Truth about Country Inn and Suites

mandaleigh

I've heard so many questions about the Country Inn and so many untruths that I figured I will write a review about our recent stay.

We flew into Newark March 26 into Terminal A. The hotel shuttle pickups are at P4 so you have to grab your luggage and take the AirTrain to P4. A 2 minute ride, plenty of room for your stuff. We called the hotel on the train and the shuttle was there at P4 when we got off. The hotel called and told them to wait as we were coming. The shuttle was a quick 5 minute ride to the hotel.

Check in was quick and painless, we were on the 3rd floor, front of the hotel. Rooms were clean and quiet. We had a busload of teenagers check in an hour after us and, lucky us, they were on our floor. I thought we would need to move floors, but we didn't hear them once they were in their rooms. There is not much of a view, but I thought it was neat seeing 4 planes constntly in line to land. Newark is busy!

They do have free high speed internet in the rooms, it is not wireless, but the cable does reach the bed. Instructions were easy and we didn't have any problems.

We came in 2 days early, just incase of flight delays, so we headed over to the Jersey Gardens outlet mall. This mall is huge, but is mostly clothing and we were hoping for a CVS or other store just to grab some sodas and a bag of chips to bring back to the hotel. There is not one in this mall. So bring everything toiletries wise you need, as you will not find a store to pick up that deoderant you forgot! We took the shuttle over to the mall but walked back, a short 2-3 minute walk across the parking lot. Very safe, saw lots of single women walking.

There is a Ruby Tuesday's and a New Jersey Diner next to the hotel. We were surprised that the Ruby's had a totally different menu than our local Tuesdays ( I was craving mozzerela cheese sticks) and no chicken tender platter. I guess when you are in the city the food is fancier. So we headed over to the Diner, where the food was wonderful, lots of it and wonderful. Huge menu, so you could find anything you want. Breakfast is also served 24hours. Typical burgers, chicken sandwiches, but also steak, fish and pastas. I was stuffed! They do have a website.

The morning of our cruise, we headed down to the front desk about a half hour before we wanted to leave and checked out (easy again) and asked if they would call for transportation to Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Make sure you say the Cruise Port because it gets confused with Port Liberty ( where you catch the ferry to the Statue of Liberty) The "cab" was there within 15 minutes, which was actually a Chevy Escalade, black tinted windows, leather seats and GPS. The trip to the cruise port was about 20 minutes and cost 57.00.

If you do the park and stay, the hotel shuttle does not bring you to the port, the call and pay for a "cab" to bring you, again we had a Escalade.

The hotel does have a medium size pool and a good size hot tub. We did not use.

There is a laundry room with 2 washers and 2 dryers. Soap for sale at the front desk for 2.00. 1.75 to run the washers, same for the dryers.

There is also a free breakfast which is wonderful and anyone who complains about it is silly and should head over to the diner. There are waffles, toast, donuts, bagels, cereal, fruit, OJ, milk and coffee. Probably more. Want something special? Go pay money for it, but for free, what more could you ask for.

We did not travel into NYC, just due to wanting to chill out... but you can either... take the shuttle back to the airport where you can take the train into the city. Somewhere near 20.00 round trip. Or you can take the shuttle over to the mall were you can catch the bus into the city. 4.50 one way but your times are more limited. We decided not to because we had just been to the city last trip.

Hope this answers a lot of the questions, but feel free to ask away!

Amanda,

Thanks so much for your review on Country Inn & Suites - like I posted earlier, we are staying there in July - we are not "city people" so it is comforting to hear from someone who actually stayed there. I also appreciated the tip to say we need a cab to Cape Liberty CRUISE PORT...would hate to end up at the wrong place! It was also helpful to hear about the local restaurants...thanks for taking the time!

Jodi:)

Amanda, I didn't know the location you were writing about from your headline, but just as a member of Cruise Critic I want to thank you for the time you took to compose and post about your recent hotel stay and pier transfer. I'm sure many future cruisers flying into EWR and sailing from Cape Liberty will be thankful as well.

thanks for the review....good to know there is another dining choice! funny, i never realized that RTs had a different menu.....also, seems that "cab fare" went up......ah well. we had a town car (we were at the courtyard...they too, called us a "cab" and it was 40 bucks 2 years ago.

anyway.....nicely done and thanks for sharing !!!

There is a Ruby Tuesday's and a New Jersey Diner next to the hotel. We were surprised that the Ruby's had a totally different menu than our local Tuesdays ( I was craving mozzerela cheese sticks) and no chicken tender platter. I guess when you are in the city the food is fancier. So we headed over to the Diner, where the food was wonderful, lots of it and wonderful. Huge menu, so you could find anything you want. Breakfast is also served 24hours. Typical burgers, chicken sandwiches, but also steak, fish and pastas. I was stuffed! They do have a website.

Great review. I'm interested in the diner that you referred to. I didn't have any luck trying to find a website. Do you know the name of the diner or the web address? Thanks for your help.

Patty

Perfect! We'll be staying at the Courtyard Marriott prior to our Explorer cruise leaving Sunday. Have never sailed out of Bayonne so we're not familiar with the area at all. The diner sounds perfect - again, thanks so much!

How easy was it to catch a cab back to the hotel once your cruise was over?

Hi, I am also interested in the answer to this question. We are staying here in October. I called a cab company that the hotel recommended and they did tell me that I could reserve them by paying in advance and they would be there to pick us up after the cruise. If you don't make prior arrangements are there cabs lined up to take passengers back to hotels, airports, etc.?

Thanks,

I called County Inns yesterday and was told for 10 nights of parking, it would run an additional $30 and for two extra people (children) the transfer would be an additional $45 per person.

Total for the sleep cruise package for 4 people ... $342

Something is wrong there!!

I called County Inns yesterday and was told for 10 nights of parking, it would run an additional $30 and for two extra people (children) the transfer would be an additional $45 per person.

Total for the sleep cruise package for 4 people ... $342

Something is wrong there!!

Why would you think something is wrong???? $120 over and above the "cruise/park" package for two seems like the math adds up. About $150 per night for the park/stay + about $90 for the cruise shuttle=$240 PLUS the two extra people and the extra days parking.

on the Country Inn website there is a special "Sleep and Cruise" package for 2, it inlcudes overnight accomodations in a guest room (not a suite), breakfast, round trip transfer to the cruise terminal, this runs $185 plus tax or $222 "walk out" price including taxes. An additional 8 nights of parking will run $15. The standard rack rate for this property is about $150, so I would argue that $45 per person for the transfer and $15 for the one additional night of parking is out of line.

An alternative is to bid on Priceline at the 2.5* level, you could possibly get the Courtyard or the Residence Inn, and just drive over and pay $15 a day to park at the pier.

on the Country Inn website there is a special "Sleep and Cruise" package for 2, it inlcudes overnight accomodations in a guest room (not a suite), breakfast, round trip transfer to the cruise terminal, this runs $185 plus tax or $222 "walk out" price including taxes. An additional 8 nights of parking will run $15. The standard rack rate for this property is about $150, so I would argue that $45 per person for the transfer and $15 for the one additional night of parking is out of line.

An alternative is to bid on Priceline at the 2.5* level, you could possibly get the Courtyard or the Residence Inn, and just drive over and pay $15 a day to park at the pier.

An additional 8 nights of parking will run $15. The standard rack rate for this property is about $150, so I would argue that $45 per person for the transfer and $15 for the one additional night of parking is out of line.

Why would you think something is wrong???? $120 over and above the "cruise/park" package for two seems like the math adds up. About $150 per night for the park/stay + about $90 for the cruise shuttle=$240 PLUS the two extra people and the extra days parking.

If they call a car service to take you to port, and we can fit in one car it does not make sense to charge $90 for two more people. A car service would charge the same amount whether it was 2 or 4 people in car.

If they call a car service to take you to port, and we can fit in one car it does not make sense to charge $90 for two more people. A car service would charge the same amount whether it was 2 or 4 people in car.

If you book the park/cruise/stay package, the hotel will either use their own shuttle or hire a shuttle, NOT a car service. As the OP stated, the hotel can CALL for a "taxi/car service", but that is not the pricing for the "package" deal. The OP FLEW in, did not book the package.

Why you are not driving your own car to the port? Stay at Country Inn if you want, but drive your own car instead of paying transport to/from the hotel and WAITING for a shuttle. Drop off your luggage, go park the car, and get on the ship. Do the reverse when you return from your cruise. No waiting for a shuttle-just to get out of the parking lot. And no transferring luggage a second time-into the shuttle/out of the shuttle, then into either the hotel or your car at the hotel.

I spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get my employee's taxi fare from the airport reimbursed by Country Inn and Suites last week. Their shuttle was UNAVAILABLE for an airport pickup in the early afternoon. Told my employee it would be another hour or so, AFTER he waited 45 minutes. He could have WALKED in that time. I have now filed a complaint with their corporate office, as the manager is clueless. Told me my employee "should have just waited. We would have been there sooner or later".

I wouldn't stay there and have put the hotel on the "NO STAY" list for my employees. YMMV

The package is for TWO, not four. So the hotel is billing for two ADDITIONAL transfers and extra parking. Even by your example, $120.00 on top of $222 comes out EXACTLY to $342.00, what the poster was quoted. I can't see a problem with the price.

But I agree, drive your car to the pier. SOOOOO much easier.

I have reservations in July to stay here. I am flying into Newark AP so there will be no car to deal with. I am planning on staying an additional day after the cruise to go into NY. Seen this asked multiple times and never answerd. I know I can get a cab to the pier from the motel, no problem, even if I have to call myself. BUT are there cabs lined up when you get off the ship to take you to a destination? No one ever seems to answer this (even on this thread it was asked). I have heard that during the summer cruising season that there are but after the kids go back to school and things calm down more, no.

I have heard that one can get transportation to the AP easily and at that point can call the hotel to pick you up. Others have said that I can just sign up on the ship to let RCCI get me back to the AP.

Are there cabs there for people to hire or is it just better to make arrangements on the ship for a transfer off the pier to the AP?

Sorry, just logging back on as my basement has flooded from all of our snow melting!!! :mad:

To answer some ?'s...

Hotel shuttle.... the park and cruise transportation to the pier is NOT the hotel shuttle. I specifically asked that morning we were leaving for the port to see if we could pay the hotel to go on the shuttle. The park and cruise deal is they provide "vouchers" for transportation to the port. or, as I said earlier, they call you a cab.

Cabs at the pier... We flew out that afternoon so we booked the RCCL Newark transfer. We now wish we hafn't done that as there were so many cabs available that we would've gotten to the airport earlier and paid probably less. So... there are plenty of cabs to take you back to the hotel.

Keep on asking away... again sorry I didn't keep up.... 6 inches of water kept me from the lovely cruise critic website. :D

getting a cab back is easy!

i can't see 45 bucks PP extra for transfer to the pier......they WILL call a cab (and/or car service)....it only cost 40-45 bucks in a town car (which is what the cab company sent!) TOTAL......so someone is misinforming you!!!

despite the issues greatam has, call the hotel, ask for a manager and get better info! or, book a park n fly rate and pay for the pier transfer on your own!

parking is 16 bucks a day, but that is WITH tax (or so i was told by a RCCL employee!)

check www.cruiseliberty.com

Regarding the availability of cabs, thanks to both that answered. Other places I kept reading, better to get a car service, cabs aren't there, etc. I figure it probably would have been worth a try anyway, because 3 of us will have cell phones and we could get out of there eventually even if we have to wait it won't be like it is in the winter when it is cold.

Thanks

I actually found a deal at the Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott for $129 and it includes dinner, soda, and a pay per view movie. I also have a $75 gift certificate, so in the long run it will be a good deal. I am going to park at the port so I will have my car to leave right away.

MEG, I did email the hotel and got the same answer. An extra $45 for each person for the transfer to the port in a taxi. I dont think so. I know you are cruising shortly after me so check Mariott.com for rates. They had one that was $89 with a prepay. I could not do that though because of the gift certificate.

we are cruising in Oct and have a reservation at the Country Inn for pre cruise, it is $125. for the night and then if I want transportation to the pier it is $185. for the two of us. Can I get a cab cheaper or is this a deal. thanks

Archived