MS.Balmoral (Cruise 003&004. 3rd - 24th March 2008)

cidsid

My Wife & I , both OAP’s, and Cruise enthusiasts, have last week returned from our first ever `Fred Olsen Cruise’ experience, aboard the newly converted and extended ship MS `Balmoral’ and feel that we should express our extreme dissatisfaction, unhappiness and total disappointment that this three weeks `Back- to Back’ Cruise to the Caribbean & Central America’s has been for both us, and so many other largely disgruntled passengers, such a unsatisfactory experience, which resulted in such very poor , uncomfortable and unhappy conditions, aboard this very overcrowded and poorly organised ship.

Many like ourselves, who have cruised with other reputable Cruise companies before; we have come to expect professional standards from leading operators like `Fred. Olsen Cruises' , who we had understood could offer a reasonable degree of good service and value for money Holiday Cruise?

I would confirm that the unfortunate experiences aboard the

M S`Balmoral’ has proved to be the worst Holiday Cruise experience that we have ever undertaken!

The first day of embarkation in the port of Miami Florida, was without doubt a truly horrific experience starting with over 2.½ hours of seemingly never ending queue’s whilst we were all herded like `Cattle to Slaughter‘, through the terrible `US Immigration & Customs’ Investigations and checks , treated like Alien Terrorists, instead of welcome visitors from England , who are supposedly the USA’s main supporters and long term friends, currently supporting this apparent ungrateful nation in both `Theatre’s of War ‘,in Iraq & Afghanistan.

Most certainly we both shall never attempt to visit the USA again EVER!

This latest experience has indeed left such a profound feeling of utter disgust, disappointment and bad feeling towards that country from us both.

Also upon the Ships return to the `Port of Miami’ at the mid- section of our Cruise, plus again for disembarkation at the End,( Where we were `Dumped Off' for SIX + HOURS! at the Bayside Shopping Area complex , before being transported to the Airport. This in itself was such a uninteresting and waste of time experiance.

Everyone aboard your ship had to yet again to undergo such terrible Immigration & Customs checking procedures onboard, which on the further two visits to Miami, resulted in utter chaos and fantastic long queue’s aboard the ship, which were totally without any form of crowd control or administration, by the Fred. Olsen, Senior Officers, Security Staff, or Crew, Which is unforgivable!

Furthermore life aboard your ship became almost intolerable due to the seemingly poor administration, organisation and total lack of directive and control, which appeared non- existent from the Senior Ships Officers and Staff.

Due largely to the drastic overcrowding of the extended Cabin Accommodation aboard ,it was almost impossible to obtain a Sun bed or Chair on any of the Upper Deck area’s during daytime hours , due to the complete lack of Deck Staff on duty in these area’s controlling the horrible `Germanic’ type actions of so many selfish people who persisted in placing their `Yellow Towels’ on Sun beds & Chairs , during the early mornings before Breakfast and thus reserving them for the whole day time periods, even when going ashore for arranged trips, or attending other entertainment venues aboard etc.

No dedicated Fred. Olsen Staff were on duty at any time ,so therefore were unable to administer or prevent the selfish and unacceptable actions of so many of these uncaring passengers.

Many elderly and disabled Passengers were prevented from enjoying any relaxing moments at any time on the Upper Decks, this was also the case whilst trying to attend many arranged Entertainment events onboard, as there was just NO WHERE to SIT! Large queue’s seemingly the norm. for everything aboard!

Additionally, on many occasions there where found to be extra Sun beds stored out of passengers reach around the Ships Funnel Area, but these were coated in very dirty SOOTY deposits from the chimney stack, and thus again no Deck Staff on duty at any time, to untie and clean these much needed items, or indeed to assist elderly and disabled people to get something to sit upon.

Early in the Cruise, I personally spoke to the `Captain’ and requested that he put in place urgent measures to improve and resolve this totally unacceptable situation, but the only action he took was to place a brief written request in the `Daily Onboard Newsletter‘, requesting that passengers refrain from placing their Towels on Sun beds, and refrain from reserving them for longer than `One Hour’! and to check them for Dirty Soot particles? All of which was TOTALLY NON- EFFECTIVE, and largely ignored by the offending passengers.

Surely a Cruise ships Captain’s main task and priority is to ensure that his Officers and Staff are fully instructed in the overall control and administration of the Ship and the most important issue for a Cruise Ship being the Comfort , Convenience Satisfaction and Safety of all of its Fair Paying Passengers?

However, we can only assume that on Fred. Olsen’s `Balmoral’, No one seemed to CARE or take any action or responsibility, to improve the awful situation that persisted throughout our cruise completely unchecked?

Another serious problem that presented itself to my Wife and I, after joining the ship and eventually being placed in the correct TWIN- Bedded Cabin that we had requested, was that the `Air Conditioning System’ in our eventual Cabin was faulty and stuck at the very cold level of 65°.F, though many attempts were made to fix the problem, all failed.

We were informed by Reception Desk Staff, that the system throughout the ship was defective and could not be rectified?

Also that no other spare Cabin’s were available, as the ship was fully occupied.

Oh Dear! we thought , is there anything that is OK on this Jinx ship?

Thus, we were made to suffer extreme cold conditions at night, that was like living in Industrial FREEZER, which in turn resulted in us both, after a couple of days being infected with very severe Head Colds and Coughs infections, which unfortunately we are still suffering from at time of writing and which certainly contributed to an even more miserable Cruise experience whilst accommodated on this

`CRUISE SHIP FROM HELL‘

Further cause for complaint, was the fact that the entertainment programme throughout the ship during the THREE WEEKS `Back to Back ‘Cruise, was that after the first 10 days period, the Programmes and Artists became very Repetitive and Boring, with nothing New to entertain the long suffering passengers, who had opted for the longer cruise periods, which does indeed seem yet again, to be the result of the very poor organisational abilities of the `Fred Olsen’ Organisation?

It also became apparent that the `On-Board Services’ charged to our accounts for such things as, Shore Tours-Bar/Drinks -Photography- Spa Services etc. were considered by most passengers to be quite expensive due to the £, Sterling being the Currency charged ,

This fact was indeed considered to be very unfavourable to both British and American clients, who usually benefit from the more favourable rate of the US. $ From most Cruise Companies who operate in this part of the World.

Many indicated that they would definitely NOT use the Fred. Olsen Company again, as their `On- Board Accounts’ were just excessive for the type of Services received!

Also during our three weeks `Back to Back’ Cruise we suffered the loss of THREE Ports of Call, ( i.e. Samana, (Dom. Repub.)

+ Playa de Carmen, (Mexico) and Key West. (Florida) due to Operational problems and the breakdown of the ships `Auxiliary Engine’ the latter followed by the long delay in repairs, resulted in the cancellation of visits to the last two ports of call, Also towards the end of our Holiday Cruise , there was a severe WATER SHORTAGE aboard that resulted in further problems with Bathroom & Shower useage generally!

It was also interesting to learn later that the cancellation of Ports of Call is still continuing with the ongoing next Cruise that followed our final departure date, when we understand that the planned visit to Antigua on the 29th Mach 2008 has also now been cancelled?

It seems that the unacceptable situation is to continue on this FLAGSHIP OF THE `FRED. OLSEN 'Fleet?, with the ongoing and future Cruise programme, to the detriment of all customers, which it totally unacceptable!

For the `Loss’ of a high proportion of our quite expensive Cruise Holiday with Fred. Olsen Ltd, we were given £ 40.00 per person, refund? which indeed is totally unacceptable and insulting , bearing in mind the Horrible, Trouble Dominated, Overcrowded, Uncomfortable, `Jinx Ship’ experience, that we and so many other unfortunate people have undergone over recent weeks ,

this largely due to thecompany altering and putting to sea a very unprepared Ship,Officers & Crew,that should certainly have been more thoroughly checked and re- checked, to a higher professional maritime standard and degreeof competency , prior to accepting customer hard earned Cash?

Iindeed maybe a full cancellation and refund policy should have been implemented? to all booked Cruise customers due to

this Companies complete failure to deliver in full, the Cruise that was advertised and booked with this organisation that formed the`Contract’ that was entered into by them,and they have completely FAILED to Honour and must therefore to be considered in default of that Legal Agreement.

Whilst I do understand and appreciate that on a maiden voyage there will be teething problems. My main concern is that how the increasing number of problems was not dealt with and not rectified.

This I found totally unacceptable.

It seems that the complete `Shipyard Refit and Extension' of the ship was without doubt VERY POORLY executed!

With major defects apparent thoughout the ship like Rusting Seals & Frames around most windows, poor standards of decoration in most Cabins, Bathrooms /Showers & Unsafe Elect. Points for use of Kettles etc located at floor level near Bathroon?All showing very poor standards of maintenance and cleanliness etc. Indeed the Exteriour Surface of the Outer Hull of the Ship was indeed so badly dented and damaged to such a extreem extent, that it appeared to have just returned from some WAR ZONE!

In conclusion, I do feel that my Wife & I, have had a much looked forward to holiday spoilt by many unforeseeable problems with the Fred. Olsen Cruise Holiday Experience.

I would hope that my written complaints to their Head Office in Ipswich, Suffolk, requesting a full investigation , will soon be looked into further and dealt with accordingly.

Sidney & Pauline Jones.

Oh dear ,bit of a disappoinment then ,lots of people do seem to have enjoyed the ship but your view is very negative.

You don,t mention general staff or the food ,the cabins etc.,

where you on a cheap deal or did you pay over the odds. Such a shame your holiday was spoilt ,FO never again then.:)

I was on the same cruise 11-24 Mar. It was my first cruise and had a very enjoyable time. Food very good, bar staff, cabin stewardesses and kitchen staff extremely friendly. Cleanliness of the ship very good. Entertainment was very good, but evening performances by Balmoral Show Co. werent long enough (just 45 mins). Expected more of a variety show for the evening shows. The Cruise Director wasnt doing a flowing job and I would hope he gets better. Ships doc was very helpful.

Immigration at Miami airport was a nightmare, and feel it is unfair to blame Fred Olsen for this. Also, delay in disembarking the ship but this was down to a handful of passengers who werent listening to the tannoys. (but as I said before, I've not cruised before, so maybe other companies do things differently).

Sun loungers were getting hogged by the Yellow Towel brigade, but I never had a problem finding a bed - admittedly next to the Funnel which was a bit noisy, but you soon got used to it. I saw the deckhand putting out all the sunbeds on all the days that I was there and a grand job they done too, and as for the soot .... well it really was miniscule amounts.

I didnt think alcohol was expensive, £2.80 for a glass of house white, £3.50 for piesporter, £2.80 for vodka and coke (if I remember correctly). £10 for litre of Smirnoff through Cabin Shopping on my TV, but the 6 cans of pepsi to go with it were about £3.50!!! (and they were those mini cans too - but easily rectified the next time in port!)

I would cruise again with FO :)

Guest Anorak33

Hmmmmmm....... I just disembarked Balmoral today in Miami after a very pleasant 11 days W Caribbean cruise, not my first, more than even my 21st!

We had a basic outside cabin on deck 3 which had not been refurbished but was very comfortable and clean, it had new carpet but that was about all that had been done.Our cabin stewardess Athens from the Phillipines was very pleasant and efficient.

The food was, as always on Fred Olsen, very good quality and as much as you wanted of it.

The service was, as usual, excellent. In the dining room we had table 69 in the main Ballindalloch restaurant on deck 6. Our waiter Somsit from Thailand and his Indonesian assistant were prompt, pleasant , accurate and unobtrusive.

The aircon worked OK in our cabin and in the ship as a whole, got a little stuffy in port on one very hot day but it cleared up as soon as we started moving again.

There seemed to be enough sunbeds to go round, deck 7 swimming pool area was more crowded than the one on deck 11. They do need to get some parasols though for the tables on deck, its too hot to sit in the sun long for me without shade.

The first day there were a few small smuts from the funnel, but it soon cleared and didn't happen again, maybe just the engines idling with the wind blowing in the wrong direction. Its a ship, it happens.

The public spaces on the ship are very generous compared with the newer ships now in service. 16 tables in the cardroom! Plenty of seats in the Neptune lounge and pub. A big library wellstocked with books.

We had a number of free cocktail parties during the cruise, and the booze flowed like water!

The drinks prices are cheaper than on say NCL, even though they are priced in sterling they still work out cheaper, and there is no extra 15% added either.

The Captain, officers and crew worked tirelessly to make sure everything was good for the passengers.

The laundry on deck 3 was excellent, 4 new Miele washing machines and tumble dryers, and free, even the detergent,at least at the moment.

Immigration at Miami is not Fred Olsen's doing, US immigration are well known for being slow and unfriendly. Don't blame Fred for it! Blame George!

The Cruise Director changed today to a more experienced one, Anthony Borrodaile so the entertainment may improve, however 45 minutes is about it on a cruise ship for a show, no matter what line you go on they are the same length.

Anyway we had a great cruise, it was good value and I really think the OP, who I am sure must have had some problems on an inaugural transatlantic, we all have in the past, must be very critical and just about impossible to please, indeed he seems to want a full refund. Ridiculous!

Guest SarahMichael

I am astounded! We had a fantastic time...... It was our first cruise but I did notice that there were many "long term cruisers" complaining about matters I deemed as trivial. There were many Fred Olsen Regulars constantly comparing the Balmoral with the Boudicca/Black Watch etc.

The immigration for us wasn't too bad as our flight was via Newark which wasn't so busy as Miami. Immigration in the USA is horrendous, not the fault of Fred Olsen, indeed the staff made it as painless as possible when we arrived at Key West on 13th April.

We had a fab BA cabin with no problems with A/C. The phones went off for most of the cruise but the captain gave regular updates & flew an engineer in from Germany to repair them! Can't complain about that! - who needs a phone anyway? BUT should anyone have needed it, the captain placed members of staff with walkie talkies in all corridors on 9th/10th & 11th floors..... can't complain about .....that I thought that was excellent customer service.

The entertainment was fabulous, the Balmoral Show Company - very professional..... but do you know what??.... there were people not applauding! they were comparing the company with that on the Black Prince last year etc ! Some people cruise 3 times a year - perhaps they are "cruised out"...... if they are unhappy with the service received on cruises then perhaps it's time to book something else.

They do say that your best customers are your regular customers.... but in my opinion, Fred Olsen needs to encourage a different market. there are millions of people out there with high disposable incomes who are deterred from cruising due to the current image. It's a great way to see the world, in excellent accomodation, good food etc.

Guest Anorak33

SarahMichael - you say that you think FO needs to encourage a different market - actually that is exactly what Fred is trying NOT to do.

For those who want it different there is Island Cruises in UK and NCL in UK and US.

No compulsory formal nights, no compulsory dressing up, younger age group, bigger shows, more drunkeness,lower quality food, more kids etc etc., generally livelier.

If that is what you want FO to become then maybe FO isn't right for you either. And we also go on NCL etc, its just different.

Fred tries to provide a high quality traditional cruise experience, and succeeds.

I think Fred gets it right, the only problem I have on FO cruises is some of the Brits who book it cheap as a clearance offer through a newspaper ad and don't understand what FO is all about.

They can be badly behaved moaning sunbed hogs who stiff the crew when it comes to tipping.

***** Balmoral a couple of days ago one elderly Brit couple told me they weren't going to tip their waiters or stewardess as they thought it should have been included in their fare.Their first FO cruise and they hadn't done their homework.

But the tip isn't included, or charged daily to your account,,and when in Rome you should do as the Romans do.

Not that there was anything wrong with the service though,but the poor crew members had still worked for nothing for them for 11 days. The tip is the major part of some crewmembers remuneration.

I do think people like that passenger are just cheapskates, it just about amounts to stealing from the crew.

I bet the OP cidsid didn't tip,and was just looking for an excuse not to, I have never read such a load of cobblers about any FO ship, especially when he says the ship looked like it had come back from a war zone!

Unfortunately a cheapskate Brit OAP. I hope he doesn't get his full refund from FO when he writes to head office. I am tempted to write to them myself refuting and disputing his wildy exaggerated and mostly unfounded claims and lies.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anorak33

Well this very negative OP has been truly outvoted, his ridiculous string of complaints has been shown up to be unfounded, by others, including myself and some others on the same cruise.

On the plus side we will never have to cruise on FO with this moaning whinger, on the minus side I am a Carnival stockholder and he is threatening to cruise on some of "my" ships.

Just stick to Regent matey, its great for $500 a day and no connection with me at all.

• 1 month later...

Further to my earlier reports regarding the three weeks cruise in March 2008 to Caribbean & Central America's which formed the early part of the 'Balmoral's' Inagural season.

I am pleased to advise that following intensive investigations by the 'Fred. Olsen Cruises' Chief Executive, Mr Mike Rodwell into both my own and very many other customers long lists of complaint following this unfortunate cruise experiance.

Fred.Olsen Cruises have accepted that as so many people had experianced such a high proportion of problems during this specific period, which the Company accepted had fallen well below their usual high standards.

We have last week finally, received a full apology and been awarded a 20% cash refund, off the total cost paid for this Cruise.

Which is considered most acceptable!

Naturally, I am pleased to inform that the 'Fred. Olsen Cruises' have delt with my complaints and accepted full responsibility for their short-commings in this particular instance.

It is indeed good to know that they are a fair minded, professional and responsive organisation, concerned about their customers complaints and concerns.

This unfortunately does not seem to be the case with so many other `Customer Service Organisations' and apparently many negative minded individuals? some of whom frequent this 'Cruise Forum' site!

which is most unfortunate as it does show a complete lack of understanding and tolerance towards other opinions,

plus a very biased impression towards genuine concerns and impressions that ultimately if reported can definately result in a much improved experiance for all future Cruise enthusiasts!

Looking towards the future and always prepared to give anyone a second chance, We would try this company again, but certainly would ensure that it was aboard one of their ships that had NOT been extended or enlarged, as it is apparent that this may indeed spoil the previous small ship experiance that so many people obviously enjoy and which the 'Fred. Olsen' company have built a good reputation upon.

Or indeed operating out of Miami USA, Which is just so poorly organised and stressful to most UK passenger's, Maybe this is also the same situation in other 'US' Ports and thus can only be attributed to the American authorities and the way they treat us, their so called FRIENDS?

Perhaps it is now time for us to reciprocate when their citizens enter OUR COUNTRY? I am sure they also would not be impressed!

Though I am sure that one very regular, Self Appointed and opinionated 'CRUISE EXPERT'? contributor to this site, will now disagree with everthing that I have stated! :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like nothing was going to please you no matter what the outcome. You seem to be the type that expects champagne at a beer price. I am completely offended that you even bring up the war and how we are supposed to bow down to you. Who cares if you never want to visit the US again. Who wants you to? US Customs and Immigration have nothing to do with the cruise line. I'm just glad I will never have to listen to such a complainer on any cruise I choose to go on.:confused:

Guest Anorak33
Sounds to me like nothing was going to please you no matter what the outcome. You seem to be the type that expects champagne at a beer price. I am completely offended that you even bring up the war and how we are supposed to bow down to you. Who cares if you never want to visit the US again. Who wants you to? US Customs and Immigration have nothing to do with the cruise line. I'm just glad I will never have to listen to such a complainer on any cruise I choose to go on.:confused:

Me too!

• 1 month later...
Me too!

OH Dear!

Seems like I have annoyed a couple US Citizens who have adopted a familiar trait?

ie.lack of understanding of other opinions and going on the attack before considering all the facts!

At least it is good to find that the `Fred. Olsen' organisation have indeed proved to be most understanding and fair in their investigation and settlement of their obvious failings in this instance.

So all credit to them! and I do hope that the many other customers who also experianced similar problems on this particular Cruise, have also gained a reasonable degree of satisfaction. icon14.gif :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

HI. I am new to this site. What fun.

We have been with FO twice, for 27 days and 35 days and met people with differing opinions both times. We loved it even through force 9 and getting holed. I loved the (sometime cheesy) entertainment and avoided things that irritated me as much as possible (mostly other people).

Air con is a tough one isn't it. We don't like it at all, but can't always avoid it. I slept with a wet flannel on my stomach on one cruise in the tropics.

If people put towels on sunbeds, remove them. Simple. As long as you are happy with the consequences.

I have only experienced US immigration in Atlanta airport prior to 9 11 and that was bad enough to put me off going another time. I really can't be bothered with all that glaring and being treated like a criminal. But then we do that too don't we? In Antwerp I was accused of being an illegal immigrant and I'm a brit. Enough said on that. The world has changed.

I think that if something goes wrong early on in a trip, it is very hard to get out of that mindset. Not everyone can do a Pollyanna and it isnt always appropriate. Sometimes I have to be cajoled into holiday mood, sometimes I have done it for other people. Sometimes they just need to be heard.

Sometimes amongst a stream of complaints is a nugget of truth that needs to be winkled out and sorted out. It seems FO have done that this time and made reparation. Good for them, and good for the chap who put his head over the parapet and complained and good for the stalwarts who make do and mend.

I am not really Pollyanna, I just enjoyed the book. I am really one of life's complainers by nature.

Have been following this thread with interest and thought I'd jump in

I was also on this cruise , traveling with my Hubby , Sister & Brother- in -law .

I wrote a review on our return ,there is also one written by Alan Freeman,an American guy we bumped into a couple of times waiting for excursions. I have re read both and even after a year's reflection stand by them as an honest account of our experience on this cruise .

My husband also complained to F.O. head office and recieved the same letter as SidCid with the offer of 20% a future cruise .

I will say that the experiance hasn't detered us and we have 2 cruises booked with F.O. for 2009 already. What it did do was comfirm that unless absolutely necessary we would not join a cruise through a U.S.A. gateway again, having pick up cruises in Seattle and New York with other cruise liines its just not worth the hassle! Mexico is nearly as bad, but at least the people are nicer to deal with. US imigration is beyond Freds control ,but to expect people send 8 hrs in the Bayside centre was a joke.

We would also try and avoid any ship that was at the begining of its inaugural season ,as reading more up todate reviews things appear to have improved considerably .

The soot was an issue particularly after the rainstorm in Honduras but the next morning the staff where out hosing it away .I tend to think that the soot problem may have been worse due to the problem the ship was having with its engines . As for the sunbeds I agree there was an issue with towels on un used sunbeds ,but thats where you have to be a bit stronger and remove them if the bed doesnt get used for an hour or so . I did also notice the Captains request in the daily times asking people not to .

My Sister & Hubby where meant to stay on for a further week but having had so many ports cancelled including Antiuga chose to fly home early .

It is acceptable when itinerarys are changed due to the weather or local issues ,but not so when it comes down to bad maintanance on one of a ships first cruises

We are booked on the Boudiccia leaving the 12th March.We picked this one as it leaves out of Barbados, which having done the Breamar a couple of years ago out of Bridgetown expect it to be a lot less stressful arrival.(bonded luggage ) .

For ref we had a Marque Suite , Sis had a Junior Balcony Suite if any one needs any info .

• 4 weeks later...
`US Immigration & Customs’ Investigations and checks , treated like Alien Terrorists, instead of welcome visitors from England , who are supposedly the USA’s main supporters and long term friends, currently supporting this apparent ungrateful nation in both `Theatre’s of War ‘,in Iraq & Afghanistan.

Most certainly we both shall never attempt to visit the USA again EVER!

This latest experience has indeed left such a profound feeling of utter disgust, disappointment and bad feeling towards that country from us both.

Well as a US citizen, I can tell you without any doubt that we are ABSOLUTELY greatful for the efforts of Great Britian for their roll in the fight against global terrorism, and I regularly voice that gratitude when given the opportunity to do so...

I would just politely ask (and I really do mean this in a friendly tone) that you not judge an entire country and it's poeple based on a bad customs experience... I've traveled quite extensively in my life and have had some truely aweful experiences with customs and, like you was angry, but when I started spending some time interacting with the people, I quickly learned that the customs authorities were not a representive sample.

So, unlike others who have posted above me, I would say that I'm sorry you had such an aweful experience, but I would very much like you to come back and spend some time getting to know the people here and I think you would be surprised at just how friendly we are... and also how appreciative we are of our allies!

Don

Archived