Leggings....in or out??

Bunti

Okay, just watched People's week in review for Style and they said leggings are just not hot...should be avoided. But I am seeing them in the stores again, and online. I like black leggings. Are they out again??

Who cares what the editor of Style says... that is just one person's opinion.

I always tell my daughters to wear whatever THEY like (as long as mom approves of course).

CREATE your own style if you like something...

do not be a crowd follower...

Okay, maybe this is why my daughter changes her hair color every week (currently it is indigo)...

One day I might see her walk out of the house wearing something straight out of the 70s... another day, something taffeta that I would have wore to my prom in the 80s... other days, she is dressed in grungewear, preppy stuff, etc.

You name it, it is in that girl's closet! lol

And, the coolest thing is...

everyone loves HER style :)

If you wore them when they were once in fashion, you really shouldn't be wearing them this time around!

And if you do, NEVER wear shiny legging fabric, unless you have NO FLAWS at all! (Shiny shows every single dimple!!!)

Wear them if you are comfortable:) , who cares anyway?? Got over that years ago...may have something to do with age LOL

Jan

The OP cares and this is a fashion forum for people who do care to exchange idea's about fashion and style.

If the OP didn't care, she wouldn't have asked. :)

Okay, just watched People's week in review for Style and they said leggings are just not hot...should be avoided. But I am seeing them in the stores again, and online. I like black leggings. Are they out again??

Yes, they're in. But they're worn in a different way than the first time around.

Now, they're mostly worn under dresses, and usually with ballerina flats.

Yes, they're in. But they're worn in a different way than the first time around.

Now, they're mostly worn under dresses, and usually with ballerina flats.

How is that DIFFERENT?

They have been worn that way for years...

I remember wearing them like that when I was young...

and my teenager has been wearing them like that for a few years now.

I would'nt wear them if, like me, you will like you stuffed them with oranges. At least not a good look for me, or anyone more then about 1 pound overweight. I wish wish wish they had been around back when I could have worn them.:(

How is that DIFFERENT?

They have been worn that way for years...

I remember wearing them like that when I was young...

and my teenager has been wearing them like that for a few years now.

OH very:)

In the 80s we wore them with mid drift shirts.. today they are used more like a tight....

OH very:)

In the 80s we wore them with mid drift shirts.. today they are used more like a tight....

Exactly!

Though in the 80's I hated the look and thought they were awful on everyone.

The way they're worn today is very cute on many. IMHO. Though it's not my look - I like them on many of the women who wear them.

I do not know if they are in or out. I do know I like them. I NEVER wore them decades ago so I am making up for lost time! I would never wear them to work. I would only wear them with a very long top...the kind that go beyond the butt.

I bought two pairs in Fort Lauderdale...they go beyond the knee...summery

I bought the longer heavier version that go above the ankles (they are more like stretch pants).

I think they are cute on teenagers but there is also a way to make them look good on adult women. Most important, they are great for cruising!

Coka

The first time around, we wore them with oversized tunics and sweaters that went past our behinds. I wore that look, as did most of the women I know, but I never did think it was very flattering on most people. You didn't have to be overweight to look fat in the things...the kids in the malls around here used to use the term "spandexasaurus" for anyone wearing leggings and a short top along with a few extra pounds. And those silly stirrup pants....eeeeeek! Those made nearly EVERYONE'S thighs look huge.

I think the way leggings are worn now, with dresses that float away from the body, is much nicer.

I'm probably too old to try it, but I think it's a cute look on young women.

I loved the look in the 80's...with long sweaters and boyfriend-shirts...chunky jewelry and HUGE earrings...!!! (i was a bit smaller then)

...NOW....even the larger ladies can wear them...as the leggings are worn under dresses that come to the knee or below...very nice look...for the tiny girl or the "shapely" lady... I'm not seeing the lurex blend spandex tights of the "disco" era....more of a matte finish....capri or ankle length...somewhat more of an "understated" look....

I vote..."yes"....!!! But then....that's just my O....;)

I am 45 (but very fashion forward). I thought I was too old for leggings until I went to Paris. Now granted the women there are all very fashionable - even into their 50's and 60's, and I saw all ages wearing leggings from 18 to 60, they just wore them in different ways. I saw a beautiful French lady working in one of the stores on Champs Elysées wearing a gorgeous outfit with leggings, and she was in her 50's I'm sure. I had her help me pull a few outfits together that I love. I think the biggest deal is that THEY HAVE TO BE BLACK. Personally I don't like colored leggings on anyone - even supermodels, but for women over 30, black is the only way to go. Tunics and long dresses work wonderfully, and I only wear darker/neutral colors from top to bottom if I'm going with the leggings look. That is the way the French pull them off and I love the look and have gotten tons of compliments on the outfits I bought while in Paris. I'm sure they won't be in forever, but it's safe to say they can be worn for the Spring and Summer. Who knows what the Fall will bring.

Exactly!

Though in the 80's I hated the look and thought they were awful on everyone.

The way they're worn today is very cute on many. IMHO. Though it's not my look - I like them on many of the women who wear them.

YEP!

And one really does need thin legs otherwise if you're even 5lbs overweight they look like sausages!!

;)

Probably not gonna wear them, although I do have a couple of long tunics I will continue to wear over slim cut pants...just not legging tight.

I see lots of 'em at the gym, but not on anyone with an ounce of extra body weight. See them on teens and college girls, with dresses over them. The baby-doll dresses I see over 'em are so not me....guess I missed the leggings this time around!! (Oh well.....Did 'em the first time!!)

I was born in the last 80s and my mom said that was one trend from her college days that should have stayed dead. And I agree:eek:

I love how they bring back decade trends. Bless the capri pants person and the 70s tunic type shirts. But as far as 80s where it was layer on every body part, I'll pass.

Legging with a skirt on top should have been a no-no the first time around

Archived