First Time cruiser wants low down on COsta Classica

nicknish

Hey ,

First time cruiser needs help , 7 days greece and croatia , starting july 6th.

NCL V/s Costa?the good , the bad and the Ugly.

What are hidden costs of cruising?

Is crusing better than back packing through europe?

What about shore excursions ? Their costs? Better to book ahead or do your own thing once you dock.

How far is the city centre from the docking area?

Food is covered on board ? or not? Is it good?

If not american citizen , what visas would we require?

Thanks, I'm really suprised at the efficiency and honesty of this forum. You guys Rock!$!

Hi nicknish: I'm booked on this cruise too! We're first time cruisers too. Although I do have a few answers for you.

Shore excursions are available through the costa website if you select the cruise and then the details you can see what ones are available. My agent said if you're not into excursions you can hire a taxi at port to take you around and there are apparently tours available at port when you get off in some locations. Often from what I hear, it is cheaper to book yourself on a private tour than through costa, but we did book a few just for convenience.

Food is covered on board, but not alcohol.

I went on Google maps and looked at the satellite pics to see where the dock is versus the cities. Corfu, Dubrovnik, Ancona are very close: a couple of minutes by taxi or a good walk. Piraeus is about 7miles from Athens and not sure about Mykonos. Santorini has a high elevation so there are apparently cable cars or other transport to get you up the climb to the city.

See you on board!

Much will depend on what you are interested in seeing/doing...and price for the cruise if you want to compare it to NCL...All around the Adriatic/Ionic seas will be high season in July. Compare it to backpacking? Hard to answer, depends on what one is used to! The more you look into these boards, the better you can make plans.

Costa will have, perhaps a majority - of Europeans aboard (this time of year, Americans tend to use American cruiselines, which are fancier as far as serving customers). Many languages, different ways of behaving. Also has a 'kids under 17 travel free' so may be full of free travelling youngsters, with or without parents looking after them (I wonder if the kids actually enjoy these cruises). Costa may considered - budget - less frills, food edible/not fancy nor great (definately not very Italian other than by lable) - drinks, depending on what - to be paid for in one way or other (the water they serve free is drinkable - odd taste, but...may also depend on personal sensitivity).

Tours - those from Costa cost alot. At Piraeus, for example, four of us took a taxi for about a quarter of the price to do almost the same offered one. The train station is about a 20 minute walk (depending on whom is doing the walking) and one can get to the Acropolis even cheaper that way.

Visas for non- Americans - check with whatever government the passport is issued by and the ones visited - ought to be no problem - Costa takes passports, gives a (legal for where visited) photocopy with their stamp and does 'blanket' visas which should cover all your ports since in a European area (some Middle Eastern countries have other requirements)...the more you look into all this here, the more you can be prepared.

• 4 weeks later...

We went on a Costa cruise two years ago the Costa Magica to Norway and it was beautiful. The boat was great and Norway was wonderful.

If you have not been on a Costa cruise a few bits of information. They are Europe's #1 cruise line and cater mostly to European's. Mostly Italian, Spanish and German. Don't be surprised if there are not alot of people on board that don't speak English. Mostly Italian's and German and Spanish.

When we went there were 3600 people on board and only 100 English speaking people (including the crew). Everything is in 5 different languages including the TV's in your cabins. The food is not very good and deserts even worse.

The European's were very rude people. They would practically push you out of the way is they needed to get past you.

We will never do Costa Cruise ever again.

anyoe else out there that has had this experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Costa Classica in 2005 for the Eastern Mediterranean. We had never been on a Costa before but chose this ship for its specific ports. The ports were great; a lot of time spent on shore left us pretty much too tired to explore the ship very much.

However, I must agree with much of what Fabian says. We were only 50 English speaking people on the ship and most of the other passengers appeared to be Italian. Thankfully, ships announcements were in several languages, including English.

Entertainment was in Italian; on some nights language was not an issue as the show was juggling or other non-verbal entertainment.

Since that experience, we have spent 3 weeks on land throughout Italy and have learned that Italians just do not queue. We can understand how this might be misinterpreted as to be rude. We thought so originally on our Costa cruise.

You may also want to know that smoking is very acceptable and was everywhere.

But the most disagreeable aspect of our cruise was the dining room. Their beef was not American beef-very tough and tasteless. Pasta was good, and we learned to only order that and fish. The other aspect of the dining room that intensely dislike (and may have been remedied since our cruise) was the dining room was mirrored and had marble floors--making it almost impossible to have a conversation as their was such a din, that only got louder as the evening progressed.

We have been on 29 cruises on many lines so far; but, all in all, I doubt that we would ever take a Costa cruise again.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey ,

First time cruiser needs help , 7 days greece and croatia , starting july 6th.

NCL V/s Costa?the good , the bad and the Ugly.

What are hidden costs of cruising?

Is crusing better than back packing through europe?

What about shore excursions ? Their costs? Better to book ahead or do your own thing once you dock.

How far is the city centre from the docking area?

Food is covered on board ? or not? Is it good?

If not american citizen , what visas would we require?

Thanks, I'm really suprised at the efficiency and honesty of this forum. You guys Rock!$!

I already have a post on this would like to add a few things.

First of all Costa does have beautiful ships but so does NCL. I think that the prices are about the same as NCL. Costa probably has a few more itineraries in Europe than NCL does but if you are English speaking, beware.

Even the food is much better on NCL. Costa, even their pizza was not the best or any of the Italian dishes in the main dining room. Their eggs were always runny and the bacon was not good. How hard is it to cook decent bacon.

If you can get past even the entertainment and all the excursions being in 5 different languages then test the waters with Costa.

We would never do Costa again even in the caribbeann which is very close to where we live.

NCL all the way. It also helps if you have a NCL credit card. Every $3 that you spend, $1 goes for a cruise. If you pay it off every month there are no charges and you are saving towards your cruise.

Hope this helps. :o

I already have a post on this would like to add a few things.

First of all Costa does have beautiful ships but so does NCL. I think that the prices are about the same as NCL. Costa probably has a few more itineraries in Europe than NCL does but if you are English speaking, beware.

Even the food is much better on NCL. Costa, even their pizza was not the best or any of the Italian dishes in the main dining room. Their eggs were always runny and the bacon was not good. How hard is it to cook decent bacon.

If you can get past even the entertainment and all the excursions being in 5 different languages then test the waters with Costa.

We would never do Costa again even in the caribbeann which is very close to where we live.

NCL all the way. It also helps if you have a NCL credit card. Every $3 that you spend, $1 goes for a cruise. If you pay it off every month there are no charges and you are saving towards your cruise.

Hope this helps. :o

No excursion is done in in 5 different languages, the maximum that I have heard of is TWO and that is when there is not enough to fill a tour bus then you are given the oppotunity to do the tour with a mixed two language bus.

I always have to laugh when people give their judgement (!), be it good or bad, for me food is very subjective, but reading CC you would think that there are a million 5 star Michelin chefs who are members.

Also bacon is not bacon, the only way to eat it is with a fried egg and between 2 slices of fried bread, just like mum used to make.

All I say about food is:

"One man's meat is another man's poissons".

Ron

Food is subjective I have done about 20 cruises with Costa and 3 with NCL the food on Costa is excellent and at least they dont have "Free style

Dinning" if you want to eat in the dinning room every night for certain Costa you can.

A friend new to cruising said which ship shall we choose I said various companies we had sailed but said dont use NCL and of course that was the one they chose when they returned they said they wished they had listened and didnt like NCL I rest my case

No excursion is done in in 5 different languages, the maximum that I have heard of is TWO and that is when there is not enough to fill a tour bus then you are given the oppotunity to do the tour with a mixed two language bus.

I always have to laugh when people give their judgement (!), be it good or bad, for me food is very subjective, but reading CC you would think that there are a million 5 star Michelin chefs who are members.

Also bacon is not bacon, the only way to eat it is with a fried egg and between 2 slices of fried bread, just like mum used to make.

All I say about food is:

"One man's meat is another man's poissons".

Ron

Well you living or being from Germany no doubt you would pick Costa.

Well maybe 3 different languages. However I must say that the tour guide did a very good job with the English, German and Italian. We did enjoy the boat and the excursions were very well done.

Let me clarify for you that the anouncements were all done in 5 different languages on the boat, not the excursions.

The food ws really awful. Maybe your mum made runny scrambled eggs but no thanks.

Food is subjective but everyone has their own opinions.

I would pick NCL anyday over Costa. Costa never again.

Anyway that's why they made different cruise lines. Ha.

Well you living or being from Germany no doubt you would pick Costa.

You should never judge a leopard by it's spots or where someone lives, it could get you into trouble.

Well maybe 3 different languages. However I must say that the tour guide did a very good job with the English, German and Italian. We did enjoy the boat and the excursions were very well done.

Let me clarify for you that the anouncements were all done in 5 different languages on the boat, not the excursions.

You are the last person that has to clarify anything for me, especially about Costa, but as in my first message on this thread I must clarify incorrect information in your message.

The food ws really awful. Maybe your mum made runny scrambled eggs but no thanks.

What my mother cooks is of absolutely no concern of yours.

Food is subjective but everyone has their own opinions.

I would pick NCL anyday over Costa. Costa never again.

Anyway that's why they made different cruise lines. Ha.

Good sailing on NCL.

Don't mess with Blu ;)

Take a few minutes and read through Blu*Donau's post. You might find his information he post to be the most objective on this Costa thread. Yes he lives in Germany but you have no idea if he is German, English, or even American.:rolleyes:

To the OP. You can see there are some very strong opinions about Costa. I have sailed both NCL and Costa. I expect a lot for my money and my vacation. I have sailed on three Costa cruises that were not all perfect and I would still sail Costa again. I really did not like NCL's freestyle dinning. I do not want to wait to be seated for dinner. Even with that in mind I am trying NCL again for a 3 day in September.

Food: We like Costa better. The pasta is to die for.

Service in dinning room: COSTA!!!

Rooms: Hard for me to compare as we did an inside for 4 on NCL and have always had a balcony on Costa. Costa's balconys are nice size and with a lot of storage. I would give Costa the edge on room service.

Shows: NCL had the better shows. Language was never a problem in the shows on Costa. Yes, you get 5 languages or even more depending on the passengers but it was never a problem.

Activities: Depends on the ship. Newer NCL ships have much more than Costa. There is always something to do on both lines.

Service over all: Costa

Kids programs: NCL

Alcohol: Costa by far. X1 drink package can not be beat. NCL sends you to the naughty room if you smuggle alcohol. It is easy with Costa.

Spa: NCL by a little. I believe both are run by the same company.

Passengers: Costa has many more international passengers whose customs are very different from us (Americans). Many view them as rude. I have witnessed rude passengers from all nationalities. NCL mostly has Americans.

Ships: Costa has been the CLEANEST I have ever been on. It is hard to compare ships unless you know which two you are looking at.

Price: Cost brought me to Costa and continues to draw my attention. We have sailed 4 in a balcony for $2500 or less each time. They run kids sail free often.

I would be happy to answer any specific question I can. I have only sailed in the Caribbean so anything specific to Europe I really don't know.

No matter what line you end up on......keep an open mind. You are on vacation!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, cruising is well better than backpacking if you like your luxuries.

Have been on many cruises. only one previously with Costa. on Classica, an really enjoyed it. Am fro U.K. and not many english speaking passengers on board, but noy a problem.

Am on Costa Magica from Barcelona un July this year and looking forward to it.Have not sailed NCL, However, did Royal Caribbean Splendour of Seas 2006 and I would say they were better than Classica. Nevertheless I really enjoyed Costa or I ould not have boooked again!

With regars to excursions it depends how brave you are, personally I tend to explore websites before I depart and find out what public transport is like etc. Thats part of the experience.

Whatever you do enjoy.............................

We went on a Costa cruise two years ago the Costa Magica to Norway and it was beautiful. The boat was great and Norway was wonderful.

If you have not been on a Costa cruise a few bits of information. They are Europe's #1 cruise line and cater mostly to European's. Mostly Italian, Spanish and German. Don't be surprised if there are not alot of people on board that don't speak English. Mostly Italian's and German and Spanish.

When we went there were 3600 people on board and only 100 English speaking people (including the crew). Everything is in 5 different languages including the TV's in your cabins. The food is not very good and deserts even worse.

The European's were very rude people. They would practically push you out of the way is they needed to get past you.

We will never do Costa Cruise ever again.

anyoe else out there that has had this experience.

Not even close...Love Costa met some great guys from Germany and Italy we all had a blast WOW I would go again in a heartbeat. I was with a group of friends that have traveled all over and would live 1/2 the year in Italy if we could.

Food was great.....Service was European and Americans are not used to European style service. Good service but they do not fall all over you Loved all our Servers and the animations crew was a blast!

Ship was clean and the whole package was awesome.

If you have never been outside of an american enviornment it may seem different! Open your mind embrace the other cultures learn about where they are from and what they do. Enjoy let me know what you think! I love COSTA!

FYI Europeans ie Italians do not believe in lines so just fall in and go with the flow.

This statement not isnot 100% factual, with regards to Europeans (for get the Italians for a moment) the Brits are Europeans (if if they vehmently deny it, but geographically and politically thy are) and they invented the "line".;)

Ron

Archived