Don't let RCI cheat you of your fuel supplement refund as OBC!!

While on Voyager last week, when I inquired about my fuel supplement refund as OBC, I was told that my booking made on Oct. 15, 2007 did not qualify as it was a "next cruise" and not considered a reservation! Whoops, not acceptable. I then spoke with the chief purser who said that "Miami" had determined these bookings did not qualify. I told her that there was no such disclaimer in the original press release and that I would not accept this explanation. I further produced a copy of the original press release and pointed out the wording that says "...It will now eliminate the fuel supplement for quests with bookings made but not paid in full before that date." I could see that she agreed that per that language, "Miami" was going to have to give me the refund. She made a copy of the press release, highlighting the wording, and said she would get back with me by the next afternoon. Well, of course, her report back was that my fuel refund would be posted to my account that evening. When I first questioned this, the young man at Guest Raltions advised that another cruiser had the same situation and was denied his OBC. So I know that at least some people are not being refunded properly. Perhaps by my posting the exact wording of the original press release, this will help others obtain their rightful OBC. Hope I don't have to go thru' this all over again when final payment comes due for "next cruises' booked on June 6 and Oct. 14 2007 to get my final payment reduced.

Had the same experience on the Sovereign last week. It is one of the reasons I have not given a review yet. I had such a bad experience with the purser desk, that it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm waiting a week or so, so that I can step back and give a fair review. First night, I went to the purser's desk and they said it would show up on my account in the morning. So night #2 had them print out my account. NO OBC. Went and asked...they said in the morning. Back/forth, back/forth. Finally, I get some girl who says I don't qualify because it was only people who'd paid their cruise in full prior to 11/16. She obviously was not caught up on the latest :(. I asked to speak to someone else. She gets me someone else and they finally tell me that I will get it as a credit on my cc. I called RCI rep when I got home and she said yes....she doesn't know why they did it that way, i should have gotten an OBC because I hadn't sailed yet...but she saw a credit was made to my card. I have yet to check it. Now really...i don't care if it is an OBC or a credit to my CC. But, I've read many of times on these boards that it is really important to settle up any issues on the Sea Pass account. Once you are off the ship...you are out of luck.

So...I dido the OP's message. Good luck getting your OBC...It should be easy, but RCI is really making it a big issue.

My fuel credit had been listed on the website as OBC. After I switched cabins I noticed that the OBC was no longer there. I called RCL and the rep checked and said it was on my account as OBC. Five days later it was on my credit card bill as a credit. I'm wondering if I will also have the OBC when I go on my cruise in 3 weeks.

I just spoke to a C&A rep and she assured me that I will be getting my OBC applied soon, but she advised me to check back about a month before my cruise. Thanks again for the heads up!!

Yeah...I did the same thing. Up till the day before my cruise, I was assured I'd get it as an on board credit. Just as fpcruiser mentioned, mine was listed as a credit on their site up till a week before departure, then it disppeared. I called to see where it went and she assured me it was still listed as an OBC on my account. I got on the ship and no OBC. I need to go and check my online cc statement. Supposedly that is where it wound up.

My fuel credit had been listed on the website as OBC. After I switched cabins I noticed that the OBC was no longer there. I called RCL and the rep checked and said it was on my account as OBC. Five days later it was on my credit card bill as a credit. I'm wondering if I will also have the OBC when I go on my cruise in 3 weeks.

Why should you have it as OBC if you already recieved it as a refund?

In what part of their site should it show up? I haven't seen anything at all to do with money anywhere on their site. I am pretty sure that I qualify for the refund, I booked in July 07 for my May 08 cruise & paid it off in February 08. But, I don't see anything about OBC anywhere in the "My Cruises" part of my reservation... help?

In what part of their site should it show up? I haven't seen anything at all to do with money anywhere on their site. I am pretty sure that I qualify for the refund, I booked in July 07 for my May 08 cruise & paid it off in February 08. But, I don't see anything about OBC anywhere in the "My Cruises" part of my reservation... help?

You go to your cruises...and then payments. When I clicked on that it showed a negative balance for my fuel surchage refund. But then...it disappeared :(.

Hmmmm... I don't seem to have a payments section on my page at all. Maybe it has something to do with me booking through Costco? You think I would need to call Costco to find out? I think I should be getting my docs any day.... maybe it will say something in there?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hello everyone

I am cruising for the first time on the Explorer on 12/12. How do I know If I qualify for a refund (OBC) for the fuel suplement? I read that there was press release with the parameters stated. Is this avalable to the general public?:confused:

Hmmmm... I don't seem to have a payments section on my page at all. Maybe it has something to do with me booking through Costco? You think I would need to call Costco to find out? I think I should be getting my docs any day.... maybe it will say something in there?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi Bellatrix...did you ever set up an account with RCI on their website? You just pick a user name and password...your information and then you can attach a cruise to your account with your booking number etc. Then it will give you the opportunity to view your payments page and some other neat features.

Hello everyone

I am cruising for the first time on the Explorer on 12/12. How do I know If I qualify for a refund (OBC) for the fuel suplement? I read that there was press release with the parameters stated. Is this avalable to the general public?:confused:

Sparkle...if you booked prior to 11/16, when they implemented the fuel charge...then yes you are entitled to a refund of some kind. However, if you haven't made final payment yet...they will probably just adjust your payment due to reflect the credit.

Sparkle, It depends on when you reserved your cruise. If you reserved the cruise prior to the November fuel supplement announcement - it is refundable. If you reserved after that date, it is not.

Your trravel agent or cruise reservation should have your actual dates.

I'd read on here a couple of weeks ago that someone who'd booked their cruise via "Next Cruise" before the deadline got the refund as an OBC, so I wrote to C&A and asked about it. We booked a Next Cruise in October, but didn't transfer it to a real booking until January.

The answer I got back from C&A said "Guests who have booked a Next Cruise prior to November 16, 2007 but did not convert their sailing to a ship and sail date until after the November date will be charged the fuel supplement at the time of the booking conversion. We apologize for any disappointment this answer may cause."

OP: are you saying that these were also your circumstances, but they gave you the credit anyway?

Had the same experience on the Sovereign last week. It is one of the reasons I have not given a review yet. I had such a bad experience with the purser desk, that it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm waiting a week or so, so that I can step back and give a fair review. First night, I went to the purser's desk and they said it would show up on my account in the morning. So night #2 had them print out my account. NO OBC. Went and asked...they said in the morning. Back/forth, back/forth. Finally, I get some girl who says I don't qualify because it was only people who'd paid their cruise in full prior to 11/16. She obviously was not caught up on the latest :(. I asked to speak to someone else. She gets me someone else and they finally tell me that I will get it as a credit on my cc. I called RCI rep when I got home and she said yes....she doesn't know why they did it that way, i should have gotten an OBC because I hadn't sailed yet...but she saw a credit was made to my card. I have yet to check it. Now really...i don't care if it is an OBC or a credit to my CC. But, I've read many of times on these boards that it is really important to settle up any issues on the Sea Pass account. Once you are off the ship...you are out of luck.

So...I dido the OP's message. Good luck getting your OBC...It should be easy, but RCI is really making it a big issue.

We were on the same sailing as you on SOS..I had 2 cabins..a double and a single..we received our OBc of $60 no problems..I went to the desk Thursday am and asked for a copy of my bill and I had the fuel OBC and the OBC for the 2 rooms for booking while we were on another cruise.

Funny some reservations have no problems while others see m to go astray! Gotta wonder who's in charge huh???

Did you see the LONG line trying to settle up accounts on Friday Am? YIKES! I can't figure out if RCI lets people charge stuff when they are using cash more than what they have put on the account or what..you'd think once you reach the amount you've put down they would not let you charge anymore!

The people in front of us in line had an outstanding balance and when they put their sea passes into to get off the ship a red light came on and they were not allowed to leave..had to go stand in that long line at guest services!

when I click on my cruises. I only see the headers: Itineraries, Profile and Messages. I don't see anything on that page that says "payments". Does it make a difference that I went through a TA (who by the way didn't even really know what is going on with this refund) but since this was my first cruise I went with a TA (lesson learned).

Please give more info so I can tell if my June cruise on the Mariner will have a OB. Thanks

when I click on my cruises. I only see the headers: Itineraries, Profile and Messages. I don't see anything on that page that says "payments". Does it make a difference that I went through a TA (who by the way didn't even really know what is going on with this refund) but since this was my first cruise I went with a TA (lesson learned).

Please give more info so I can tell if my June cruise on the Mariner will have a OB. Thanks

Out of my 4 cruises I have booked,one does not show a payment tab either....hasnt since I first booked........have no idea why.......

and I dont see anywhere on my upcoming cruise reservation anything about OBC(or fuel surcharge credit)

I just finished a cruise on Adventure (sailed 4/6/08, absoutely fantastic cruise, food at dinner was so-so at best, but that's a different story). . . I was under the impression that I would get an OBC, but none showed up. I spoke with the Purser, she ran my RCCL credit card and found out that the surcharge was credited back to my credit card in mid-March (she printed out where it had been credited and gave me a copy).

In the end it doesn't matter, but now I am down 140 points! Clearly another evil scheme by RCCL to deny me my credit card points! But I got even, I booked a NextCruise for Mariner next May. That'll teach them to screw around with me!

Jerry

Sparkle...if you booked prior to 11/16, when they implemented the fuel charge...then yes you are entitled to a refund of some kind. However, if you haven't made final payment yet...they will probably just adjust your payment due to reflect the credit.

That is the way it should work. However, I made my final payment online a few days ago The agency I use usually send a confirmation almost immediately. Still hadn't received it today so went online to check & it showed I owed $70 on each reservation! Of course, I knew this was the fuel surcharge amount so I called my guy & he was totally confused. However, when he called RCCL they show me as paid in full. The problem was between RCCL's computers & my agency's. But, if I hadn't pointed it out to him, their records would show me owing money. So, if you have yet to make your final payment, make sure that charge doesn't get added on. It is much easier to not have to pay it at all than to deal with a refund or OBC.

My fully paid May cruise showed a credit for the prepaid - then all references to the surcharge disappeared, leaving me with only the credit we had from a coupon.

My not fully paid November cruise is still showing a fuel surcharge. I asked an RC customer service person about it while changing cabins (probably be a few more changes after our May cruise on the same ship :D ) and he said they were doing the earliest cruises first. So I can only suggest - keep watching. Also - because it gets very confusing (at least to me) print a copy of your payment sheet before and after each change.

Now - look down on the page and under Purchased & held cruises you should see a reservation number. Click on it. That will bring you to the page with all of the details of your cruise.

Hope this helps.

Archived