QE2 Farewell Memory Book for CC Members

QueensFan

A big thing on QM2 for us CCers is the visitor's book in the library. It's a way we collect our memories of the ship and our visits.

I was cleaning my closet, and found a barely-used (tear out the first page and it's fine) beautiful notebook, with a picture of Normandie on front and "Bon Voyage" emblazoned on the cover, that I got from Borders a few years ago. I don't know what to do with it, so I got an idea.

I'm going to bring it with me on QE2 Saturday when I board for the April crossing, and designate it the "CC QE2 Farewell Memory Book." I'll bring it to the meetups the first two days, and then try and arrange for it to be left in the library like the equivalent on QM2 is.

To make sure it doesn't go to Dubai, in the front cover, I'll inscribe it with my address (to give it an "owner" to return it to in the final sweepup in November), and ask someone on the final voyage to retrieve it before debarking and mail to to me. After I get it back, I'll scan all the pages in and put them up.

I hope that you'll all sign this book over the next seven months. Fill it with memories. Stain it with tears. Pepper it with photos and doodles. And just don't run out of pages before November!

Once I get everything put together, I'll post some photos so everyone knows what it looks like, and will post its onboard location when I have it figured out.

Thank you so much for organising this, I asked about such a book on a previous B2B cruise, and the member of staff in the library said she would try and purchase something in Southampton, but it never happened :(

We will definitely sign it when we are on board in a couple of weeks or so :)

Greg, thank you for doing this. We will most definitely sign it while onboard in August.

I know that you must be very, very excited to be boarding your dream ship tomorrow and I am looking forward to your review. With your enthusiasm for all things Cunard I am sure that the review will be wonderful. Give my regards to M-L, Matthew, Malcolm, DAK and all of our other friends who will be on this voyage with you.

Bettie

A big thing on QM2 for us CCers is the visitor's book in the library. It's a way we collect our memories of the ship and our visits.

I was cleaning my closet, and found a barely-used (tear out the first page and it's fine) beautiful notebook, with a picture of Normandie on front and "Bon Voyage" emblazoned on the cover, that I got from Borders a few years ago. I don't know what to do with it, so I got an idea.

I'm going to bring it with me on QE2 Saturday when I board for the April crossing, and designate it the "CC QE2 Farewell Memory Book." I'll bring it to the meetups the first two days, and then try and arrange for it to be left in the library like the equivalent on QM2 is.

To make sure it doesn't go to Dubai, in the front cover, I'll inscribe it with my address (to give it an "owner" to return it to in the final sweepup in November), and ask someone on the final voyage to retrieve it before debarking and mail to to me. After I get it back, I'll scan all the pages in and put them up.

I hope that you'll all sign this book over the next seven months. Fill it with memories. Stain it with tears. Pepper it with photos and doodles. And just don't run out of pages before November!

Once I get everything put together, I'll post some photos so everyone knows what it looks like, and will post its onboard location when I have it figured out.

Will do Greg :D

Thanks,

Gav :cool:

I'd love to sign it but alas I will only be on board tomorrow for a visit, probably my last time aboard. :(

It is a pity as I would also love to meet you and so many others who are sailing.

But it is a brilliant idea, I only wish someone had thought of it earlier and we could have gotten it started on the Final Winter Crossing. (Of course, many of the Winter Crossers will be on board for next week's crossing too - but not me. :( )

Well, the Farewell Book is safely packed in my backpack, which I'm carrying onboard today. After it's signed at the two CC meets for the crossing, I'm going to try and place it in the library, behind the desk, like the QM2 book.

Hopefully, we fill it exactly by November. If earlier, then I think I know someone on most voyages between now and then, and can have them swap books out. Please keep me updated on its fullness, and when/if it gets close to the breaking point, I'll mail someone on a coming trip a new, prepped notebook, a letter to approve them taking the old one away, and postage costs.

I think that this is going to be a really cool way for us to all say goodbye to this great liner. I hope you'll all sign it when you get onboard for these final trips.

Greg - It was great meeting you yesterday. I am honored to be the first person to sign the book. I am sure it has collected quite a few signatures by now!

I just realized that I have not signed QM2's book, which is rather embarrassing as I have been on her three times. :o I'll have to next time I am aboard, whenever that is.

Does anyone know if QUEEN VICTORIA has got one of these yet? She certainly should.

• 3 months later...

I want to bring this back up. Haven't been on CC that much lately, but want to make sure that the membership here knows about this very special project on QE2 that's really flourishing.

Since Doug was the first to sign it in the middle of a stairway back on 12 April, reports are that we're many pages into the Farewell Memory Book, and we have even gotten a message from Captain McNaught. The goal is to fill the entire book by November.

The book has officially been placed in the library on QE2. From what I understand (I have not, and will not, be back on QE2 after my April crossing), if you ask whoever is at the desk at the library for "The Memory Book," "The Farewell Book," etc, they know what you're talking about. If need be, it's a hardback notebook, about 5" x 8", with a "vintage poster" image of Normandie on the cover.

People have been spreading the word onboard at everything from Meet-and-Greets to dinner tables. But as we near the final months of QE2's service, I want to make sure that as many people as possible know about the book and get a chance to sign it. Due to my CC absence, I have been neglecting this thread a bit. But to make sure people remember to sign it, I'll try to post in this thread before each cruise departs, so that those departing know what's going on. (Hopefully, someone who departed today will read CC and tell everyone!)

When this book is done, it's going to be a very special time capsule of these final months of QE2's history. I am working on making plans for it to be returned to me after 27 November, at which point I plan to scan all the pages and place them on the internet so that everyone can read the entries.

As we near these final months of QE2's service, I hope you'll add to this Memory Book, as a tribute to the great ship which has given us so many wonderful memories.

Guest Anorak33

Sadly we debarked QE2 yesterday and did not know about the book so did not make an entry.

We had no Meet 'n' Greet although I tried to get people interested we met only one other pair of cruisers on board and that was brief.

Does anyone know if QUEEN VICTORIA has got one of these yet? She certainly should.

Hi Doug,

Yes she does have one, it is avaliable from the Library,:D Captain Wright has written inside with a warning that he will be reading it :eek:

Sadly we debarked QE2 yesterday and did not know about the book so did not make an entry.

We had no Meet 'n' Greet although I tried to get people interested we met only one other pair of cruisers on board and that was brief.

If you were on the July 31 sailing, there were at least two meet and greets according to friends who were onboard. They had a great time meeting fellow CC members and members from other Cunard forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Signed it yesterday and read all the previous entries, very moving, its becoming a very special tribue to this magnificent ship/

Have just had by far the best holiday of my life on board QE2. She, and her crew, are simply magnificent. I can't comprehend that I cannot go on her again.

She has done 5.827 million miles as of today.

Hi Doug,

Yes she does have one, it is avaliable from the Library,:D Captain Wright has written inside with a warning that he will be reading it :eek:

I'm sorry I missed the book on our recent QV trip. Hopefully I will be able to find the QE2 one in October. I'm sure it will make most interesting reading!

Glad to hear that the book is still going well. It seems to be working out exactly as designed: a tribute from all perspectives to a great ship.

It's easy to find --- the library by now seems to be well-aware of the existence of the book, with all those asking for it. Just ask for "Farewell Book," "Memory Book," or maybe even just "The Book," and they seem to know what you mean.

I'm looking forward to getting it back at the end of the year, and scanning it all in. Even though that will mean the end of QE2 at sea...

Please, all, keep on signing.

I got the impression from the librarian that there might be more than one farewell book on the go, she asked me if i meant the CruiseCritic one and then she had it behind her in a wee row of notebooks...

Archived