So......How many dresses?

purple myra

Supposing I have 4 formal nights and 4 or 5 informal nights, how many dresses do you take on average? I don't want to feel awkward turning up every other night in the same attire, but I can't imagine how I would be able to carry enough luggage otherwise

For our upcoming 19 day cruise (3 formal nights) I'm packing 3 thin long dresses with 2 dressy sweaters for the chilly dining room. For the other nights it's 2 dance skirts and 2 pairs of white pants mixed and matched with 6 different tops. It's packed and takes up half of our ONE large suitcase (+ 2 smallish duffels). DH gets the other half for his stuff. Why only one large suitcase? We're driving to L.A., in one SUV with two other couples, i.e. 6 of us, and that's all we can fit in, 3 large suitcases and 6 duffel bags. We know it can be done! We went on a Tahiti cruise once with carry-ons only and had enough to wear! :D

I pack 1 outfit for every evening. (I don't repeat, and I don't "mix and match") I bring shorts for daytime--not as many as for each day--they can be reworn several times, as I only have them on for breakfast, then it's into a bathing suit!

How many depend on how many port days, and what excursions we'll be doing!

I agree with the previous poster. I like to take dresses that dont wrinkle. I just dont mind wearing the same pair of white pants twice, I just like different looking outfits. It seems at home I am in workout clothes so much it is fun. :)

On a long cruise, I would probably bring three, four dresses (fabric that don't take up too much room) and would opt for mix-and-match options for the remaining nights such as long skirt, flowy pants matched with silk shirt, sparkling tops or any other type of evening wear.

While I generally do not repeat dresses, I will always pack a pair or two of nice slacks for evenings with a variety of tops and accessories, esp. for longer trips.

Fabric makes all the difference and I am a big fan of matte jersey and silk chiffon for dinner attire while traveling.

I wear floor length formal gowns for all formal nights and cocktail dresses for every other night for dinner. I just find it easier just to throw on a dress every night instead of trying to coordinate outfits (pants and tops, etc.). Besides, I love dressing up. :)

Yippee.....looks like all you lovely ladies have just given me an excuse to shop shop shop!

"wheretonext" thank you so much for the link, the blog is fascinating, not just the dresses OMG! but the transit through the Panama Canal and the dolphin swim, both things we are hoping to do.

Yippee.....looks like all you lovely ladies have just given me an excuse to shop shop shop!

"wheretonext" thank you so much for the link, the blog is fascinating, not just the dresses OMG! but the transit through the Panama Canal and the dolphin swim, both things we are hoping to do.

Veronica did not actually take 80 dresses but had her wardrobe sorted out so that with combining tops, shawls, etc. she had 80 days of formal and semi-formal. Some of my friends were on the last leg of the world cruise on the QE2 from LA-NYC and met her. Since you enjoyed that blog, you might want to check out this one for a single woman on the world cruise for the Queen Victoria. http://karen123.wordpress.com/ Karen's blog is terrific also.

Archived