Carry on Baggage with medical device (CPAP)

Hello:

I may be asking this in the wrong place but here it goes:

Has anyone out there travelled to Europe with a CPAP machine? (Mine is a dual voltage). How do the security people in Europe's airports treat the machine (It says in the manual that it can not go as checked in bagage)? In North America it is not treated as part of your carry on baggage. I am hoping to bring one carryon bag plus the machine on board. Would this be allowed? Does anyone have any experience?

Rod

I think your question is: Do European airlines allow a second carry-on piece if it is a medical device... correct?

Depends on the airlines. I've had no problem when traveling on Lufthansa, Vuerling, KLM and Air Berlin. Air France gave me a bit of trouble but it was sorted out (Ya, I know, KLM is owned by Air France, but they act differently).

With some of the low cost airlines, yu are likely to ahve more of a problem.

Paul

My husband ALWAYS take it on the plane in his carryon. In the US, he gets pulled over constantly because of the CPAP. In Europe, make sure you have the correct adaptors and see if your machine automatically switches in voltage. BAck in 1999, it was not a good idea to blow out the entire hotel's electricity because we forgot to switch it over to the correct current. His newer machine switches over automatically and we found that using regular converters was adequate - didn't need the special one that will convert and switch the voltage. The ship uses the regular US plugs. Have a great trip!:eek:

I always carry it on the plane with me (KLM) and also carry a small back-pack. In the US they open it, scan it, etc. In Europe, so far, they just look at it when it goes through the scanner and do not even make me open it. I would never check it in my luggage, because sometimes it may never arrive. I put a 12 foot extension cord in the CPAP case, and also a plug adapter for the hotels (I also have dual voltage machine). I put my prescription medicines in the CPAP case, just in case at the last minute they tell me I have to check the backpack, but so far, no problems.

It's been a hit or miss with me whether it's domestic or international. In the last few flights i've noticed that they haven't wanted to open the bag to look at it. Previously, it was always opened and checked.

I've done Alitalia and Continental and neither have given me a problem going to/from Italy and Ireland. I always take it carry-on. I'm with teacherman - it may never arrive if i check it. good luck.

-dave.

I've heard that at London's Heathrow they will allow you only 1 carryon (counting a purse) to go thru the security screening. Does anyone know if the CPAP would be counted as the 1 carryon?

British Airway at Heathrow has increased the carry on to two pieces as of

last month. Thats if they have the luggage thing straightened out yet.

We missed the fiasco at Terminal 5 by one day. The travel fairy must have been visiting us then. :)

Gatwick airport the North Terminal is not enforcing the limit whereas the South Terminal (when we were there on Mar 27/08) was definately enforcing the one carry on - had to fit my purse into the small carry on to get it through. DH has a CPAP and after the check in asked three people we were told it was ok as it was medical device. The check in lady did say the South terminal was the only one with the limitation still in effect, but that could be changing - They do weigh the carry on as well as check the size at two different spots - you have to fit your carry on into the metal form that they provide. Even though he had approval to bring the CPAP he was continually asked about it - but not in a bad way. We did the whirl wind tour of Europe after our Transatlantic cruise ended in Barcelona (8 countries) through flights and it was the only airport that had this regulation. Next to Heathrow was the FCO in Rome - they have security at the check in desk and are very strict about the weight of the carry on - they had lowered it to 5 kgs. from 10kg (Egypt Air) because the flight was full - we got it down to 8kgs and were allowed through. Everyone was digging things out and stuffing them in their checked luggage - made things a little slow. But at least they didn't count my purse as a carry on (although it was almost the size of one) ;)

Gatwick airport the North Terminal is not enforcing the limit whereas the South Terminal (when we were there on Mar 27/08) was definately enforcing the one carry on
Gatwick Airport has completely lifted the one-bag rule now, as of 31 March 2008. The main restrictions remain the liquids rule and the maximum size of each bag.

Archived