Things to do in Belize besides an excursion

alfngf

Can we just explore Belize without an excursion?? We're already doing excursions in our three other stops and just can't afford to do another one. We thought maybe we'd just relax in Belize and play around. Is there enough to do without booking an excursion?

Thanks!

. . . so you don't break your neck on the broken and missing sidewalks, you can walk about ten blocks north of the Cruiseship Terminal to the Museum of Belize--admission $5 US per adult--and on the first floor you can see many exhibits of modern Belize, and on the second floor you can see a marvelous exhibit of Mayan artifacts, sculpture and pottery. I'm not sure how many hours I spent there, but I was expecting to return with my DW later so I didn't stay as long as I would have had I realized we would not have an opportunity to return during our stay in January. This prison is where all executions of capital offenders took place in the old days, so one prison cell has been preserved intact, and there is an interesting video available on how to hang people properly, etc. Americans should probably make notes in preparation for the convictions in the war crimes trials to come! :D

Easiest way to get there is to walk up Gabourel Lane, past the abandoned U.S. Embassy. (Don't worry, we've built a new one in the new capital of Belize in Belmopan). The Museum of Belize is housed in the old H.M. Prison, directly behind the Central Bank of Belize. If you are a zealous hiker you can also reach the Museum of Belize by walking down Fort Street to the Baron Bliss Memorial, past the Fort George Lighthouse, past the Radisson Fort George Hotel and Marina, and on up Marine Parade Boulevard past the Taiwanese Embassy until Marine Parade forks, when you take the left fork past the Central Bank onto Gaol Lane. But that route is three or four times longer than the Gabourel Lane route, and Belize City can be very hot on a sunny day. :rolleyes:

Belize is not the same as, for example, Grand Cayman--this is an entire, although small, Central American country, not an island, and it covers quite a few square miles--which is why most people coming here take excursions, and why the excursions are not very cheap--most of the significant places to visit are thirty miles or more from Belize City, and gasoline is already over $5 US per gallon, and the cost of living is highest of any Central American country. But the people here are honest, hard-working, friendly, and deserving; and any of them are happy to interrupt whatever they are doing to tell you about Belize, of which they are very proud. Most of the better schools are operated by various denominations--Anglicans, Roman Catholics and so on--and most of the people of Belize can probably speak better English than you can. Trust me. They also usually speak Spanish, Garifuna and one or more other languages, and some of them can speak one or more Mayan languages.

As of February 8, 2008, a new government is in place, perhaps not so criminally inclined as the last, and there is some hope that the Belizean people can recover some of the money embezzled and stolen from them (and their social security system) during the past ten years by the corrupt PUP government of Said Musa and his cronies and relatives. At this point I would encourage donations to and perhaps even investment in Belize, as Belizeans make good use of every penny, and work very hard to earn it! :D

. . . as, for example, the three Mayan sites (Lamanai, Altun Ha, Xunantunich) usually scheduled for shore excursions in Belize are more significant Mayan sites than, for example, any site on Cozumel or even Tulum in Quintana Roo; the cave tubing excursions available in Belize are available nowhere else in the world, and are enormous fun; and the reef snorkeling and SCUBA and fishing expeditions are as good as any place in the Western Hemisphere, and much safer overall than similar ventures in or around Cozumel, which is generally cursed with strong and unpredictable currents. All of Belize's wealth is in its natural environment and cultural history: and in these it is very rich indeed.

And of course no other country on Earth has Major Tom as a tour guide!

So maybe switching and doing an excursion in Belize is a better idea and not do one in a different port then...

Depends on what your other ports are and what you have scheduled. If you have Cozumel, that's a port you can definitely just walk around in. Belize is beautiful, and the best way to see it is on some sort of excurision. You cna sometimes find guides that are fairly inexpensive, but make sure you get one who is licensed (they wear them around their neck). If you are unsure, ask the port police. They are there to make sure the tourists are safe and want you to go with approved guides. Tourism is a big thing for them, and they're trying to do a much better job than Jamaica (as far as corruption goes).

We are going to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Cozumel and Belize. I have been to Cozumel twice before, once to Scuba and once just shopping. We were going to do the aquatwister there because we did it in Cancun and LOVED it last year. We are diving in Grand Cayman and Roatan. We'd love to dive in Belize but just can't justify the price and the 2hr boat ride. I'd love to do the cave tubing but we are going with another couple and he won't hike and we'd like to do one excursion with them since they aren't divers. So I was thinking we could not do an excursion in Cozumel and just play around there and do something in Belize.

Oh the decisions to make. :p

This is one port where you need to do a tour. Not much around town. This is one of the few places where you can go cavetubing. There are 2 or 3 good ruins tours and if you just want to veg, go to one of the islands. You can book at the tenderdock and do a beach thing for around $30.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm so glad I found this website now. While I'm not a first time cruiser this is my first seven day cruise and all the stops but Cozumel are new to me.

Great Information from everyone, will recheck the excursions in Belize. Thank you!

Archived