Does anyone wear a fanny pack?

Wasubi03

No. I have a really small purse that I sling across my body and hardly notice it. It zips closed, it's just big enough for my SeaPass card, lipbalm, my ID, camera and CC if I'm going ashore. In port, I bring a tote, so I can stash stuff that I buy. It's funny, I am under no illusion that I look like anything but a tourist when I'm in port, no matter how I dress...but I think it comes from growing up in a very touristy town, I'm just not a fanny-pack girl.

I think they're great.. Caution: I have been harrassed in the past for using one... deragatory words were said behind my back, I almost knocked out a few people.. So be prepared to hear,"He's wearing a 'Fa* Bag'",amongst other things...

I hate to say it but I am thinking of wearing a fanny pack so I can put my wallet, cell phone, and passport in it! I know it's not cool to wear a fanny pack but I am just curious how many people use them or think it is a good idea?:D

I have used them in the past. I now wear cargo shorts or pants depending on the temperature/weather. :)

I do use a fanny pack on ship in the morning to carry my sunglasses, small Bible, binoculars as I go up for the sunrise and coffee. Haven't had any problems with any other passengers or crew! :)

Sorry if I came across too crude. I am just a strong believer that you should always try to look your best no matter where you are and what you are doing.

Note to self: make sure I never let Sara see me in my sleeping sweats and t-shirts on the Gen cruise. :D :p

Actually, I always carry a nylon draw string backpack. For me it's just really comfortable and a great option. I just couldn't possibly wear a fanny pack. I saw my MIL wear one on a cruise, that was enough to make me never want to wear one. ;)

I used fanny packs but got tired of hearing people make fun of me and refer to them as "one stop shopping" for thieves. I moved on to a canvas tote and later a nylon tote. But this thread has given me heart, I'm going to back to wearing my fanny pack! THANKS!

I used fanny packs but got tired of hearing people make fun of me and refer to them as "one stop shopping" for thieves. I moved on to a canvas tote and later a nylon tote. But this thread has given me heart, I'm going to back to wearing my fanny pack! THANKS!

Welcome back!!!!:)

My husband uses one all the time. On board ship, he uses a neck wallet but in port switches to the fanny pack because it will hold more. He likes the convenience of it AND this one cannot ask me to carry anything for him ... LOL. The Neck Wallet (you can buy them thru most travel stores and amazon.com) is great for carrying his Sign & Sail card.

instead of a fanny pack I have now been using a Vera Bradley hipster purse and they also make a smaller version called the mini hipster purse which has a slideable strap that I move to the position that fits me as I a tall women at 6 ft and I wear it crossbody. I can get everything in this purse that I need. I found this to be the solution to my life now since I have my leg in a boot cast for the last 12 weeks. I will never carry another purse for shopping and life. I have now bought on ebay three different patterns of my Vera Bradley hipster to go with different colors of my wardrobe. I have an executive job and I must go out on job sites so this purse with my crutches has been a wonderful addition to my life and it solves travel problems too! Just think I can carry my own luggage now with this purse going across my body. I feel safer with the purse this way too!

CincinnatiGal:)

I bought a Vera Bradley hipster last week. It will be great for onboard for my card, misc things I need, and even my camera. For port, I have a Vera Bradley purse that goes "cross body" or "shoulder" and is perfect for travel with its zippers etc. I was lucky enough to get one bag in a discontinued fabric for 40% off on the Vera Bradley website. (verabradley.com)

A fanny pack isn't for me...never has been but mostly b/c I'm a bit "fluffy", I wear all shirts baggy and untucked and couldn't stand to have something cinched around my waist but who am I to make fun of someone who wears them? Honestly, I don't think anything when I see someone wearing one. To each their own. If something works for you, stick with it.

I have a "going out" purse. It's black, crocheted, and about 6" long and about 5" wide and it has a lining with a pocket that holds my license, $$, credit/debit card(s), and the main compartment holds my digital camera. It will be big enough to hold my passport too. It has a zipper with a flap over it. The strap is braided and I usually put it across my body and it's small enough and not bulky for me to wear it that way sitting or standing. I'll be using it on my trip in August for the shore excursions. I just have to ask....is it a faux-pas to use a black bag in the middle of summer? :p Just poking fun... :D

A fanny pack isn't for me...never has been but mostly b/c I'm a bit "fluffy", I wear all shirts baggy and untucked and couldn't stand to have something cinched around my waist but who am I to make fun of someone who wears them? Honestly, I don't think anything when I see someone wearing one. To each their own. If something works for you, stick with it.

I have a "going out" purse. It's black, crocheted, and about 6" long and about 5" wide and it has a lining with a pocket that holds my license, $$, credit/debit card(s), and the main compartment holds my digital camera. It will be big enough to hold my passport too. It has a zipper with a flap over it. The strap is braided and I usually put it across my body and it's small enough and not bulky for me to wear it that way sitting or standing. I'll be using it on my trip in August for the shore excursions. I just have to ask....is it a faux-pas to use a black bag in the middle of summer? :p Just poking fun... :D

Whatever floats your boat! Do what is convenient and comfortable on your vacation. If others don't like it - tough too-toos.:p

Of course, I don't wear mine on my actual fanny. I always have it front, kind of off to my right side just a wee bit. They ought to call them "tummy packs". :D

I use mine for cruises too!! I agree, it's nice to have everything you need to carry handy without carrying a purse....

Marsha

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone actually wearing a fanny pack on back. Seems safer and more convenient to have them hanging in front.

I personally don't because they are uncomfortable especially when you are sitting down. But if you like it, who cares? ;-)

I have a dozen of those types of small shoulder satchels. But, I always come back to my front packs (don't wear them on my fanny.) When we go into Puerto Vallarta and swim at the Crystal Vallarta Hotel, I'll bring along a beach tote. But I also have my small pack inside for small items.

I had one years ago that I wore when we went to Disneyland, hte hands free feature is great.

Fast forward a few years and now I would never wear it again. I've found a small organized purse that is worn across the body, has enough space for anything you may need for the daytime and not so large a husband or child can ask you to accomodate any of their junk.

http://www.ebags.com/kipling/eldorado_travel_organizer_small/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=16695

Or, a bit large one:

http://www.ebags.com/kipling/lancelot_snap_front_shoulder_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=12140

Those of you that wear fanny packs I don't know what you are thinking. They are the most ridiculous looking thing that was ever invented. These days with so many alternatives out there I can't believe people still wear them. Do you look in the mirror before you leave your cabin in the morning?

YEP. :DI look pretty darn good, too. ;)

For me there really is no "norm" for looking one's best. Everyone has their own style and what they feel comfortable with. I'm not sure how old you are, but I've noticed as I've gotten older, certain things don't affect me as they might have when I was younger.

My husband can't stand capris or fanny packs (worn in front or back). But, I wear both, because I am comfortable in them. I wish he would wear shorts or more colorful shirts. But he doesn't. That doesn't mean either of us is non-presentable. We just don't wear clothes to please others or even one another most of the time. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I came across too crude. I am just a strong believer that you should always try to look your best no matter where you are and what you are doing.

I have one of these among my collection of bags. :) Nice bag! But for me, that would be too much bag just to wear around the ship. I like to keep something small very close to my body in front. That would be my little, black leather front pack (technically called fanny pack.) Great for when I'm sitting at the slots. Convenient for dinner and the shows. Holds my sail pass, lip gloss, gum and a couple other small items.) When we go off to the ports or when I want to include a paperback book around the ship, I switch to my larger front pack. I do carry a roomy beach tote to the pool everyday, though.

I also have two large Baggalini tote bags that I bought from the AAA shop and eBags. I carried one on a plane when we flew to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise. Large enough to put my regular purse or smaller multi-pocket bag inside.

The best invention ever! People on the Disney boards swore by it so I tried it on our last trip to Disney. Now Im addicted.

AAA has them for under $20. And you can look online too at other places, like ebags.

Now that I have the baggalini, Ill never go back. It became a HUGE joke when we were on vacation. I kept calling it by its name, making sure it was always with us, making people put stuff into it to see how much it could hold. I drove everyone crazy!

You'll want to messenger bag. here is the official site.

http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp?product=%27MES160%27

Amen! :D That sums it up nicely.

Backpack or fanny pack, depends on what we're doing/carrying. Don't really care what people think of me. I am a tourist and I do want convenience. Fashion has never been my top concern on vacation or at home.

Archived