Anyone do the Waverunner tour with grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com?

DCCruiser7

I just returned from RCL Enchantment of the seas which stopped in Grand Cayman. I had scheduled (and put deposit on) a 9 am waverunner excursion with my kids through (http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaverunner.htm). This website had gotten good reviews before.

I had emailed them prior to leaving expressing my concern at getting to their meeting point (not at the port, but 8-10 minute walk). I had problems with RCL last year tendering early if you didn't book an excursion through them. He assured me it should be no problem, there was a time difference etc. However, in the email and confirm, there is NO information (location, phone # etc..) to deal with missing their transportation service. No one near the meeting point knows anything. Well, my concerns were realized and we did miss the meeting time/point. I would have been happy to take my own cab, but again, that information was not provided.

They will not refund my deposit (not a big amount) but I think it is ridiculous there is not clear info given (even in my follow up after-the-fact) what to do if you miss them or where to go.

Just be sure you understand what you are getting into or be sure to get committment/clear info with this excursion. It sounded like a great excursion and probably would have been fun.

I can't find any information about this company here. I'm getting a little nervous, as this is our "BIG" excursion - the one the boys are looking most forward to. It's this one:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaveRunner.htm

If anyone has experience with this company and this tour, please post and let me know your impressions!

Thanks in advance

I just returned from RCL Enchantment of the seas which stopped in Grand Cayman. I had scheduled (and put deposit on) a 9 am waverunner excursion with my kids through (http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaverunner.htm). This website had gotten good reviews before.

I had emailed them prior to leaving expressing my concern at getting to their meeting point (not at the port, but 8-10 minute walk). I had problems with RCL last year tendering early if you didn't book an excursion through them. He assured me it should be no problem, there was a time difference etc. However, in the email and confirm, there is NO information (location, phone # etc..) to deal with missing their transportation service. No one near the meeting point knows anything. Well, my concerns were realized and we did miss the meeting time/point. I would have been happy to take my own cab, but again, that information was not provided.

They will not refund my deposit (not a big amount) but I think it is ridiculous there is not clear info given (even in my follow up after-the-fact) what to do if you miss them or where to go.

Just be sure you understand what you are getting into or be sure to get committment/clear info with this excursion. It sounded like a great excursion and probably would have been fun.

UGH - I just booked this for 7 of us and paid a decent-sized deposit. Yep, no information about missing their transport. We have arranged to have them pick us up also. I guess I'd better try and garner a bit more info - thank you for sharing that.

We did this excursion last week with this company and I was NOT pleased with it at all, compared to past excursions I have done with other companies is Grand Cayman.

When we got to the resort, we found out the company only had one waverunner reserved for three of of (even though we reserved and paid a deposit for 2). Then a couple showed up without a reservation and gave the extra waverunner to them. That part turned out okay because a friend let us share hers.

The early excrusion came back 30 minutes late, then we didn't get going for another 15 minutes (remember this is a 2 hour excusion including stops at stingray city and rum point) so they decided they were going to cram everything into 1 1/2 hours because there were people having to be back to their cruise ships at a certain time. I have never ridden a waverunner and have weak legs. The guys did not help me at all get on waverunner. We finally got going and the leaders took off ahead of us at around 70 mph and the sea was rough. People kept hitting bumps and falling off. We only felt comfortable going around 50 mph and those people falling off was our opportunity to catch up. The leaders kept coming back to us and yelling at us that if we couldn't keep up, we would have to go back by ourselves. Right! Like we could have found out way back safely and on our own. They were consistantly rude.

We spend less than 15 minutes at stingray city, then went on to rum point, where we allowed another 15 minutes. Then we started back. I again had trouble getting on my waverunner and the guy FINALLY held it still for me. On the way back, we were totally left behind and couldn't even tell where we were going. My daughter fell off the back and it took us about 15 minutes to get here back on. No one with the excursion bothered to come back and check on us. Had she been hurt, we would have had a real problem and been very alone.

When we got back, I feel in the rocks on the shallow part of the beach. Everyone just stated at me for awhile and finally when the bus was ready to go back, the leaders asked what was wrong. I told them I couldn't get up and they finally came to help me.

I would do waverunners again because they are fun. I will NOT ever do them with this company again. It was a mess and very unsafe.

See my previous review on the other thread about this company and their waverunners.

The messed up my reservation and we didn't find out until we got there. And over-all, the whole excursion was very unsafe and unsupervised, especially for children.

See my previous review on the other thread about this company and their waverunners.

The messed up my reservation and we didn't find out until we got there. And over-all, the whole excursion was very unsafe and unsupervised, especially for children.

: (

My kids are 19, 18, 17, 14 and 10. I'm thinking they're probably old enough to deal with whatever happens, except maybe for the 10 year old, but he will be on a waverunner with me. Do you have any other tips or suggestions for us? I appreciate your info!

We did this excursion last week with this company and I was NOT pleased with it at all, compared to past excursions I have done with other companies is Grand Cayman.

When we got to the resort, we found out the company only had one waverunner reserved for three of of (even though we reserved and paid a deposit for 2). Then a couple showed up without a reservation and gave the extra waverunner to them. That part turned out okay because a friend let us share hers.

The early excrusion came back 30 minutes late, then we didn't get going for another 15 minutes (remember this is a 2 hour excusion including stops at stingray city and rum point) so they decided they were going to cram everything into 1 1/2 hours because there were people having to be back to their cruise ships at a certain time. I have never ridden a waverunner and have weak legs. The guys did not help me at all get on waverunner. We finally got going and the leaders took off ahead of us at around 70 mph and the sea was rough. People kept hitting bumps and falling off. We only felt comfortable going around 50 mph and those people falling off was our opportunity to catch up. The leaders kept coming back to us and yelling at us that if we couldn't keep up, we would have to go back by ourselves. Right! Like we could have found out way back safely and on our own. They were consistantly rude.

We spend less than 15 minutes at stingray city, then went on to rum point, where we allowed another 15 minutes. Then we started back. I again had trouble getting on my waverunner and the guy FINALLY held it still for me. On the way back, we were totally left behind and couldn't even tell where we were going. My daughter fell off the back and it took us about 15 minutes to get here back on. No one with the excursion bothered to come back and check on us. Had she been hurt, we would have had a real problem and been very alone.

When we got back, I feel in the rocks on the shallow part of the beach. Everyone just stated at me for awhile and finally when the bus was ready to go back, the leaders asked what was wrong. I told them I couldn't get up and they finally came to help me.

I would do waverunners again because they are fun. I will NOT ever do them with this company again. It was a mess and very unsafe.

HOLY CRAP! That sounds wretched! Well, this is a bummer because I read on their terms & conditions that deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE even this far in advance (July). So either we bite the bullet, plan to go and hope for the best, or we cancel the excursion and eat the $90 we've paid for deposit. Would you have cancelled and just lost the $ knowing what you know now?

Tough question. Another lady on our tour was going to try and get some ogf her money back but I don't know if she had any luck. Maybe other people have had good experiences with them. Knowing what I know now, I would have probably made a couple of phone calls to this company to absolutely confirm that they had my reservation correct and that I was going to get what I paid from fromt he tour. I don't know if they always are that fast on those waverunners and negligent, or if they were just having to cut our time so short to get back on time. There is another company that runs waverunners at Grand Cayman but I don't know the name of it.

I can tell you I won't do business with this company again and would not encourage others to but you've already put money down, so it's a toss-up. I sent them an e-mail today and let the office know about my experience and sent them my confirmation showing our correct reservation (which THEY had wrong). Maybe they will straighten up. But if you do go, I would stay on top of them.

I just posted on the other waverunner question. STAY ON TOP OF THEM BY PHONE. I am seeing that I am not the only person who has had problems with them. Don't count on them running on time and consider what time you have to be back at the ship. If someone is not comfortable going 70 mph, be very firm with them and don't back down. And make sure they have gased up your waverunner. Good luck.

Tough question. Another lady on our tour was going to try and get some ogf her money back but I don't know if she had any luck. Maybe other people have had good experiences with them. Knowing what I know now, I would have probably made a couple of phone calls to this company to absolutely confirm that they had my reservation correct and that I was going to get what I paid from fromt he tour. I don't know if they always are that fast on those waverunners and negligent, or if they were just having to cut our time so short to get back on time. There is another company that runs waverunners at Grand Cayman but I don't know the name of it.

I can tell you I won't do business with this company again and would not encourage others to but you've already put money down, so it's a toss-up. I sent them an e-mail today and let the office know about my experience and sent them my confirmation showing our correct reservation (which THEY had wrong). Maybe they will straighten up. But if you do go, I would stay on top of them.

Thanks for your information. I think we're going to suck it up and go. I pray things work out better than they did for you, sorry about that. :(

I did email them this evening with a question about transportation (pre-arranged). I explained that we would like to stay at the resort for a couple of hours after our excursion and wondered if we could still use their pre-arranged transport. After a very short time I got an email back from someone named Mark, who said it would be no problem at all to stay as long as we wanted at the resort. He assured me the transportation would be available whenever we were ready to go back to the ship. I felt a little better knowing that they are at least conscientious enough to email me back immediately.

WOW, I booked this excursion for 8 people back in Dec 06. We had a great time. I fell off at one point and the guys turned around and got off there waverunner and helped me on. They did go a little fast going out to the stingrays and the seas were rough, I would recommend goggles or a snorkel mask. I am not sure if they have different people running it now as I think they were pretty new at the time. After we went we came on the boards and recommended them. Alot of people came back with similar reviews. So hope for the best, and don't let them go to fast. Take your time and enjoy your tour.

I think the reason we went so fast was because they were trying to cram a 2 hour excusion into just over an hour since we got started so late. But that doesn't excuse their rudeness and leaving us behind by ourselves.

I did e-mail the people and let them know everything that happened. I did not request any kind of compensation. They did not bother to answer that e-mail. As far as I know, Eubanks has a good reputation. If we go again, I will book with them.

I can't find any information about this company here. I'm getting a little nervous, as this is our "BIG" excursion - the one the boys are looking most forward to. It's this one:

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaveRunner.htm

If anyone has experience with this company and this tour, please post and let me know your impressions!

Thanks in advance

Ok. I have recent experience: We used them April 3rd. In fact, I'm the "other lady" that Lindslea/Debbie wrote about in her group. I guess I'm late getting back on the boards. I wrote the one review of my disappointment, and then later wrote a review recommending it to some guy with a 12 yr old son. I did not even bother to email the company based on the way they write their documentation. Just be sure to read the tips I provide!! They could make all the difference.

Hey Debbie! I've now written 2 reviews. One like you & for the reasons you mentioned, I was very disappointed. But for other people in better shape and with the tips I provide it could help them have more fun. Especially if they have already booked and can't get out of it!

I am so sorry that you needed help getting out of the water. I was very frustrated myself at that point because I had wanted to spend more time at each place & now knew it was time to get on the shuttle to go back. Plus I was meeting up again with my mom who spent the whole time on the beach since she couldn't even get on the wave runner! She took a nap in the shade! A very expensive nap! So then I was mad that I didn't have more time just to stay there on the beach but I was NOT going to have to beg for a taxi again, you know?

This was my first review which was negative:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=14380790&postcount=12

And then I read about a man and his 12 yr old son who wanted to ride Wave Runners while wife and 6 yr old stayed behind & I thought...

hmmmm.... based on what he wants, maybe it'll work for them.

I guess I forget how rude the guys were and that should keep me from EVER recommending them again.

Here is my review thread when I reconsidered for them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=14381249&postcount=3

I just would ONLY recommend this to people who MAINLY want to RIDE WAVE RUNNERS FAST!!!! And NOT want to do much sightseeing. Who will need NO assistance getting on or off. Experienced Riders ONLY!!!

I wish I had had more time to stay at resort & so I recommend people go ASAP or do the early tour and plan to stay for a while. The resort has no place to keep your belongings while you ride, but you can put your backpack in the hut where the Wave Runner guys are located. You can only put your stuff in their hut during the 2 hours you are riding (no one can get to it while you are gone.) Or if possible, it would be best to leave it with a family member who is not riding. Since I didn't know the hut option would be available, I left my digital camera on the ship & the 27 exposure water disposable camera I took didnt seem to last very long. I wish I had brought my camera for the beach area and the cool sites in GC.

I'm sorry to be confusing with a bad review & then a recommendation, but I think you'll understand once you read both and book this as I said in the first post: Buyer Beware!!!

Buyer Beware!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for your information. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with these guys - they sound like arses.

By some luck, I did book the 9 am tour, I do have the 2-page confirmation already printed and ready to go, I've already arranged to take their $5 pp transportation, and my crew (the kids, really) will probably be most interested in the waverunners. We will bring sunglasses and will check out the snorkeling gear - thank you for the heads-up.

I pray everything will go well. We're not experienced riders at all - in fact this will be the 1st time any of us has ridden a sea-doo. But I think we'll catch on. I just hope we don't have the same buttheads you had.

Thank you SO MUCH for your information. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with these guys - they sound like arses.

By some luck, I did book the 9 am tour, I do have the 2-page confirmation already printed and ready to go, I've already arranged to take their $5 pp transportation, and my crew (the kids, really) will probably be most interested in the waverunners. We will bring sunglasses and will check out the snorkeling gear - thank you for the heads-up.

I pray everything will go well. We're not experienced riders at all - in fact this will be the 1st time any of us has ridden a sea-doo. But I think we'll catch on. I just hope we don't have the same buttheads you had.

Thanks for saying that, I felt like a weirdo with a bad review & then recommending, but when I heard you had already booked I wanted you to make the best of it. And with the guys being rude, you know, everyone can have a bad day, right? We were newbies too & I did actually have a lot of fun riding. It was just harder and choppier than I expected at first. You're going to be more prepared & so you will make sure to have the best time possible. Follow those tips though and make sure to buy a waterproof disposable camera (or 2!!) for the excursion.

But have your printed 2 page confirmation with you. For some reason, Debbie only had one page so it did not state that she wanted 2 separate wave runners for 3 people even though her deposit amount showed she paid for it. That's why I keep saying 2 page confirmation!!!

I just hope people follow my tips & have a better time than we did. I was sick when I found out our tour shuttle would have left at 10:20 and was frantic trying to get us a taxi to take us to the Grand Caymanian Resort after I had read on these boards that it would be so easy. We got off the ship & tendered easily and very early because I thought I wanted to shop first. Very expensive shops and NO bargaining meant this was not as fun as I would have thought.

Then there were tons of taxi drivers holding signs that said, "7 mile beach $4.00" and so when I found out that WHERE we wanted to go on the 7 mile beach was further, I said, "No problem, I'll pay more just take us" and they said "NO" Twice I said, "I will pay you whatever you want if you would just take us." and they still said "NO." :eek: At that point I was worried about missing the entire excursion & I knew they wouldn't wait! I actually started crying at the taxi area and someone there hooked me up with a great guy from the "Port Authority" who helped me immediately & apologized for my troubles. It should not have been THAT much trouble!!

So my time in the most beautiful place was wasted with rookie mistakes:

1) Shopping was mostly a waste of time for me. I'm on a tight budget. I wish I had just headed straight to Resort after tendering.

2) Arranging ahead of time to use the Excursion Co's Shuttle would have saved over an hour of trying to get a taxi.(Again leaving time at the resort before Wave Runners thing even started would have been much better.)

3) You CAN take your digital camera if your willing to leave your belongings in a locked up shed on the beach at the resort during your ride. It felt pretty safe.

Finally, don't panic about rushing back at each port just cuz you don't have a passport. I'm not saying to be late, but I think we kept feeling like we had to rush back or we'd miss the boat. I don't think this is as likely to happen & I wish we could have just relaxed more at the ports and not worried about this so much. The ship seemed to leave late in every port...

Have a great trip!!

One thing to consider is that riding waverunners is very weather-dependant. :eek: If the weather is nice and the water is calm, it's fairly easy and a lot of fun. If the weather is at all windy and the waves are higher, then it's a lot of work. I still find it fun, but you do bounce around a lot and get a lot of spray in the face.

We take our sea-doos out to Stingray City at least two or three times a week when we're on island, so I've had a lot of experience with riding in that area. It can be tough to get back on after you've been in the water, especially with anything rougher than low waves...it's a lot like trying to get on a horse without a mounting block...and without anyone holding the horse still. :D The waverunners move with the flow of the waves, and you may really have to boost yourself up. I find it works well to try to get one knee up on the foot platform area near the back of the waverunner, then sort of climb up from there. Don't try to climb on from the side...it almost never works...and don't try to get all the way up in one jump. There's really no graceful way of getting back on them...the waves pretty much prevent that.

It's definitely an ACTIVE excursion the way it's set up, though, and not a sightseeing one. You're right in saying it's more about riding the waverunners than in seeing the destinations. Even on the calm days, you have to pay a lot of attention where you're going, and you don't get to spend a lot of time looking around you at the sights...and since they're generally slower than a boat, it doesn't leave a lot of extra time once you finally get to your destination.

I'd put the waverunners in the same category as things like ziplines and ATV tours as far as cruise ship excursions go...if you'd go for those, you'd have a great time on the waverunners. If you prefer something calmer, you'd be better off choosing something else...

I posted this on the other thread but it bears repeating here.

I ride ATV's at home and I found the waverunners much more of a challenge. The waverunner tour was about going fast and not sightseeing. Of course, I didn't know this in advance. That aside, I was much more upset by the messed up reservation, the rude treatment we received and the lack of concern for safety. If not for all of that, we would have had a lot more fun even with the rough water. I have never been treated that way on any excursion in Grand Cayman (and I have been on quite a few) and there was no excuse for it. When I returned home and looked up my reservation, I was able to confirm that my reservation and my deposit was for 2 waverunners (they said I only had one reserved when we got there). I forwarded that reservation along with a note about what happened and didn't hear back from them. Given the way we were treated, I have to wonder if that reservation mistake wasn't intentional. It wouldn't have mattered once we got to the beach because they sold the "extra" waverunner to a couple who just walked up knowing that I had it reserved.

I am not putting down riding waverunners in Grand Cayman down at all. But I do think this company is treating people wrong and getting away with it. At the very least, they could offer an apology. (right!)

Hi, Andrea! No more waverunners for me, either! I prefer a calm, relaxing scuba with sharks, haha. (no, I'm not kidding!)

Archived