Taxi from San Juan Airport to port...

abpmillsww

I believe that I have seen a link to a website that gives information on set taxi prices in San Juan.

Do you know this link?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Angela

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/2008/01/16/getting-around-by-taxi/

To get around the metro area, your best bet is to take a taxi. You can hail a taxi in the street, or you can call one to come pick you up. Taxis are generally available at the airport, hotels, and major tourist attractions.

For trips anywhere in San Juan, except to/from the SJU International Airport and the tourism piers in Old San Juan, you will pay the rate indicated on the meter. Within the "tourist zones", taxi rates are fixed and posted. A tip of 10-15% is customary, and there are additional charges for luggage.

The metropolitan tourist area is divided into the following taxi zones:

Zone 1 Luis Munoz Marin (SJU) Airport

Zone 2 Hotels in the Isla Verde Area

Zone 3 Hotels in the Condado and Miramar Areas

Zone 4 Hotels & Piers in Old San Juan, Puerta de Tierra & Miramar

Zone 5 PanAmerican Pier, Convention Center & the Luis Rivas Dominichi Airport in Isla Grande

The rates between the various Zones are as follows:

From the Luiz Munoz Marin (SJU) Airport (Zone 1)

• to Zone 2 - $10.00
  • to Zone 3 - $15.00
  • to Zone 4 - $19.00
  • to Zone 5 - $15.00
  • to Plaza las Americas - $18.00
  • to Plaza Carolina - $14.00
  • to Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot - $14.00

From the Piers & Terminals in Old San Juan, Puerto de Tierra, & Miramar (Zone 4)

• to Zone 1 - $19.00
  • to Zone 2 - $19.00
  • to Zone 3 - $12.00
  • to Zone 4 - $10.00
  • to Zone 5 - $9.00
  • to Plaza las Americas - $14.00
  • to Plaza Carolina - $24.00
  • to Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot - $14.00

From the PanAmerian Pier, Convention Center, & Isla Grande Airport (Zone 5)

• to Zone 1 - $15.00
  • to Zone 2 - $15.00
  • to Zone 3 - $9.00
  • to Zone 4 - $10.00
  • to Plaza las Americas - $12.00
  • to Plaza Carolina - $22.00
  • to Coliseo Jose Miguel Agrelot - $12.00

Extra Charges

• The first 3 suitcases are 50¢ each
  • Additional luggage is $1 each
  • The fares above include up to 5 passengers. If there are more than 5 passengers, there is a $2 per person charge
  • From 10:00pm until 6:00am there is an additional charge of $1 per trip

Metered Rates Outside of Tourism Zones

• $1.75 - Initial Charge
  • 10¢ - Charge for fraction of mile (1/19 mile)
  • 10¢ - Waiting Time (Every 25 seconds)
  • 50¢ - Charge for the first 3 pieces of luggage (each)
  • $1.00 - Charge for the fourth piece of luggage and thereafter (each)
  • $1.00 - Call charge
  • $36.00 - Hourly Rent Charge
  • $1.00 - Night Rate (10:00 pm to 6:00 am)
  • $3.00 - Minimum Charge per trip
  • $2.00 - Surcharge fee for the sixth and seventh passenger in vehicle

• 3 years later...

I have to drop my rental car by noon at airport and then catch a taxi to Port for RCCL boarding at 2pm. If I get there early, would I be able to drop my luggage with the RCCL staff at the port? Also, is there anything to do inside the port terminal? if not, Are there any quick tours I can take while I wait to board? Can anyone recommend things to do nearby, even going to a nice restaurant for a leisure lunch since we have plenty of time.

Would a taxi be ok? how much would that cost?

Also, what is the crowd like for cruises coming out of SJU...older, younger, polite or rude? i am getting worried reading experiences from these threads.

Boarding begins between 11:30am and 12pm, and they will take bags before that.

If you want to do any tours, you should do them before heading to the pier as the pier RCCL uses is 15-20 minutes away from Old San Juan.

• 4 years later...

OhioJeff has posted the best link that I found for taxi fares but be sure to use the link as it is most current. There are some recent changes that are missing from the additional text provided such as the $2 fuel surcharge for all zones and the $1 surcharge for taxis originating from the airport. Rates provided are up to 5 people. Additional charge for passengers 6 and 7.

For fares from the airport to hotel or pier you will get in the line outside at the taxi stand and tell the dispatch person where you need to go. They will calculate your fare including your baggage/surcharges and hand you a slip of paper with your rate. That is what you will be charged. Additional expense would be gratuity for the driver. Same for the taxi from the pier to the airport at the end of your cruise.

Where it becomes fuzzier is cab fare from the hotel to the pier or other tourism areas as those I believe are metered. The fare still came in within a few dollars of the zone to zone rates.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SeasideMemories

We have sailed out of San Juan three times. It is one of our favorite places, as we love to spend time there pre-cruise and we like the southern Caribbean ports. We find our fellow passengers to be a nice mixture of young, old, families, couples. One cruise was very special because there was a group of families celebrating their daughters' quinceaneara, or 15th birthday which is like a coming out party. It was really fun to see the multigenerational groups on their formal wear and the young ladies (maybe 10 to 15 altogether) celebrating their coming of age.

I would say that everyone was polite and respectful. The only tome I felt crowded was at sail away. I have heard other's complain about their cruises out of San Juan, but it was nothing compared to New York! And I have nothing against New Yorkers, it is just that they tend to be loud. I feel I can say that as I grew up in NY and have cruised out of Cape Liberty three times.

OhioJeff has posted the best link that I found for taxi fares but be sure to use the link as it is most current. There are some recent changes that are missing from the additional text provided such as the $2 fuel surcharge for all zones and the $1 surcharge for taxis originating from the airport. Rates provided are up to 5 people. Additional charge for passengers 6 and 7.

For fares from the airport to hotel or pier you will get in the line outside at the taxi stand and tell the dispatch person where you need to go. They will calculate your fare including your baggage/surcharges and hand you a slip of paper with your rate. That is what you will be charged. Additional expense would be gratuity for the driver. Same for the taxi from the pier to the airport at the end of your cruise.

Where it becomes fuzzier is cab fare from the hotel to the pier or other tourism areas as those I believe are metered. The fare still came in within a few dollars of the zone to zone rates.

Hope this helps.

Nice post to revive with some good info. You do realize it's almost 5 years old?:D:)