Carnival vs NCL - to young for programs

katondeck

I am trying to decide which line to take our next cruise on. Our little one will only be 11 months at the time of our cruise. I am looking at NCL Sun and Carnival Glory or Valor. I know I only pay port fees on NCL for her, but if there is a reason to pay for her on Carnival I am more than happy to do that. Are there any amenities provided by Carnival for her that NCL does not provide? Am I more likely to be able to take (and stay with her) in the children’s area on either line? We have cruised Carnival twice and have been happy but the freestyle dining option with an 11 month old definitely holds some appeal.

Thank you!

I dont know the age for the kids on NCL but your child will need to be 2 years old to participate in the camps on Carnival. (3 on Royal and potty trained)

For the money-port and taxes only compared to full 3rd pass price on Carnival I would be sailing NCL.

Even if your daughter were old enough to participate in the kids programs, they wouldn't let you in to stay with her. Parents are only allowed to drop their kids off, they can't stay there. Space is an issue here, especially if every parent decided to go in and stay with their kids for a while. Our kids have been in a number of cruise lines kids programs and none of them have ever allowed parents to stick around. Carnival only offers babysitting in a group style setting after ten p.m. I don't think it would be appropriate for an 11 month old. I'm not sure about NCL's babysitting policy, so you might ask about it in the NCL section of the boards. I know RCI offers individual babysitting in your cabin at a pretty good rate. We never used it but thought about it. At this point it looks like NCL would be your best bet.:)

I believe RCCI lets you check out toys for infants, but you cannot go there and play with the baby. The only lines that will take an infant in a program is Disney and Cunard. I don't think any line will allow you to take someone so young into the kids rooms, even if you stay with the child. NCL would probably be your best option, but they do not have in room babysitting in the evening. Only RCCI and Celebrity still have the in room sitting option. All the other lines have stopped doing that because of liability/insurance concerns.

Celebrity lets you check out a "treasure box" filled with toys for kids under 3. In addition, they have organized "toddler times" on sea days where you and your child can go play with other children under 3. A parent is required to be there, and they provide the room and more age appropriate toys. My then 15 months old really enjoyed the toys. I was also told that they provide in-room baby sitting, I believe it was $8/hr. We, a year later, went on RCCI, and they did not have toys for toddlers.

Celebrity lets you check out a "treasure box" filled with toys for kids under 3. In addition, they have organized "toddler times" on sea days where you and your child can go play with other children under 3. A parent is required to be there, and they provide the room and more age appropriate toys. My then 15 months old really enjoyed the toys. I was also told that they provide in-room baby sitting, I believe it was $8/hr. We, a year later, went on RCCI, and they did not have toys for toddlers.

i will be travelling w my 17 month old next summer aboard the grand princess - would you happen to know if they also have toys we can borrow for the duration of the cruise? we will b on a 12 day med itinerary in july... ;)

Archived