How rough are the seas on early Oct?

We are thinking of going on a cruise on either Liberty or Freedom in early Oct. How rough are the seas then? I'm afraid of getting seasick. We have only been on Disney in May and didn't have a problem at all. Also, which is better weather then - a Western or Eastern carribean?

We have cruised a couple of times in the beginning of October, once being on the Freedom and have had no problems with rough water that I could tell. It was really windy one night and the only way we could tell was because we were trying to play basketball.

Happy cruising!

I was on the Liberty the first week of October last year. It was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to, but it was definately windy at night on the top deck! I remember feeling the ship move and it bothered me, but I took some Dramamine and was fine. I would bring some just in case. It seemed to bother me and my mother a whole a lot more than the other people in our group, so I don't really think the seas were rough, but we are just sensitive to the movement.

We did Eastern Caribbean and had great weather all week. Rained just a little one night but that was it!

So if there is a hurricane does the ship still sail but go to different ports? I've heard that certain ports the ship cannot stop when the seas are rough? Are these usually the ports that the ship has to tender rather than dock?

So if there is a hurricane does the ship still sail but go to different ports? I've heard that certain ports the ship cannot stop when the seas are rough? Are these usually the ports that the ship has to tender rather than dock?

If at all possible the ship will sail (of course if the hurriance is right at or near the port the ship sets sail from, it might not be possible). The captain will alter the itinerary as necessary to keep everyone safe, but it may still be choppy sailing. Sometimes ports are missed - at times this leads to extra sea days, sometimes a new port can be substituted, sometimes hours at another port can be extended. I think you are correct that ports the ship has to tender to are more likely to be cancelled.

The calmest seas we've ever experienced were in late September. We were on our way back to Galveston from Cozumel and there were literally NO waves in the Gulf. I've never seen the seas totally flat, but the Gulf looked like glass. The worst seas we've experienced were January through March because you have cold fronts come through with some pretty strong winds. Of course, if a hurricane or tropical storm comes along it can kick some waves up too! We live on the Texas Gulf Coast so we keep an eye out during hurricane season which is June 1st through November 30th, with peak months of August and September. ;)

We cruise every October, ranging anywhere from early to mid October. We always have great seas, except for 2005 when we had a hurricane, but the seas were still great. We had no problems except that the hurricane made us divert to different ports. But seas in early october are great. In fact, we are taking a cruise this october 4. Last year it was the 7-14, and the seas were perfect for us every single day.

• 2 months later...

They have meclazine (Bonine) on the ship and it is great. Keep food in your stomach. Solid food - baked potato, saltine crackers, drink tea, eat bananas then lie down and soon you will feel better.

Seas can be choppy anytime. The only time I think hurricane season comes into play is if there is in fact a hurricane out there. I would have np problem sailing in Oct. I am doing 2 cruises in Sept. and that is also hurricane season!!

Good luck and happy sailing!

I am going on EOS on July 26th...and I know that is during hurricane season. Will it be hard to sleep at night or will I feel sea sick do you think?

The first cruise I went on, we left during a thunderstorm and it was a bit rough. It was still stormy after the show that night, and I was feeling a little queazy so I decided to go to bed. I, too was worried about getting seasick, but I had the best nights sleep that I had had in a long time. I guess the rocking of the ship was just like being in a cradle. On another cruise we were skirting a hurricane and had 27 ft. seas. Still slept very good. My wife was sick one day, but she took Bonine, and she did fine from then on. You can get it at Walmart.

I am going on EOS on July 26th...and I know that is during hurricane season. Will it be hard to sleep at night or will I feel sea sick do you think?

Nobody can answer this question because we have no idea what the weather will be that week. It could be clear as glass, or you could be on the edge of a Tropical Storm. Who knows? Nobody.

As to sleeping, many people who get seasick actually sleep well in rough water. Walking around is another story. But again, no idea what your situation is as some people never ever get motion sickness, and others get sick backing out of the driveway.

What is the name of the best sea sickness medicine?

There is no overall best, or everyone would use it. Some people do well with patches. Some with regular motion pills, some with the the newer non drowsy versions. Some swear by Ginger. Others use wrist bands, of which there are multiple types.

I have been using the Dramamine II - less drowsy. Take it each night. No problems. These are all available at most drugstores, and in generic brand as well.

We are thinking of going on a cruise on either Liberty or Freedom in early Oct. How rough are the seas then? I'm afraid of getting seasick. We have only been on Disney in May and didn't have a problem at all. Also, which is better weather then - a Western or Eastern carribean?

If you're cruising on the Eastern itinerary, towards San Juan, it can be "rocky" until you get out of the Florida Straits. Also, as others have said, it depends if there is a hurricane or not. I am extremely vulnerable to sea/motion sickness but have found if I take a Bonine (not Dramamine as this can make you sleepy) I don't have any problems at all. The other hint is that if you are dining and the ship is rocking, don't face the window. It's the actual visual of the rocking that can make you seasick, not always the "motion". I have also done the "patches" but did not like the side-effects, i.e. sleepiness, dry mouth etc. I even accidently touched the patch, then touched my contact lens when putting them in my eyes and my eyes were dilated for 12 hrs!! I HIGHLY recommend Bonine..no side effects..works great! And on past cruises we've experienced the rocking, the high wavews, etc..no problem for me. ;)

As a Florida native, I can concur that October can be a crap shoot as far as weather. I took a cruise over Thanksgiving in 2005 and hit the tail of a late season tropical storm. The ship diverted to another route and we skipped a port due to unfavorable tendering conditions. The one night and next morning at sea were very rough and we had a forward cabin, which magnified the rolling motion.

If your cabin is more toward the center of the ship, all the better. Take Bonine along with you or get something from the ship's infirmary. I have learned a very good lesson after years of cruising: if the ship's crew is taking seasick meds, then I should be doing it too!

Hopefully this will be a storm-free season and we will all enjoy smooth sailing!

Thank you for that info!

Can you get Bonine at like Walgreens or Walmart?

Both sell it.. in the same aisle as Dramamine. WalMart is cheaper. Comes in packs of 14..enough for 14 days as you take it every 24 hrs. I take it the 1st morning, B4 the ship has even sailed, and no problems...

I even take it on road trips..again no problems! :)

I've experienced drowsiness when taking Bonine. It worked as far as the seasickness, but was very sleepy for 24 hours.

I do not have a problem with drowsiness and Bonine. Usually most meds make me sleepy so this is a surprise. I think this must depend on the person.

I take the Bonine at night though and I start taking it the night before we leave.

Archived