Hello from the Ryndam

Playsprite

We're sitting in port and they have an internet cafe at the dock. $2 for 1 hour.. A price I can afford. The cruise has been wondreful so far. We are traveling wiith our 22 y.o. daughter, so all the staff know our name. It is always hello Mister Ron and Miss Susan, where is Miss Rissa tonight? We have met a wonderful family of 2 brothers and 1 sister. We met them during the day and hit it off, then come to find out we were seated with them for dinner each night. It has been alot of fun. I will post more about each day when I get home. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We are on the 10 day cruise. :p

Our first HAL cruise was on the Ryndam around South America - Valparaiso to Rio. (We had been on RCL prior to HAL-great cruise also) I will always think of the Ryndam as my special ship-- it was truly an amazing trip with a visit to Machu Pichu pre-cruise. We've been on several cruises since them on HAL ships, but I will always think of the Ryndam as my first love.

Hi ~

Where were you in at the Internet cafe? Which port? I would like to know, so I can keep in touch back home with out going broke.

I cannot wait 4 more days til the Ryndam! Look out San Diego here we come!

Hopefully my flight on Midwest isn't grounded, that would not be nice!:eek:

Hi ~

Where were you in at the Internet cafe? Which port? I would like to know, so I can keep in touch back home with out going broke.

I cannot wait 4 more days til the Ryndam! Look out San Diego here we come!

Hopefully my flight on Midwest isn't grounded, that would not be nice!:eek:

I am not on this cruise but in my poking around online I found a site that gives pretty good information about all the ports on your sailing. I will be on the Ryndam myself on the 25th.

It is apparently against the rules to put companies names on here, but I can say it is the company with the gnomes ;) Go through the site as if you were booking a cruise and bring up the itinerary. You will be able to click on each port and it will provide lots of info such as:

'Where You're Docked'

'Getting Around'

'What To See And Do'

'Where To Eat and Drink'

'Staying In Touch'

'Shopping'

The ' Staying in Touch' will tell you about places with internet

I found their information very helpful and just printed off all of it for our ports and will take that with me. I figure it will come in handy while roaming around in port.

Hope this helps you. Enjoy your cruise. I look forward to my first cruise on Hal and the Ryndam when you return her to port in San Diego.

Rochelle

Thanks for posting Playsprite! I'm sure you're enjoying the Mex Riv, I know I do.

While you're onboard could you possibly find out about the thermal suite? I'm going to be sailing on the 25th and am wondering about signing up for the duration, I'm curious as to the price and what it includes.

mpduquaine: There's also a section right here on Cruise Critic with quite a bit of port information. If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to "Forum Jump" and scroll through that list you'll find "Ports of Call" with a Mexican Riviera option.

Since you mention Midwest Airlines, I sure hope you'll be able to get your flight out w/o any weather or other hassles. The way things look today in northern WI isn't too great!

Incidentally, that Topo stop - if you're not doing the Copper Canyon tour - is a good day to stay on board and enjoy a semi-empty ship. They were running bus shuttles into town from Topo, but no one thought it was worth the journey! (We were on the 3/26 sailing).

We're sitting in port and they have an internet cafe at the dock. $2 for 1 hour.. A price I can afford. The cruise has been wondreful so far. :p

Lovely to hear live from the Ryndam. I have a good Filipino friend working on the ship. He is a barman called ED. When and if you run into him say hi from 'Sir Paul'. Tell him to give you a drink on me!!!

What's a good place for me to enjoy my nightly pre-dinner martini ... Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest? I like someplace with lots of activity for me to observe.

Paul123 having been called "Sir Paul" reminds me of Celebrity's Mercury Martini Bar bartender who referred to me as "Sir Donald." It's always great to have friendly and attentive staff on any cruise line.

I am looking forward to enjoying a 12-day cruise on Ryndam later this month!

Donald.

Playspirit, thanks for posting. We will be boarding the Ryndam as you are leaving. I am in the midst of packing and was wondering if you really have 3 formal nights? I read on some board that the middle one was at the discretion of the Captain and was hoping, given the port intensive schedule, that there would only be 2 on this cruise. What about a top deck Bar B Ques in lieu of a formal dinner, say the night of Topolobampo (sp?) Also, how is the dress code being observed? THANKS!!!

What's a good place for me to enjoy my nightly pre-dinner martini ... Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest? I like someplace with lots of activity for me to observe.

Paul123 having been called "Sir Paul" reminds me of Celebrity's Mercury Martini Bar bartender who referred to me as "Sir Donald." It's always great to have friendly and attentive staff on any cruise line.

Donald.

Donald,

I am surprised you did not ask this question on oour roll call although I think you might get two different answers. I beleive it is Bob who prefers the Ocean Bar and Gail prefers the Crows Nest for the view but will go where the best bartenders are! :) As I have never been on the Ryndam I have no opinion, but am more than willing to test run every bar to see which is my favourite!

Rochelle

Donald.

If you enjoy pleasant dance music, go to the Ocean Bar. If you want to take in outdoor scenery, then go to the Crow's Nest.

Bon Voyage!

If you enjoy pleasant dance music, go to the Ocean Bar. If you want to take in outdoor scenery, then go to the Crow's Nest.

Bon Voyage!

I knew that the choices would be these two locations - either sounds just great. I will be having my nightly pre-dinner martini at 7pm. If the sun sets between that time and second dinner sitting, there should be spectacular scenery from the Crow's Nest.

Donald.

Hi Everyone,

We had a great cruise. My original post that I typed was longer, but someone turned off the computer and I lost my post so I forgot to put stuff in the quickie I managed to do. I will start by answering questions. I will write a review also. Not sure if it goes in the Sea of Cortez folder or Holland America.

I was in Topolobampo, right off the gangway they set up vendors and one of them was an internet cafe. Very nice. Had 3 monitors but they all ran off the same computer. So don't turn off the computer to cover your internet tracks (John). By doing that everyone else loses what they were doing. lol...

We never went to the thermal suite. Sorry, I think thats the sauna, hot tubs, etc. Its 20$ a day or you can buy a trip package. I was always busy doing something and never made it there.

We had 3 formal nights. The first was on day 1, the second was on day 4 and then on day 8. Lobster was day 8. An interesting note here was that if you ordered 2 extra lobesters after your first 2 they would only bring 1. Don't know if you could continue to get them one at a time.

Dress Code is being observed, everyone looked very nice. The one gentleman (benefit of the doubt plays here) who insisted he had paid to eat where ever he wanted despite what he was wearing, Was told in very polite but firm tones " We have a jacket you may wear if you wish to eat here tonight. If not dinner is being served on the Lido deck." He ate on the lido deck. After making a moderate scene.

As for pre dinner Martini's...

Lots of action around ocean bar, and piano bar. If you smoke go to the ocean bar or Crows nest. We always went to the crows nest after dinner. The ocean bar is close to the dining room and we always ran into the same fun crowd there. The bartenders Rene and Roberto are wonderful and fun. All the wait staff there was fun to watch as we would always show up before our daughter. Then we would sit back and watch the guys when she walked into the bar. There were very few 22 y.o. women on the ship. Maybe 4 total that weren't crew.

Well thats all for now, I will write my review. Hope you all enjoy.:D

I'm Playsprite's DH. Here are a few photo's of the trip just a few at a time.

:D

Our Daughter doing last minute packing

DSCF2002.JPG?imgmax=512

Our Daughter and myself at the terminal in San Diego

DSCF2005.JPG?imgmax=512

Daughter and I getting ready for the lifeboat drill

DSCF2026.JPG?imgmax=512

Playsprite and I sailing out of San Diego

DSCF2042.JPG?imgmax=512

Beautiful downtown San Diego from the Ryndam deck

DSCI0013.JPG?imgmax=512

A few more later. Thanks

Ron

Everyone of the crew members were just wonderful. My family and I were treated like royality. I thought it was great that the Captain and the Hotel manager of the MS Ryndam let me take this shot of them with my daughter in the Ocean Bar. I love this photo.:)

SANY0480.JPG?imgmax=512

What a great ship and crew. Cannot wait until we cruise again. Playsprite (Susan) is already looking at the Alaska cruise for next year.:D

Ron

Archived