QUICK Advise for Moby Dick Tours

4PTCruiserz

I haven't seen any neg reviews about Moby Dick tours, where have you seen them? We are booked with them in august, they are the only company that responded quickly to my emails and we very helpful. I hope you have a great experience and be sure to post when you return.

As a Cayman Islander, I can highly recommend Mark and his crew.

I've been here a year now and only use Moby Dick when taking my visitors to Stingray City.

Never heard a word against his tour.

Not hurried, great boat, fantastic crew - no complaints at all !!

Tim

• 1 month later...

We used Moby Dicks on May 28, 2008. Great people. Got to snorkel around the reef, enjoy the stingray city (with squid provided), and will drop you off at seven miles beach. No advance deposit.

We just returned from our cruise. We used Mark and his team to visit the coral reef and feed the rays on 6/3. GREAT time. The guys are friendly, helpful, and provided great music via a crew member's ipod (i thought about stealing it, as i had left mine at HOME! LOL).

They were patient with those who were squeamish, and for those who had to take three tries at taking a picture!!! We were able to feed, hold, and of course, KISS the stingrays!

I would highly recommend them...but don't be put off by the purple school bus they transport you in! Also, booking online prior to the excursion saves $5 pp. No advance deposit required; just reserve/book space via their website. Mark will contact you quickly.

Wish i were there again-it was a highlight of our trip!

I am trying to get down the steps and timing involved in this tour. We booked the stingray and snorkel tour. In their confirmation email Moby Dick states that we will arrive at the Royal Watler terminal, and that their first tour leaves at 8:15 local time/9:15 ship time.

My goal is to eat a relaxed breakfast in the dining room, and then catch the Tender into Grand Cayman to be on time for the first tour. Is this possible without a lot of rushing and stress?

How long is the tender ride into Grand Cayman?

How long is the bus ride to the Moby Dick boat?

How long is the boat tour?

How much cushion is there for being back in time to get on a Tender back to the Inspiration?

What kind of food is provided on this tour?

Thanks

We are just off the Freedom of the Seas last week and I can HIGHLY recommend Moby Dick!!!

They run an excellent operation. We got off the tender and there was someone holding a sign and pointed us to the tent to check in. We were VERY concerned that we were not going to make the 8:30 (ship time) tour, as it took a really long time to tender over since they waiting until the tender was at capacity.

The bus ride was about 10-15 minutes and yes they do use the school bus, but the windows were down and there was a nice breeze. We then boarded the boat. Onboard there was a clean bathroom, plenty of seating and a freshwater shower. They had fruit punch (yum) and water available for no charge. Once onboard it was a 20 minute ride out to Barrier Reef for some EXCELLENT snorkeling. After about 45 minutes of snorkeling, we reboarded and headed over to Stingray City.

This was our second time at Stingray City and it was as wonderful as the first. Mark & his crew were all in the water with us, helping us and telling us about the stingrays their behavior and habits.

Back on the boat to head to the dock, and then bus ride back to the pier. On the way back they stopped at 7 mile beach for anyone that wanted to spend some time there. We were tired & pretty hungry, so we decided to go back to the ship for lunch. I think we were back to the dock by 12:45 ship time.

I would with NO HESITATION book Moby Dick Tours again for our next visit to Grand Cayman!!!!!!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• 2 weeks later...

They set out a tip jar just before you get off the boat at the end of the trip. I threw in $10. Would have given them $20, because they were great, but the only other cash I had with me was a $50, and they weren't THAT great! :D

Just experienced Cayman and Moby Dick tours last week. Great! Don't be put off by the purple school bus. The guys are great. They are prompt, explain everything, very patient with the people who do not pay attention and listen to all the explanations. We stopped to snorkel, and then spent time with the stingrays. It was a great experience. Best value for your money. We did tip them, and I was saddened to see that people do not tip any more. My feeling is that you save $$ by taking their tour vs. the ships crowded tours. They treat you well and you get great value for your money.

We used Moby Dick also. Just returned from Liberty of the Seas 7/5. They were great and very informative. They gave everyone a chance to 'cradle" a large stingray and give it a big kiss :rolleyes:. I would recommend them anytime. Well worth the money. You get a smaller group, and more attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know where the OP saw mixed reviews, but I had to chime in in support of Moby Dick. We used Moby Dick in August of '07 and it was FANTASTIC! Very organized and friendly.

For anyone questioning what it's like, in part 1 of our cruise video there are lots of pix from our Moby Dick tour. If you want to skip the other cruise pix, the Moby Dick excursion can be found if you start watching about halfway through...music is "Under the Sea". Part 4 has some in the beginning where you can hear and see a portion of the informative "talk". You can also see how much room we had on the boat. Not crowded at all.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone.

Don't know where the OP saw mixed reviews, but I had to chime in in support of Moby Dick. We used Moby Dick in August of '07 and it was FANTASTIC! Very organized and friendly.

For anyone questioning what it's like, in part 1 of our cruise video there are lots of pix from our Moby Dick tour. If you want to skip the other cruise pix, the Moby Dick excursion can be found if you start watching about halfway through...music is "Under the Sea". Part 4 has some in the beginning where you can hear and see a portion of the informative "talk". You can also see how much room we had on the boat. Not crowded at all.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to anyone.

Great video!! Thanks for sharing that!! We are leaving for our cruise in 19 days and we booked Moby Dick. I feel very comfortable after reading your post. I only have one question for you..... is that a SHARK:eek: in your video???? Did you see that on the stingray tour?? That scares me!!:eek: Also, was that your own snorkel equipment or did they let you use theirs?

Thanks

Marianne

Great video!! Thanks for sharing that!! We are leaving for our cruise in 19 days and we booked Moby Dick. I feel very comfortable after reading your post. I only have one question for you..... is that a SHARK:eek: in your video???? Did you see that on the stingray tour?? That scares me!!:eek: Also, was that your own snorkel equipment or did they let you use theirs?

Thanks! It was a great trip.

And yes...that is a shark...I think the picture you are referring to is the one where my daughter was "petting" it! Anyway, this took place during the snorkel part before we got to Stingray City. When we pulled up to the snorkel area, they pointed out the "friendly, neighborhood shark" to us. Apparently it hangs around there all the time and is very used to humans and all the commotion we bring. Both my kids swam down to touch and swim along side it.

So while I understand your nervousness...(it's a shark, after all!)...in our experience it wasn't frightening. In fact they really had to chase it down since it was ignoring them. :)

As for equipment, some in our group took their own snorkel equipment, but they have PLENTY of nice (sterilized) equipment for you to use. In fact mine broke so I switched to theirs halfway through.

I have booked the stingray tour through Moby Dick Tours (about 2 months ago) for 17 of us. I had the confirmation and everything. We leave in 3 days. My daughter said that they called today and said that they wanted a deposit because our group is so large. I have communicated with them a lot over the past 2 months, and this is the first I've heard of it. I am not very happy about it. I see that they have it on their website now, but that is new-they didn't have it there before now. I wouldn't have minded if they had asked for it in the begining, but asking for it now makes me a little worried. What if the ship doesn't make it in due to weather? They told my daughter that they would call back later when I was home, but the haven't yet. I am wondering if I should switch to a different tour company?

I know it seems scary from your point of view, but you also have to consider theirs. It's a large group, and likely comprises a full boatload for them. What if you change your minds? Depending on the day and how many ships are in, there's a good likelihood that they wouldn't be able to fill up those spaces at the last minute.

For you, it's some vacation fun. For them, it's groceries.

Talk to them before getting too stressed out about it. Likely you'll be able to come up with some kind of plan that makes both of you feel secure.

My first thought is don't give credit card info to someone who calls you. Yeah...it's probably them, but who knows?

You are about to leave so you can 1) ignore/don't take the calls, or 2) handle it upfront by calling them back and ask about the cancellation policy. Then make your decision.

I think it's more than reasonable to ask for a deposit on a large group, but I also think it should have been done from the beginning. You probably should have been grandfathered in, having made your reservation so long ago. Bottom line is that it's a little late to be making changes (by them or by you).

FYI: NativeWay (the other company that is mentioned on this board) takes your cc info and charges you if you don't cancel in the specified time limit. From their web site:

"You will be required to fax a credit card to our secure fax machine to guarantee your arrival. The credit card will not be charged for the tour, just used to insure that you show up. If you do not cancel your reservation at least one week in advance, you will be charged for the full amount of the tour."

I think it will hard for you to find someone that won't ask for some kind of deposit or credit card info, especially for 17 people.

I agree, and I wouldn't have had a problem making a deposit in the begining. It just seems very odd after talking for about 2 months, and about 10 e-mails going back and forth. Now, 3 days before we leave they call and ask for a deposit. I will see if they call back again and see what they say. I did send an e-mail to Native Way and they have room for us. I know that they want t deposit, but they say that up front so I don't have a problem. I will not cancell on Moby Dick unless I am uncomfortable with what they say! Thanks!

I have booked the stingray tour through Moby Dick Tours (about 2 months ago) for 17 of us. I had the confirmation and everything. We leave in 3 days. My daughter said that they called today and said that they wanted a deposit because our group is so large. I have communicated with them a lot over the past 2 months, and this is the first I've heard of it. I am not very happy about it. I see that they have it on their website now, but that is new-they didn't have it there before now. I wouldn't have minded if they had asked for it in the begining, but asking for it now makes me a little worried. What if the ship doesn't make it in due to weather? They told my daughter that they would call back later when I was home, but the haven't yet. I am wondering if I should switch to a different tour company?

I just talked to Debbie at Moby Dick Tours and we got it all worked out. She said that they have had several large groups not show up. Like someone said, this is fun and games for us, but this is how they make a living. I promised her we would be there unless the ship doesn't make it into the port! I'll follow up with a review when we get back!

Archived