Carnival Victory out of San Juan - Flying from Orlando

Ellanora

I've booked the Carnival Victory out of San Juan for Sept 2009 (a loooong time from now :rolleyes: ) and have a question.

Under normal circumstances, I think it is good advice to fly in to a port the day before a cruise. However, with the ship not departing until 10:00 PM, and since our flight will likely be nonstop from Orlando, departing around 11:00 AM, I feel like we have a good window. But, I was wondering if anyone has had a bad experience under similar circumstances, or if this is a pretty standard plan for most.

Thanks for any advice. :)

I've booked the Carnival Victory out of San Juan for Sept 2009 (a loooong time from now :rolleyes: ) and have a question.

Under normal circumstances, I think it is good advice to fly in to a port the day before a cruise. However, with the ship not departing until 10:00 PM, and since our flight will likely be nonstop from Orlando, departing around 11:00 AM, I feel like we have a good window. But, I was wondering if anyone has had a bad experience under similar circumstances, or if this is a pretty standard plan for most.

Thanks for any advice. :)

I just like to arrive a few days early, but you shouldnt have any problems as long as the plane doesnt encounter any issues. What time would the flight arrive??

My standard plan is to fly in a day early for all cruises no matter where they go out of. I always think about worst case scenarios. You never know when your airline is going to suddenly cancel 900 flights the day of your cruise departure. Having that extra day makes me feel better. In addition, it gives you some more time to enjoy San Juan and a night out in San Juan.

I agree that is always better to fly in the day before. If you were going Dec-March, I'd say it's extremely risky because of the weather.

In September, there are hurricanes but it's still less risky. The question is: how upset are you going to be if you miss the departure and have to join the ship at the first port of call? Is this your "trip of a lifetime"? Or is it one of 3 cruises you are taking in 2009? (some people do cruise that often).

If you can live with that scenario, then fly in that day (I'm assuming that you will buy the insurance offered at booking time).

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, I've been to San Juan before, and will probably go there again, so seeing San Juan this time isn't a factor. Also, the cruise is extremely port intense - a new port every day, no sea days, so we will be doing a lot of excursions. I'd prefer not to spend extra money on or in San Juan if I can help it.

We may still fly in the day before for safety's sake, it just seemed like it might be a waste with such a late evening departure.

Yes, I've been to San Juan before, and will probably go there again, so seeing San Juan this time isn't a factor. Also, the cruise is extremely port intense - a new port every day, no sea days, so we will be doing a lot of excursions. I'd prefer not to spend extra money on or in San Juan if I can help it.

We may still fly in the day before for safety's sake, it just seemed like it might be a waste with such a late evening departure.

It's a personal choice, most cruisers that fly into SJ, arrive the day of the cruise without incident. Either way Im sure it will workout.

• 2 weeks later...

We're taking that cruise as well and will land in from Toronto at 11:15 a.m. But we're still going the day before.

One of the reasons we're doing this is because the cruise IS so port intensive, we want to have a day to not have time restrictions. We were in San Juan once and did a Puerto Rico cooking excursion so didn't really get to see anything that we wanted.

This time we'll arrive, check in, spend the afternoon on the beach and then I think we're doing the bio-bay tour without having to worry about what time it finishes and gets us back. The next morning we're planning on a leisurely sleep in, breakfast, a few hours lounging on the beach again or at the pool, grabbing up some "necessities" at the local Walgreens and/or liquor store and then we'll be on the ship in plenty of time for dinner. We'll still have time to get to know the ship that night before sail off. Sail off at 10 pm will find us somewhere at the aft of the ship watching San Juan fade into the night. Can't wait!

We'd be arriving at 11:30 AM in San Juan. We could arrive at 2:45 PM, but I think we would want to get in as early as possible.

September its a peak month of storm season specially in our area, you never know!

One of the reasons we're doing this is because the cruise IS so port intensive, we want to have a day to not have time restrictions. We were in San Juan once and did a Puerto Rico cooking excursion so didn't really get to see anything that we wanted.

Yeah, I was considering this as well, all though we walked around and visited the fort when we were there before. It would probably be a more relaxing start to fly in the day before rather than day of. I suppose this is probably what we will do, just seems like I could put such a late sailaway to good use. :p

Archived