Need info on RCCL-provided transfers from LAX to San Pedro.

We are going on the March 27th sailing of the Vision of the Seas, and will be flying into LAX, spending a few days there with a rental car, and then returning the rental car to LAX. At that point, my family of four will need round-trip transportation to San Pedro. I would like some advice on this, i.e., taxi versus shuttle versus Royal Caribbean's-provided transfers. Does anyone know the cost of these different options for a family of four? Thanks. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Check primetimeshuttle.com or supershuttle.com for a shared van. I just did a prime time check for 4 people to San Pedro w/ 7 bags is $48.40. To the port itself may be a couple of more dollars due to a port charge. They are probably the easiest and best ways for you to go. We used them last March on our Vision cruise. :) It will definitely be cheaper than the transfers for 4 people. :)

Bill - Thanks so much for the info. That definitely sounds like the way to go. Any other recommendations regarding the Vision to the Mexican Riviera in March? I was curious about what types of clothing to pack for our couple of precruise days in L.A., as well as for the cruise itself. It doesn't sound like it's too warm. Thanks. Cheryl

The weather in LA should be fine, but be aware that if you get close to the waterit will be cold. This applies to July even. The first and last days at sea will be pretty cool with the added windchill from the ships 20 knots. From Cabo on down it should be bright, warm and wonderful.:)

i definitely suggest a shuttle. the distance between LAX and the port of Los Angeles (which is in Long Beach/San Pedro) is approx 25 miles SW. that is quite a distance and with traffic etc a taxi could get costly. As Bill suggested earlier taking a shuttle such as prime time shuttle or super shuttle would be much cheaper for a party of 4.

as for pre cruise in LA... in March, it won't be cold, but it won't be terribly hot. the day time temp should be in the high 60s/low 70s. probably best to bring long sleeved shirts and maybe a light jacket for night. but definitely not big bulky jackets.

if you have questions about LA... ask away, and i'll try to help you out!

Thanks so much for the info, everyone. Jstducky - Regarding L.A. - We are going to stay there for a couple of days prior to cruising. What part of the city do you recommend? These are the hotels I'm looking at - The Inn at Venice Beach, the Beverly Garland Hotel (North Hollywood) and Le Montrose Suite Hotel (West Hollywood). I'm thinking it might be a bit cool for Venice Beach. Of course, our son is picturing himself surfing, but I think it might be a bit cold for that. Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated.

ok...

small world.. the le montrose suite hotel, is actually directly across from the condo building where i live! it is one block south of Sunset Blvd. its a really really nice hotel. considering its location, its quiet and private at night. like i said you're one block south of sunset blvd where all the clubs, bars, comedy clubs are. its the place to go and be seen if you're into the night life. also you're only about 2 blocks up from Santa Monica Blvd. where there are tons of restuarants and sidewalk cafes. this are of West Hollywood is also only a 5 minute drive from the Beverly Center, a great shopping center with some nice restaurant. and you are literally 2 blocks east of Beverly Hills and the swank million dollar homes.

i have heard that the Inn at Venice Beach is really really nice. Venice is a really cool little area to be at. the Venice Boardwalk is fun to walk around, especially on the weekends when the boardwalk is teeming with visitors and locals. from where you are, you're also not too far from the Santa Monica Beach, Santa Monica Pier and 3rd Street Promenade. probably a 10 minute drive. the Promenade is an outdoor pedestrian mall that is a great place to walk and do some shopping at night. the pier has a fun little amusement park on it and the beach is nice. you are right about venice and santa monica beach probably being too cold to swim in though. but people do it anyways. the pacific ocean is a cold place and the ocean water temp really never gets above the mid 60s here. so the water is usually cold anytime of year.

and the beverly garland hotel... i've never actually heard of it, and i would think that north hollywood really puts you away from anything you would want to do. its also the farthest away from the airport.

i guess as a first time tourist to So Cal i would recommend staying at the Inn at Venice Beach. everything there is close and within driving distance. the beach is a nice place to be.

the le montrose is also a nice hotel, but since you're a tourist i'm going to assume that you're not going to do the club hopping thing and party it up at the bars on Sunset, so that might not be the greatest option.

i guess maybe if i had an idea of what types of things you were thinking of doing/seeing pre-cruise, it would be easier for me to comment on where you should stay because then i'd have an idea of relative distance from the potential hotel to the sights you want to see

Wow - Thanks so much. You've been so helpful. Our 17-year-old son and 8-going-on-17-year-old daughter, of course, would LOVE to be near Sunset strip; however, I'm fairly certain they're too young to get into any of the clubs. We want to see the standard L.A. stuff - Hollywood Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, take the NBC tour, and spend time at Venice Beach. The karaoke at the Farmers Market (although I'm not sure yet if the kids can get in there), and the Rollerdome also sound like things the kids would like. My son wanted me to ask you about the Hollywood Standard Hotel as well. I agree with you that the Beverly Garland in North Hollywood isn't close to anything we're really interested in. We're trying to avoid the theme parks. Again, thank you so much. I can't tell you how much help you are. L.A. has so many areas to choose from, and it would be really difficult to make a good decision otherwise. -- Cheryl

of the things you mentioned... perhaps then the Le Montrose Suite would be the best choice. it is most centrally located to all the things you want to do...

-Rodeo Drive is an easy 5 minute drive from West Hollywood.

-you're literally right next door to Beverly Hills as the area of West Hollywood where the Le Montrose is exactly the border between BH and WH. so drive 2 blocks west of the Hotel and you're in BH. drive up north of Sunset and you get into the Hollywood Hills where the majority of the stars are and where the houses are like $5million+

-Hollywood Walk of Fame, about a 10 minute drive (maybe less) from Le Montrose

-Venice Beach, you could drive from the Le Montrose in about 20-30 mins depending on traffic

-NBC studios is up in Burbank/Universal City area, during the day with light traffic you could make the drive in 30 mins... also if you take the surfact streets to get there from the hotel you'd drive right through the heart of Hollywood, the Walk of Fame, Mann's Chinese, etc.

- the Farmer's Market/The Grove (the nice outdoor mall right next to the Farmer's Market) is about a 15 minute drive from the hotel. I've never participated in the karaoke, but I am almost certain that its an outdoor thing where they have chairs set up outside and its supposedly really fun! i beleive its for all ages.

i agree that you're kids are probably too young to get into the whole Sunset scene, but doesn't mean its not a nice area to walk around during the afternoon early evening hours before the crazies start to come out. and besides like i said the hotel is fairly secluded and private eventhough its right below the sunset strip, so its not rowdy and noisy. alot of the bands that perform at the Trubador (a very happening place- Maroon 5 was just there last week) stay at the Le Montrose. also i'm told that a lot of movie stars stay there as well.

of course there's nothing like the atmosphere of actually staying on the beach in Venice and being able to walk the beach at night. but i think that for what you want to do, the Le Montrose is a lot more centrally located and would be easier for you to get to and not have to deal with the LA traffic as much.

let me know if you have any other questions! i'll do my best to help you out!

one more thing... the Standard Hotel in Hollywood is also a nice hotel. but personally, i would stick with the Le Montrose if that is what you are deciding between. the Standard is right on the Sunset strip, which means that though it may be fun, its also crowded and noisy and rowdy. traffic at night on sunset can be horrible and most of the time its faster to walk than to drive. which means that if you are driving to get back to the hotel at night, you could be sitting on sunset forever.

Have you considered returning the car to Long Beach instead? There are several car rental agencies there that provide shuttle service to San Pedro. And most of the major car rental agencies do not charge a drop-off fee in California.

Thanks so much for all the help. It will definitely be between the Inn at Venice Beach and Le Montrose. The one thing that the Inn at Venice Beach has going for it is that the parking is only $4, and at Le Montrose it's $18, and I think I have to pay that every time we come and go. I'll have to check that out, but otherwise that would be a consideration since it's nice to be able to come and go, get changed, etcetera. Again, thanks so much for all the info. You don't know how much you've helped me out. --Cheryl

Returning the car at Long Beach sounds like it might save me quite a bit of money -- I'm sure we could catch a cab rather inexpensively since it is basically right near the port. I'll definitely check into that. Thanks so much. Cheryl

Archived