Back from the Valor....questions???

MamaTene

Great cruise...great ship.....

Last time I cruised Carnival was almost 18 years ago....Been on over 16 cruises total and must say I am impressed with Carnival!

Feel free to ask questions and will do my best to provide answers. Hope to complete a review soon.

What other lines have you been on? How was your experience vs. your preconcieved ideas about Carnival from these boards? Just curious. I've sailed three (NCL,RCCL and Carnival) and see mostly similarities, few differences.

We're on the Valor Eastern in August.

Did you happen to find/go to the "secret door" area on the Valor to the secluded overlook area"? I was wondering if this was a good spot ot be when leaving port maybe sipping something frozen and fruity!

What did you think about the food? What were your favorites? Any drink favorites? Did you do the afternoon tea? Did u have sushi? So many questions! LOL:p

I have heard of secret doors on ships that go to decks that people don't really know about. Is there a door on the Valor? And where is it? We are sailing on her next April. Is this a restricted area for employees only? Just wondering if you went out there if there would be consequences.

I do have questions:

Is there an adult section or pool area? I have heard that Carnival is making adult only areas. Is this true?

How is the Seaside theatre and do they show movies at night?

Which cruise did you do, eastern or western?

How was the food?

Any recommendations?

Looking forward to my 5th cruise 4th being with Carnival.....

Having sailed all the major lines (RCCL, Princess, Holland America and Norwegian) I THOUGHT the service would be inferior as would the food. I was PLEASANTLY surprised and happy to say I was TOTALLY wrong. The staff on board go all out for their customers and make you feel so welcome.

Did the secret door first day and for sure that is place to be for sail away..great views!

The food was quite good for the most part and variety of selections differed from the standard cruise fare. They had GREAT pasta dishes and the Prime Rib was actually served RARE and thick as I requested. Stuffed mushrooms were excellent as was the fried mozzeralla. One thing I didnt care for is their Ceasar salad as the dressing just wasnt to my taste.

Do eat in the dining rooms for breakfast and lunch when possible...selections are quite vast and food is HOT HOT. Also be sure to partake of the Fish and Chips for lunch one day on Deck 10....VERY good.

Secret doors are all the way forward on decks with balcony's with the exception of deck 6 I believe. Go all the way to the front past the last rooms and you will see doors that lead to the outside. Few people realize the area even exists so not usually crowded at all.

Yes there is an adults only area ...lido deck aft with a pool and Prometheus Bar ...pizza also located there. They were enforcing the no kids in that pool last week. Another adults only area is located across from the minature golf. Use the steps that are WITHIN the basketball/volleyball area to access. You will see the sign at the bottom of the stairs that says adults only. Be warned....gets VERY HOT up there in more ways than one! :)

We did the Eastern route and REALLY enjoyed it..loved the 3 sea days most though!

Seaside theatre was so great...loved watching the movies out their in the evening. Very quiet and tranquil.

Having sailed all the major lines (RCCL, Princess, Holland America and Norwegian) I THOUGHT the service would be inferior as would the food. I was PLEASANTLY surprised and happy to say I was TOTALLY wrong. The staff on board go all out for their customers and make you feel so welcome.

I've had the same experience. When I choose a cruise now, I choose it on itinerary and price and Carnival always seems to be a great all around choice.

Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, License to Wed and one other that for the life of me I cant recall name of.

Did they show each movie once per night or more than once to accomodate both dinner seatings?

When I was on her in February, the movies were shown at one time....always seemed to be right in the middle of everything else!! I walked outside once and there were lots of people watching Harry Potter.

In regards to secret doors. On my first Valor cruise in 06, we were upgraded to an oceanview at deck 6 forward. Little did we know...right outside our cabin window was the best kept secret on the valor. It was like walking 10 feet to our own private-very large balcony. Hardly anyone out there at all...except us. It runs from Port to Starboard...very nice.

While in dry dock, balconies added to the cabins on Deck 11...replaced the large windows that use to be in those cabins, added the big screen for outdoor movies, added the new Club 02 for the 12-14 year olds.

Dance clubs and music were really good just about everywhere. Great variety of music from rock to country to 50-60's to current.

When I was on her in February, the movies were shown at one time....always seemed to be right in the middle of everything else!! I walked outside once and there were lots of people watching Harry Potter.

LOL, we were on this cruise and yes, we were watching Harry Potter. It was also the night of the lunar eclipse, which attracted a lot of folks to go on deck. DH, who is a mod on a Harry Potter board, had to take a picture of us watching both HP and the lunar eclipse to post on his board!

CD is Chris Jefferson. He's a very capable and funny guy. Be sure to see the welcome show. I've put up a couple of pictures of Chris (in the second one he's Dolly Parton in the Legends show). There's an interview with him on John Heald's blog.

Seaside theatre: they show each movie several times during the cruise. It was very nice to be on the deck at night, relaxing and watching the movies.

chris_jefferson1.jpg.e7d66b8e26bbb926c5652093fdda9694.jpg

chris_jefferson2.jpg.bbf931fd7dcc32402b8998244c637247.jpg

did you guys do the afternoon tea? (my daughter really wants to try that) How about the sushi before dinner?

We never noticed afternoon tea, but sushi starts at 5:00pm and was our favorite way to end the day. Nothing better then the sushi and a cocktail and great conversation on how the day was.

We had the afternoon tea twice. It's served in Winston's around 15:30 (that's 3:30 PM) on the sea days. There's all sorts of sweet and savory delights like scones, strawberries & cream, chocolate biscuits, lemon cake, salmon on toast and cucumber sandwiches. Oh yeah, there's tea as well... ;)

tea_time.jpg.18d6e412721d1f7662d865fd73c7477c.jpg

We had the afternoon tea twice. It's served in Winston's around 15:30 (that's 3:30 PM) on the sea days. There's all sorts of sweet and savory delights like scones, strawberries & cream, chocolate biscuits, lemon cake, salmon on toast and cucumber sandwiches. Oh yeah, there's tea as well... ;)

Yum. Thank you.

Archived