Canada Place - store within walking distance?

I'd like to buy some pop to bring on board. Is there something within walking distance of the port?

Is there a place to buy wine?

Thanks for any help with this.

I would hit Robson street and go to London Drugs for the pop, there is alos a remarkable :) wine shop about half a block down next door to Pacific Palisades hotel. LOVE this shop, small but with a great selection of lowish end but very good wines between 15-30 dollars :)

I bought two bottles of Manderly Bay Zin 2005 for 18.99 and wish I had bought a case of it. You going to spend at least $25-30 on ship for a bottle that would cost you 1/3 (Cand) that in the stores.

Not a walk but a quick 8 min taxi. There are no stores that I know of close by CP,

Hope this helps :)

I am an Events Coordinator and sometimes put shows on at CP and on breaks will stand outside and see the cruise ships. One day I will get on a ship there :) First two cruises for me have had us embarking at San Pedro California.

We arrive at CP May 17 on the Sapphire Princess.

Be careful on parts of Pender or Hastings especially at night......We were walking on Pender once and walked by a junkie who was vomiting on the street. I felt bad for her.

There is a shopping mall under the Water Front Centre across the street from CP and there maybe a convenience store in there for sodas and water. Otherwise there is a Shoppers Drug Mart in Royal Centre at Burrard and Melville St about 4 blocks from the CP terminal or another London Drugs at Georgia and Granville Sts or a 7-11 on Seymour and Dunsmuir both of which are about 5 blocks from the terminal. There is a BC Government Liquor Store in Harbour Centre, 3 blocks east of CP, which carries spirits, wine and beer and while it may not have all of the same wines as a private wine store, the price point is usually sharper. Be prepared for sticker shock when you go to buy alcohol in BC, we are taxed to death on it.

There is a shopping mall under the Water Front Centre across the street from CP and there maybe a convenience store in there for sodas and water. Otherwise there is a Shoppers Drug Mart in Royal Centre at Burrard and Melville St about 4 blocks from the CP terminal or another London Drugs at Georgia and Granville Sts or a 7-11 on Seymour and Dunsmuir both of which are about 5 blocks from the terminal. There is a BC Government Liquor Store in Harbour Centre, 3 blocks east of CP, which carries spirits, wine and beer and while it may not have all of the same wines as a private wine store, the price point is usually sharper. Be prepared for sticker shock when you go to buy alcohol in BC, we are taxed to death on it.

LOL We had friends from the States vist and we had to dash into a BC liquor store.......Shellshocked at the prices they took PICTURES of the liquor and wine prices to prove to their disbelieving friends at home how much we pay!!!

Is there still that speciality BC liquor store on Alberni Street?? I think it is about two blocks off of Burrard?? I get lost on a paper bag so didn't want to recommend it but for BC liquor stores it is a good one :)

LOL We had friends from the States vist and we had to dash into a BC liquor store.......Shellshocked at the prices they took PICTURES of the liquor and wine prices to prove to their disbelieving friends at home how much we pay!!!

Is there still that speciality BC liquor store on Alberni Street?? I think it is about two blocks off of Burrard?? I get lost on a paper bag so didn't want to recommend it but for BC liquor stores it is a good one :)

Yes, I believe the specialty store is still there.

As a not quite a half time resident of AZ, everytime I go into the "Government Dairy" and buy a 1.14 of Vodka and of Rye I always remind them that I can buy a case of 6 X 1.75 ltrs for the same price at Safeway on sale in AZ.....and they cry along with me.

Yes the specialty store is still on Alberni and it is also one of the few government stores that is opened on Sundays.

The other factor making the price look that much more expensive is that you no longer have an advantage with the US $$$.

Cheers

Dennis

We are hoping to buy Scotch and Bacardi while in Vancouver to take on board as we thought it would be cheaper than buying a bottle on board to have a pre-dinner drink and night cap on our balcony, Can you give some idea of purchase price in Vancouver?

We are hoping to buy Scotch and Bacardi while in Vancouver to take on board as we thought it would be cheaper than buying a bottle on board to have a pre-dinner drink and night cap on our balcony, Can you give some idea of purchase price in Vancouver?

Here's the site for the BC Liquor store where you can do a product search.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en

A 1.14L of Bacardi will cost you ~$34 + tax, while a 1.14 L of Glenfiddich special reserve will cost you ~$59.

Scotch:

Ballantynes & Bells $37.95

Queen Anne, Famous Grouse, Grant's $42.45

Single malts would start about $50 and go from there

Barcardi $33.99

These prices are for 1.14 ltr bottles and include all taxes but not a recycling fees of about 40 cents a bottle.

If you had a specific brand of Scotch, let me know and I will check for you.

I'd like to buy some pop to bring on board. Is there something within walking distance of the port?

Is there a place to buy wine?

Thanks for any help with this.

As for close shops, to pick up some pop or whatever, there are a few options.

Pharmasave: Granville @ W.Pender

Shoppers Drug Mart: Granville @ Dunsmuir

7-11: Seymour @ Dunsmuir

Urban Fare (upscale supermarket): Bute @ W.Cordova

BC Govt Liquor Store: Harbour Centre, W Cordova Street, between Seymour & Richards

Private Liquor Store: in Granville Skytrain station plaza, off Dunsmuir St access

There's a downtown CostCo is located right next to the "Stadium" Skytrain station (3 stops from Waterfront/Canada Place station). A $2.50 transit ticket is good for 90 minutes so you can head out and back easily in 90 minutes and really stock up.

For your last gasp of coffee before facing cruise ship coffee;

Mario's: Howe @ Dunsmuir

Cafe Artegiano: W Hastings @ Howe, & Granville @ Dunsmuir

Starbucks (everywhere), but the two above are far superior

"Where can I get a GOOD cup of coffee" is the the number one question I've been asked by cruise passengers on the street, (I work 3 blocks from Canada Place)

• 2 months later...

If I wanted to buy just beer at 7-11, is it very expensive? Does anyone know if you can buy the beer in the red/silver/blue aluminum bottles at the store, like they have on the ship? I believe that brand is budweiser but I don't care as long as it's one of the name brand beers.

Beer is not sold in grocery/convenience stores in Vancouver - you must buy it at either a government or private liquor stores - there are many in the downtown core - if we know your location we can provide some options. Limited American brands are available here in Canada - Budweiser is readily available but I haven't seen the specialty tins that you talk about in the stores. Beer is expensive in Canada - a 6 pack will be about $9.00.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

There are two liquor stores in fairly close proximity to Canada Place, the closest being in Harbour Centre about 3 block east on Cordova St. and the other is at Thurlow and Alberni about 5 blocs south and west. Bud is readily available as is MGD they are produced under licence by Canadian brewers and you will find the taste a little different to what you are used to. I know the 16oz aluminum red and blue cans you are referring too and like Ut has said I have never seen them in BC Liquor Stores. However you only have to make it to Ketchikan and you are back in the land of real Buds and cheap beer again.;)

There are two liquor stores in fairly close proximity to Canada Place, the closest being in Harbour Centre about 3 block east on Cordova St. and the other is at Thurlow and Alberni about 5 blocs south and west. Bud is readily available as is MGD they are produced under licence by Canadian brewers and you will find the taste a little different to what you are used to. I know the 16oz aluminum red and blue cans you are referring too and like Ut has said I have never seen them in BC Liquor Stores. However you only have to make it to Ketchikan and you are back in the land of real Buds and cheap beer again.;)

Thanks everyone! Putterdude, you mention that the taste will be a little different than what we are used to...can you expand on that a little? LOL I am sure I will still like it, but that raised my curiosity.

Well, short of flying up with it...could I even do that flying in from the States? The convenience factor is just to stop nearby Canada Place the morning of the cruise and buy some. Will these places you list be open around 9:30ish in the morning?

Will have to check out Ketchikan for the Buds ...I believe all we will do that day is totem pole browse, lumberjack show, and some shopping.

This info just rocks. Thanks for any and all info!

Try this link - it will give you the details on the downtown Vancouver liquor stores and there hours of operation.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/storelocations?region=Lower+Mainland&location=Vancouver+-+Downtown

As Bud isn't my favorite American beer - it's a toss up between Pabst Blue Ribbon and Coors Light - I can't help with the taste factor but they will be using Canadian water so that might explain it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Will have to check out Ketchikan for the Buds ...I believe all we will do that day is totem pole browse, lumberjack show, and some shopping.

I am a little slow at the switch here, you don't go to Alaska to drink Buds, you got to get into those Alaska Ambers.

It is hard to define what the difference is between CDN Buds and US Buds but in a blindfold test I think I could tell the difference. I confess I am of an age and weight that while in AZ I know drink Miller Lite and Ultra. Up here I don't drink a lot of beer (just a lot of Stoli) but kind of like Kokanee which is brewed here is BC and you may care to pick up a 6 pack of it until you get to those Alaska Ambers.

Try this link - it will give you the details on the downtown Vancouver liquor stores and there hours of operation.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/en/storelocations?region=Lower+Mainland&location=Vancouver+-+Downtown

As Bud isn't my favorite American beer - it's a toss up between Pabst Blue Ribbon and Coors Light - I can't help with the taste factor but they will be using Canadian water so that might explain it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for that! It all helps very much! I can't wait to see Vancouver pre-and post-cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

For soft drinks and water, there's a Shoppers Drug Mart in the 500 block of Granville, the cross street is Dunsmuir I believe. There's also a Pharmasave on the corner of Granville & W. Pender and a pretty good dollar store on Seymour that is much better than the one on Granville.

Archived