We've booked our first cruise. Now what?

dcappa

After weeks of reading reviews and many threads on the boards, we booked our cruise. We will be on the Ruby Princess in January '09!

So, I know we have 9 months....but I want to be sure to book excursions and make plans as early as possible, as not to miss out on anything. :rolleyes:

We do not have passports yet. So that's first on the "to do" list. We are planning to get our dive certifcation as well. So that's next.

The ports we'll visit are:

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Princess Cays

I'm going to start reading up on excursions. But would love some suggestions from those who've been there, on the fun things to do.

We will definitely want to go diving, especially at Grand Cayman. I hear the Dunn's Falls are great in Ocho Rios (or do we want to get off the ship? I read the scary posts about Jamaica...and wonder). I imagine a beach day at the Princess Cays...but what other suggestions might folks have there? As for Cozumel.....I don't know yet. Diving?

What other important "prep" items are important to think about early?

Oh, and I started the diet today! ;)

I've been to the Cayman's ten times - never on a cruise though.

If its your first time, the obvious touristy dive I'd suggest is Stingray City. If that doesn't float your boat, then I'd suggest a two tank dive on the North Wall.

If you want to do something on land and then just do a shore dive - I'd suggest a quick visit to the Turtle Farm and then do a shore dive at Devil's Grotto.

G'luck and have fun.

We do not have passports yet. So that's first on the "to do" list. We are planning to get our dive certifcation as well. So that's next.

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Princess Cays

We will definitely want to go diving, especially at Grand Cayman. I hear the Dunn's Falls are great in Ocho Rios (or do we want to get off the ship? I read the scary posts about Jamaica...and wonder). I imagine a beach day at the Princess Cays...but what other suggestions might folks have there? As for Cozumel.....I don't know yet. Diving?

Jamaica is fine just use caution as with anywhere else.

Dunn's River Falls was a kick - we went on a rum runner excursion where they took us over on a boat, serving rum drinks on the way back.

Cayman, not much help as my wife likes shopping there.

Princess Cays: pretty much a beach stop. We were there last week and we just hung out. They have the normal waverunners, banana boats and some snorkeling. Not sure how the snorkeling was since it was pretty windy and rough when we were there.

My philosophy on excursions is when it looks like it could be boring stop, we can't do on our own - we take an excursion. The lists are pretty endless - just don't make a beginner's mistake and try to do too much - it's easy to OD. Make sure you plan some down time and I enjoy sea days just as much. Have fun.

We seldom do excursions, as we like going to the beach, and most times, that's MORE than doable on your own! (I'm not much on getting off the ship, and then doing a boat trip, so those sort of excursions are out!)

Aside from your passports--there's not that much to do except live on these boards!!!!

Oh--go to the library and check the travel section for a guidebook on the Caribbean--lots of info on your ports, so you'll know what's available at each place, cost of transportation, where food and drink is, restrooms.....you get the picture! The more you know, the better time you'll have!

Just got home from 7 day cruise on Carnival Conquest last night. Had a great time and our excursion in Jamaica was the Zip Line/Canopy tour. Highly recommended!! Michael and Scrappy were our guides and made the experience even more special and unforgettable.

After weeks of reading reviews and many threads on the boards, we booked our cruise. We will be on the Ruby Princess in January '09!

So, I know we have 9 months....but I want to be sure to book excursions and make plans as early as possible, as not to miss out on anything. :rolleyes:

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Princess Cays

I'm going to start reading up on excursions. But would love some suggestions from those who've been there, on the fun things to do.

We went to Jamaica and had no problems. My husband and nephews & niece climb up the falls and had a great time...due to a bad back I couldn't do it but I was able to see them as they went up.

I am currently planning a cruise for Jan and one of our stops is Cozumel and I have been checking out the Ports of Call boards and getting a ton of info.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Tanja

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Princess Cays

We went to Jamaica and had no problems. My husband and nephews & niece climb up the falls and had a great time...due to a bad back I couldn't do it but I was able to see them as they went up.

I am currently planning a cruise for Jan and one of our stops is Cozumel and I have been checking out the Ports of Call boards and getting a ton of info.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Tanja

Definitely do the Dunn's River falls. Lots of fun.

Diving in Cozumel is great. Cayman is also great for diving.

One of the most beautiful places on earth is in Cozumel...underwater. But you won't find it on any of the major dive operations....it's very deep, and they don't normally take people there. Still, the dives you will find in Cozumel are fantastic.

Lots to think about, isn't there?

You won't be required to have passports if you're US citizens, but you have plenty of time to get them, so you should. One hint--don't send off your only copy of your birth certificates with your passport applications. Get extra copies from the state first. I know someone who had an issue with them getting lost and then stuck in the application process and finally had to drive to the state capital the day before the cruise to get another copy so that they could get on their ship! They didn't have as much time as you do, but it's a good idea.

Start a packing list. There are lots of tips on these boards on what you need to bring.

Cozumel is my favorite stop. There is so much to do there, and it's a nice little island. We like to go to the eastern side where it is more remote and unspoiled and gorgeous. We don't dive, but I hear Cozumel is one of the best places to do it because of the coral reef there.

Jamaica isn't a problem as long as you get away from the city as quickly as possible. It's only in the cities that you get constantly harassed to buy this or that.

Grand Cayman is a nice place. Stingray City is great, and it's only snorkeling. I don't think you can dive there. But there are lots of dive operators in and around. Don't feel like you MUST do it through a ship excursion anywhere. Get on the ports of call boards and Google it and you may find a local tour that is better for you.

Princess Cays is a private island stop--pretty much a beach day with lunch included. Lots of laid back fun.

And a diet is always a good idea.;) That way you can lose the extra poundage you will gain on the cruise. Then you'll come out even.:D

Have fun! That's a long time to look forward to a cruise, but it gives you lots of time to plan!

welcome to cruising--your best information will come from those who have been to the ports you are visiting. My personal experience has been that we have always enjoyed the ports best if we hired a guide and got the chance to see a little bit of the area and an overview of the island. On Cayman we took a ships excursion that went to Stingray City, turtle farm, hell and the rum factory. Our 2nd time we went to Rum's point and the toured around with a hired guide. Both were fun and gave us a chance to see the island. In Jamaica we hired Marva Shaw (highly recommended on these boards) and she took us to visit Dunns River Falls, the botanical gardens, out to lunch and shopping. We had a great time!

Please read the threads for each port of call to find out what you will be interested in doing and who the tour guides are that are recommended. These boards are a wealth of information!

Have a great time planning!

Hi dcappa,

You're going to find all sorts of info on these threads, so my tip would be to read a lot here, ask questions, and try your best not to go on the cruise before you go on the cruise.:D Nothing wrong with planning, and I like the dive certification idea. You'll get good info on the scuba and snorkel forum here at cruise critic. Have a great cruise and hope to hear from you on these threads.

Barry

P.S. Good luck on the diet. You'll want to be in shape if you plan on diving so maybe an exercise program for the next 9 months. I'm also sailing in 9 months and have set a few goals for myself which will help the 9 months go by.

We did Ocho Rios on our first cruise. We took a "party boat" excursion to Dunn's River Falls (booked through the cruise line). We had a relaxed boat ride over, time to climb the falls and walk the beach a bit, then a fun ride back with music and $1 Red Stripes.

This was a few years go, but I Imagine a similar excursion is still available.

A fun time and no safety concerns.

You didn't mention airline tickets and a place to stay for at least one night precruise ? If not taken care of those would be next on my do to list.

Never too early to start the packing list. Most people really already have most of what they need for cruising but if you find you do need a few things you've got 9 months to purchase them :D

We love Cozumel. Our favorite is to spend the day at Paradise Beach(easy to get there by Taxi) and then a bit of shopping in town before heading back to the ship.

Everyone has to swim with the stingray in Grand Cayman at least once :)

We really enjoyed Jamaica and its people. Yes, vendors are more aggressive there then some other places but most of them are also very nice with great senses of humor and wonderful to talk to. Dunn's River falls is very pretty.

Two couples we had dinner with on our last cruise dove in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman and loved both.

Enjoy your next months of planning and have a great cruise !

Archived