dining room experience, but if the Lido is a decent option; I may go the route of picking my battles! That is, for formal nights anyway; I d wouldn't want to forgo the dining room all together!

Wow, HAL's Lido dining is quite different from the other lines I've been on.

Another couple of questions: do you get the option to pick your side dishes with the entree you choose? what about portion size? can you ask for more of something you like?

Thanks!

Archived