Check your airlines!

LOWTYD

What crash are you referring to? These wire bundles in the wheel well have not contributed to any accident or incident I'm aware of. Airlines are inundated with a barrage of Airworthiness Directives, many of which are subject to vague interpretation.

I have no time to look it up, but I thought this particular AD was the result of a crash off Nova Scotia, perhaps a Swiss air flight, which resulted in over a hundred deaths.

3500 flights cancelled for 2006 work just done, how stupid! But American states they will be 100% on Saturday night. But personally if you are flying MD80, get another flight............ no more headaches.

If you are not traveling for a few days, you should be okay. They will get caught up. People with confirmed reservations showing up on time will get their seats, if the plane is flying.

The airline can not give you more than a days notice (if that) on cancelled flights because they are trying to get the planes back in the air as fast as they can.

You should KNOW what you alternate options are in advance. Look them up now. Think about driving to a nearby city. Or flying to a different city and renting a car.

We are not flying until Sunday on American, but already have a non-refundable alternate flight booked for saturday night, just in case. I really doubt we will have a problem, but are ready just in case.

I have no time to look it up, but I thought this particular AD was the result of a crash off Nova Scotia, perhaps a Swiss air flight, which resulted in over a hundred deaths.

I do not mean to be rude, but your earlier comments are the type of information that leads to worry and hysteria. If you have time to make unfounded statements, you should back them up.

The fact is the FAA gave airlines 18 months, yes a year and a half to deal with this issue. If it was a life or death situation, it would have not gone on that long. Not defending AA, but come on.

I have no idea where you got that information, but MD80s are not over-the-water aircraft. I think you are remembering the issue of wiring through the gas tanks on the wings or something from over 10 years ago, which, believe me, was fixed as soon as it was discovered.

I do not mean to be rude, but your earlier comments are the type of information that leads to worry and hysteria. If you have time to make unfounded statements, you should back them up.

The fact is the FAA gave airlines 18 months, yes a year and a half to deal with this issue. If it was a life or death situation, it would have not gone on that long. Not defending AA, but come on.

Yeah, considering that AA thought they had fixed it, thought they had gone above and beyond what was needed to be done, and now have to undo what they did during those 18 months to the detriment of the flyers and to the company ("tens of millions of dollars," according to CEO Gerard Arpey).

Jana

Getting better each day. Based on some reports I have read, even with the cancellations, most people are getting where they needed within a reasonable amount of time. Seems that lots of people that do not have to fly are changing plans (mostly business types). Others have already moved to other carriers, etc. We are flying AA on Sunday for a cruise, and had a backup reservation for Saturday, but now we will be cancelling that backup and sticking with AA.

Too bad that the Gov't, which had provided 18 months for this fix to take place, decided that AA did not do it right and required it to be reworked - NOW. In case you had not read all the details, AA actually discovered this problem and was the originator of the service procedure. I am all for safety in the skies, but this got carried away by a government that "wants to protect us".

Sorry, but the Swiss Air crash off of Nova Scotia (an MD-11, by the way--a later version of the DC-10 and not remotely like the MD-80) was related to a wiring fault in the inflight entertainment system. It had nothing to do with what's happening at American now.

I think it would have been a good idea to look it up first!

Have to agree. I think the pilot whose comment I read on another website was speaking only generically about any incidents of faulty wiring being the cause of a plane crash. Independent research is always a good idea, time permitting.

Archived