Fantasy or Ecstasy

sunluva7

I'm looking at a 5-day Western Caribbean cruise June 2009, out of Galveston or New Orleans. Both (the Fantasy and the Ecstasy) have nearly identical itineraries, same dates, but the cruise out of New Orleans starts $50 less than that of Galveston. I'd appreciate some help in deciding which cruise to pick.

What are your experiences with flights to either Houston or New Orleans?

Is one ship better than the other? I sailed on the Imagination before so I am familiar with the class.

Is one cruise port better than the other?

Thanks for your help.

I'm looking at a 5-day Western Caribbean cruise June 2009, out of Galveston or New Orleans. Both (the Fantasy and the Ecstasy) have nearly identical itineraries, same dates, but the cruise out of New Orleans starts $50 less than that of Galveston. I'd appreciate some help in deciding which cruise to pick.

What are your experiences with flights to either Houston or New Orleans?

Is one ship better than the other? I sailed on the Imagination before so I am familiar with the class.

Is one cruise port better than the other?

Thanks for your help.

I've been on both ships and just got off the Fantasy two days ago. Although the Ecstasy has been more recently refurbished, I'd pick the Fantasy as the airport is closer to the pier. Both airports in Houston are farther away from Galveston, especially IAH. Be sure to book an early am flight as my flight from Houston was three hours late leaving last Thursday and I didn't arrive at the pier until 3:25 pm and was one of the last passengers to board. If I had been flying into Houston and that happened, I would have missed the ship.

I have plans to do the Fantasy late 2009 because I want to stay in the French Quarter.

That being said hotels and car parking in Galveston, everything there is much cheaper. I can park at EZCruise for $30 usually for 5 days, at New Orleans its $12 or $14 a day. Plus hotels are a lot more in New Orleans and I would be going in the night before. Galveston is quieter and a safer place, but some like the hustle and bustle of the larger town. Galveston has a beach if you spend the weekend there, New Orleans has bars and gambling and more of a drinking town.

I agree they are charging us more for both the Conquest and Ecstasy out of Galveston, supply and demand. For folks who can drive, there is a lot to be said for driving to Galveston instead of New Orleans is why the cost is cheaper for the Fantasy. I like Galveston because its so easy to get around, Im not intimadated.

The other poster is right, if you are flying in, the airport for New Orleans would be more convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help.

Fantasy will have the Evolutions of Fun updates before June 2009 (getting them sometime this fall) - don't know if Ecstasy will by then.

Archived