Library on Journey or Quest

Jancruz

Hi,

We were on the Feb. 16th Quest. At that time, they were converting a portion of the library over to a portrait studio. I did not see a piano - there was not one at that time. They received a large shipment of books at the beginning of our cruise and had a nice selection as well as current magazines. I hope that helps although it was a while ago.

Off the Journey Wednesday AM. Library was the library. Yes, some folks played bridge in part of it. Some ship activities took place there (Rotary and service club meeting Cruise Critic party). For the most part it was a quiet retreat. Major complaint by my other half was that it was too cold.

Quite a few books, and a lot of use by the passengers. Probably didn't have all the best sellers, or exactly what you might be looking for, but stock included a fair number of books in German and Spanish.

I'm wrong. Someone on our cruise said that the temporary wall was taken down on our last sea day (the day before we docked). Perhaps it wasn't as profitable as they'd hoped. There was certainly a lot of negative feedback about it.

Hello...

We were on the Quest in early February. I truly enjoyed everything about the ship except for the library.

I remember the old R-ship libraries as being well-stocked, quiet, with drapes pulled open for views and being lovely havens to read, enjoy the period furniture and the beautiful painted ceilings. Shelves were well stocked and it was a true library. Furnishings were lovely and lush. On the Quest, the ceiling remains but furnishings have been redone or replaced primarily with faux leather and the atmosphere is just not the same.

On the Quest, have of the room was being used for either card games or 12-step meetings (closed to public during these times for privacy). During the card games, people were enjoying themselves but for any of us trying to read peacefully it was impossible. On the "alternate use" side of the library, shelves were stocked with an odd mix of crystal glasses. My husband and I went to see what the offerings were on the first night on board; there were not more than 150 books on the shelves and many of these were paperbacks and appeared to have been left by previous guests. We had brought many with us and added to the collection. This was not the library of a "luxury ship" and I heard similar feelings voiced by fellow travelers.

I'd like to see the library completely stocked and used as a library only...as intended. Turning 1/2 of it into a picture gallery really does seem ridiculous. At the time we sailed there was no piano. I can't conceive of why anyone would put a piano in a library.

My two cents.

murphysmum;)

We were on the Quest in February when they converted one end of the library to a photo studio. We had two CC meetings, the first one before and the second one after they blocked off the space for the photo studio. It was too bad they used this space for the studio as it ws quite nice before they blocked it off.

We were on the Journey on the last Bermuda cruise in October. As we boarded early we were investigating the different public areas on the ship. There was most definitely a piano in the library at that time, as we wandered in while a fellow was playing. He was very good and I asked him if he was going to be playing in that room later on. He replied that he was just onboard while in port to tune the piano!

Bodger

Hello all readers out there...

My American Heritage Dictionary defines a library as a repository for literary and artistic materials, such as books, records, prints, etc., kept for reading or reference.

No mention is made of grand pianos, photo studios or other uses.

All of the people that I had the pleasure of meeting while on board the Quest were well-educated and quite literate. I'm sure they also know the purpose of a library. I think that Azamara is a little confused?

My two cents!

murphysmum;)

I've been considering using Azamara rather than Oceania (in a generic sense) but the library has always been my favorite space on the "R" ships. And I feel strongly enough about it NOT to book on Azamara if the library isn't at least something like the way I remember it.

If people are paying cards in the library, what happens to the card room? Oceania has it by the internet cafe, and as I recall Ren did so as well. How does Azamara use that space?

Mura,

The space next to the computer room is being used as part of the spa. People are playing cards in the area that you know as the horizons lounge. I don't think this is making the card players happy. However, on our last Oceania cruise, the card players weren't happy either because there were so many people who wanted to play cards that there wasn't enough room for them in the card room.

Someone on our recent cruise told me that the temporary library wall on the Quest has been removed. Perhaps Azamara has listened to the feedback. The library IS something like the way you remember it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently on the Quest (April, 2008), and the library was beautiful. There was no photo studio, I never noticed meetings being held there (except for our CC meeting), and the card players used the starboard side of the Looking Glass lounge for games. The library was peaceful, comfortable, quiet, and fairly well-stocked. Also, you could take books as you pleased - no checkout system and no locks; it was all on the "honor code".

Archived