Tipping suggested vs actual

rogerdm

That wasabi pea thing is from the my favorite martini bartender thread. Someone said they told the barender they really liked oriental mix and did they have any. Next night it was there. Bartender asked what he liked best about it, he said the wasabi peas. Next night he had a bowl with just wasabi peas. The bartender had picked them out by hand. Made that person the 'favorite martini bartender'. Personally, I thought maybe the bartender just wanted to see flames shooting in that flush unit in his cabin! LOL! Those things are hot!

Get my drift? Just making a funny!

I don't think I've ever called for anything at 2AM. If I'm hungry there's usually a fruit bowl, nuts or the nightly candy. Don't think I'm quite high maintenance enough to have someone making pizza at that time of night.

Without at all wishing to flame or inflame I'd like to pass on something my father told me. He was not the font of all wisdom, but he did know a lot more than me!

If you have the need to flash money and to talk about how rich you are, what you can afford, how you get your way by paying money etc, you diminish yourself. You become boring and self absorbed. The truly "rich", in the widest sense of the word, don't need to flash or tell others.

I think this has something to do with tipping and particularly "pre-tipping" where it is designed to get special attention for yourself and thus, as a consequence diminish, the service someone else gets who does not pre-pay as much.

I will say that reading Don's posts has been fairly entertaining! :)

And I will also say that whether it is "good" or "bad" to desire/require such high maintenance, I give him kudos for realizing it, admitting it, and amply rewarding those who help make it happen. Imagine such a high maintenance customer who expected all that extra attention as just "part of the job" with no extra attention back to the staff assigned to them!

Theron

I try not to get involved with these controversial topics, but I must say, I never tip anyone, it's very cruel, they might fall over and hurt themselves, you people are just mean, mean, mean, mean!

Donald, I sure don't remember telling you or any one else how much I tip or don't tip.

I may very well tip over the recomendations of the cruise lines, however i don't have the need for my ego to give specific amounts on this public forum. and i sure as hell do not expect to recieve special treatment on my next cruise by over tipping (and niether should you)

but hey, you are still my pal:D

phil

I have one more thing to say, and this is very important, I before E, except after C!

Hope this helps!

(I'm sorry Phil, it was the Heinekens, they haunt me, they made me do it, I hate them!)

Newt, I thought you used to tip cows and the Mrs. Newt? The electro-shock seems to be working ;).

I'm laughing too hard to reply, we gave up on electro-shock a long time ago, we're into drug therapy now, I drug the wifester, and get what I paid for, it seems to be working out well!

Phil, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to point that out, the wifester pointed it out for me, since I dropped out of school in the 3rd grade, and then went to work, walking through 2 foot of snow for 5 miles each way...........dam, I'm my parents!

I wish they would just add the tips onto the cruise account or better yet - increase the cruise fare and be done with it. The envelope thing is so "rich guy condescending to the peons." It makes me extremely uncomfortable. :o

I would be much happier if all tipping would just disappear. Pay a living wage - charge an amount commensurate and be done with it. :p

But you are right, there is something about treating people as servants because " I have money and you don't" that realy rankles me.

Phil

It's disappointing that so few here feel this way. I much prefer the Xpedition policy of including tips in the cruise fare. That way the ship's staff behaves like professionals, trained to provide fine service because that's their responsibility, not to bow-and-scrape in front of passengers in order to get bigger tips. How distasteful.

But I suppose building tips into the fare would take away some of the feeling of superiority among those who hand out a large bill upon first encountering their waiter or steward and saying, in effect: "This is for you, and there's more where that came from if you take good care of me." Or, worse, it might take away the opportunity to come to this board to boast about how wonderfully generous they are with their tips. And just how boorish is that?

Given that a significant percent of pax are retired - many living on dividends and other fixed income, and a growing portion of cruiser are fairly young...

When it comes to who's higher on the "food chain"...

I wonder what percent of those being served at dinner earn less than their servers...?

Given that a significant percent of pax are retired - many living on dividends and other fixed income, and a growing portion of cruiser are fairly young...

When it comes to who's higher on the "food chain"...

I wonder what percent of those being served at dinner earn less than their servers...?

You may be right --

And I may just be one of them.

I cast my vote for adding tips cruise fare, pay a decent wage and be done with it. My son, who has been in the restaurant business his entire career, says I am out of my mind.

Oh well.

love

joan

In the US, it is generally accepted that 10 to 15 percent of the bill -- for a meal, for a night's stay, a cab ride, whatever -- is about right. Most look toward the 15 percent figure, which in Oklahoma we arrive at by doubling the sales tax! (No calculations, that way)

So, it should be easy enough to figure total tips for a cruise -- about 15 percent of your per diem rate, plus anything else you feel rewarding for good service. Divvy it up how you will.

Those in the high rent staterooms, who expect and get high maintenance service, naturally will tip a lot better than those down deep in the ship's insides.

Some folks scrimp and save all year just to cruise, and should not be made to feel like cheapskates if they tip only the minimum. (But since the minimum legitimately is a cost of cruising, everyone should at least pay that, or take a cheaper cruise.)

love

joan

Joan...

When you think about it... A cruise line head waiter should be making over $45G and an assistant $35G... If they are young (most are) and avoid the monetary coils of marital bonds, with room and board covered for 9 months that's not bad scratch. Plenty of urban yuppies and other cruise pax are doing worse than that esp. after rent, food, car expense, ect. are cut out of the pie.

Without at all wishing to flame or inflame I'd like to pass on something my father told me. He was not the font of all wisdom, but he did know a lot more than me!

If you have the need to flash money and to talk about how rich you are, what you can afford, how you get your way by paying money etc, you diminish yourself. You become boring and self absorbed. The truly "rich", in the widest sense of the word, don't need to flash or tell others.

I think this has something to do with tipping and particularly "pre-tipping" where it is designed to get special attention for yourself and thus, as a consequence diminish, the service someone else gets who does not pre-pay as much.

I don't need to say more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruising with marti

Donald, I sure don't remember telling you or any one else how much I tip or don't tip.

I may very well tip over the recomendations of the cruise lines, however i don't have the need for my ego to give specific amounts on this public forum. and i sure as hell do not expect to recieve special treatment on my next cruise by over tipping (and niether should you)

but hey, you are still my pal:D

phil

I have one more thing to say, and this is very important, I before E, except after C!

Hope this helps!

Then how do you explain "niether" :confused: :confused: :D :D

Your father is genuinely a man of class.

Also, I truly believe with "cruisin marti" - high maintenance=self-absorbed!

Your father is genuinely a man of class.

Also, I truly believe with "cruisin marti" - high maintenance=self-absorbed!

Makes four of us in agreement on this one. Thanks, turtlemichael, for saying it succinctly and yet so well.

Archived