Canada/New England Ports to Visit

Dot from Phila

I'm with a group that will be cruising to Canada/New England this summer. Ports include: New London, CT; Halifax, Nova Scotia; St. John, New Brunswick; Bar Harbor, ME; Portland, ME; Boston, MA.

Asking that anyone who cruised to these ports, provide information and recommendations for port/cruise tours on any of these ports. Thanks.

I'm with a group that will be cruising to Canada/New England this summer. Ports include: New London, CT; Halifax, Nova Scotia; St. John, New Brunswick; Bar Harbor, ME; Portland, ME; Boston, MA.

Asking that anyone who cruised to these ports, provide information and recommendations for port/cruise tours on any of these ports. Thanks.

I haven't cruised to these ports so I can't speak specifically to port/cruise tours . . . however I can recommend some things to do and places to see while in Bar Harbor.

If you've never been to the Acadia National Park this is probably the one thing you should do . . . the rock-bound coast of Maine is quite spectacularly show-cased here and there are hikes available for folks of all ages and abilities (short, level hikes to long, steep hikes). The views from Cadillac Mountain are quite nice on a clear day and when the tide is right and Thunderhole is really in rare form you will get to see and hear an unique blowhole. There are two places in the park that are not often visited that I particularly like . . . the sea anemone cave located fairly close to one of the entry fee gates and Hunter's Beach. The cave is a large area where at low tide one can walk into it and often get a glimpse of starfish, urchins, etc. trapped in the tidal pools in the cave. Hunter's Beach is a small (and last I knew unmarked) beach right after Otter Cove on the left where the entire beach is made up of small round stones polished smooth by the wave action.

When I'm in town in the summer and the tide is low I like to walk or drive out to Bar Island . . . there's a sandbar exposed at low tide that leads to the island there . . . it's a relatively quiet place to do a short and easy hike . . . just be sure to time it right so you don't get stuck on the island! :) ;)

Invariably I also end up at the Chocolate Emporium where I always pick up some penuche for my wife (well for me too) along with the mint/chocolate bars that remind me of when I was a kid. If you really want to feel as though you've slipped into a time portal and ended up somewhere in the very distant past find Alexander's Clock Shop . . . it's in the basement floor and is full of old clocks. The sights (lots and lots of old clocks), sounds (all ticking, gonging, etc.) and smells (old pipe smell) will transport you back in time . . . I always feel as though I'm somewhere in WW II-era Europe for some reason. There's also some nice botanical gardens in town as well that are worth checking out.

I have been to all but one of these ports, however, it would be easier to make recommendations knowing your interests. Do you enjoy: scenery? photography? history? hiking? biking? leisurely walking? restaurants? Are you one who wants an adventurous experience?

Without knowing your preferences, I can recommend a few excursions that are popular in each port.

Boston is known for it's history and easy to get around by public transportation and walking or trolleys. Boston's North End has Paul Revere House, the Old North Church and wonderful Italian bakeries and restaurants. There's the Freedom Trail, Boston Garden and great resturants. They have a wonderful tour on the USS Constituition(Old Ironsides). You can also tour her top deck without the tour. If this is a port day for you, you will spend much time waiting in line for this tour, however. There will be more to do than you will have time for unless Boston is your port of embarkation/debarkation and you spend more than one day there. Here's a web site to start your research:

http://www.bostonusa.com/

Bar Harbor is a wonderful little town and is especially known for Acadia National Park. First timers would do well to book a tour of Acadia with Oli's Trolley. Car rental is not very practical here. If you do a search on this board you will see what the locals say about car rentals here. Web sites: http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/

http://www.exploreacadia.com/

Portland and the surrounding area is easier to navigate by rental car but a car is not necessary if you'd rather take a tour. This is a nice city with some good restaurants and touring options. If you like lighthouses, they are known for Portland Head Light. They have excursions to Freeport for outlet shopping and the big Eddie Bauer store.

Halifax - you can walk the pier area and city on foot. The most popular excursion is to Peggy's Cove, a beautiful hamlet with a rocky shore and famous lighthouse.

Saint John is known for their reversing rapids. Some folks like to riide the rapids while others just look at them. The city itself is easily walkable and the locals are super friendly.

Whatever you do, I strongly recommend you research your options thoroughly on these boards, the internet and travel books from your local library. Folks on these boards are more than willing to help with specific questions once you've done a little research.

Boston is a great city. Depending what you like to do will dictate what you see. It's definately a walking city. It also has a great "T" system. That's what we call the subway. If you're going to do a ship tour take the hop on-Hop off Tour. I also recommend the "Duck" Tour. It's a fleet of old military land/amphibious vehicle. It's highly sought after so if the cruise line doesn't offer the excursion try to book in advance. If you're going to do it on your own I recommend taking a taxi to Fanuiel Hall which is a historic site as well as great shopping. I believe there is a tourist office underneath the actual Fanuiel Hall. Inside the big building has shopping carts, decent bathrooms, and a bunch of restaurants from sit down to food court. It's not your usual mall food court though. If you're looking for a quick bite I recommend eating there. Then if you want you can do the Freedom Trail. You can get the map from the tourism office or a guide book. It's marked out by a wide red line on the sidewalks. If you're interested in museums the Museum of Fine Arts is great. It's on the Green Line. Also the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum on Beacon Street in the Back Bay section is nice. If your looking for good people watching and great shopping go to Newbury Street, Boylston Street. Copley Place and the Prudential Center. Copley Place and the Prudential Center are connected by walkways. For easy access to the Back Bay including the shopping above take the Green Line to Copley Square. When you get off at that station you'll be right in front of the Boston Public Library which is beautiful. I believe it's the first public library in the USA. Also there is Trinity Church.

I agree in Bar Harbour you should check out Acadia National Park. It is a photographer's dream. Downtown has cute shops and is easy to walk.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

We did the 7 day Canada/New England on the Carnival Victory.

In Boston we did the ships tour of Fenway Park with a tour of the city. There's not a lot of time in port. Think if we visited again we'd do the walking tour or just use the shuttle and shop.

Portland-we did the ships tour of Kennebunkport. You could probably rent a car and do this on your own.

Saint John-we did a photography tour and visited the reversing falls twice to see the difference in tide.

Halifax-lots to see and do. We did the Titanic cemetery tour and then rode the free bus the remainder of the day.

This is a fantastic itinerary. One I'd love to do again.

I haven't cruised to these ports so I can't speak specifically to port/cruise tours . . . however I can recommend some things to do and places to see while in Bar Harbor.

If you've never been to the Acadia National Park this is probably the one thing you should do . . . the rock-bound coast of Maine is quite spectacularly show-cased here and there are hikes available for folks of all ages and abilities (short, level hikes to long, steep hikes). The views from Cadillac Mountain are quite nice on a clear day and when the tide is right and Thunderhole is really in rare form you will get to see and hear an unique blowhole. There are two places in the park that are not often visited that I particularly like . . . the sea anemone cave located fairly close to one of the entry fee gates and Hunter's Beach. The cave is a large area where at low tide one can walk into it and often get a glimpse of starfish, urchins, etc. trapped in the tidal pools in the cave. Hunter's Beach is a small (and last I knew unmarked) beach right after Otter Cove on the left where the entire beach is made up of small round stones polished smooth by the wave action.

When I'm in town in the summer and the tide is low I like to walk or drive out to Bar Island . . . there's a sandbar exposed at low tide that leads to the island there . . . it's a relatively quiet place to do a short and easy hike . . . just be sure to time it right so you don't get stuck on the island! :) ;)

Invariably I also end up at the Chocolate Emporium where I always pick up some penuche for my wife (well for me too) along with the mint/chocolate bars that remind me of when I was a kid. If you really want to feel as though you've slipped into a time portal and ended up somewhere in the very distant past find Alexander's Clock Shop . . . it's in the basement floor and is full of old clocks. The sights (lots and lots of old clocks), sounds (all ticking, gonging, etc.) and smells (old pipe smell) will transport you back in time . . . I always feel as though I'm somewhere in WW II-era Europe for some reason. There's also some nice botanical gardens in town as well that are worth checking out.

We go to Acadia evey summer-LOVE IT THERE!!! We camp and hike and have the best family vacations. Last year we got to see Thunder Hole Roar, and the picture I got from the top level of the steps shows the water over the ledge to the right. My kids were down on the platform and got soaked! It was so cool!! But we've never heard of/seen the anemone cave. Can you give me more exact location? We have maps of the island/park. That would be a great addition to this summer.

I also noticed you're from Unity-my oldest DS is looking seriously into Unity College. Visiting there made me want to go back to college:o

To the OP- The bike trails in the park are very nice, and depending on the trails, vcan be easy, moderate, or tough. But it's another fun thig to do. They also have a horse and carriage or hayride on the trails that looks fun. Definitely get somewhere to see the views. I second the recommendation on Cadillac-the views are spectacular from there on a nice day, and there are some easy trails to walk around up there as well.

Boston is a great city. Depending what you like to do will dictate what you see. It's definately a walking city. It also has a great "T" system. That's what we call the subway. If you're going to do a ship tour take the hop on-Hop off Tour. I also recommend the "Duck" Tour. It's a fleet of old military land/amphibious vehicle. It's highly sought after so if the cruise line doesn't offer the excursion try to book in advance. If you're going to do it on your own I recommend taking a taxi to Fanuiel Hall which is a historic site as well as great shopping. I believe there is a tourist office underneath the actual Fanuiel Hall. Inside the big building has shopping carts, decent bathrooms, and a bunch of restaurants from sit down to food court. It's not your usual mall food court though. If you're looking for a quick bite I recommend eating there. Then if you want you can do the Freedom Trail. You can get the map from the tourism office or a guide book. It's marked out by a wide red line on the sidewalks. If you're interested in museums the Museum of Fine Arts is great. It's on the Green Line. Also the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum on Beacon Street in the Back Bay section is nice. If your looking for good people watching and great shopping go to Newbury Street, Boylston Street. Copley Place and the Prudential Center. Copley Place and the Prudential Center are connected by walkways. For easy access to the Back Bay including the shopping above take the Green Line to Copley Square. When you get off at that station you'll be right in front of the Boston Public Library which is beautiful. I believe it's the first public library in the USA. Also there is Trinity Church.

I agree in Bar Harbour you should check out Acadia National Park. It is a photographer's dream. Downtown has cute shops and is easy to walk.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Just wanted to echo Fozzy's comments on the T and Duck Tour . . . the T has got to offer one of the greatest bargains if you want to get around quickly, easily and safely in Boston. Very easy to understand and wicked useful for getting from Point A to Point B in fast time.

As for the Duck Tour . . . I was a bit skeptical of doing this myself when I was down in Beantown last year at a Convention but figured I would pony up the money anyways . . . and it was worth every penny. A very fun and interesting way to learn about Boston history.

We go to Acadia evey summer-LOVE IT THERE!!! We camp and hike and have the best family vacations. Last year we got to see Thunder Hole Roar, and the picture I got from the top level of the steps shows the water over the ledge to the right. My kids were down on the platform and got soaked! It was so cool!! But we've never heard of/seen the anemone cave. Can you give me more exact location? We have maps of the island/park. That would be a great addition to this summer.

I also noticed you're from Unity-my oldest DS is looking seriously into Unity College. Visiting there made me want to go back to college:o

To the OP- The bike trails in the park are very nice, and depending on the trails, vcan be easy, moderate, or tough. But it's another fun thig to do. They also have a horse and carriage or hayride on the trails that looks fun. Definitely get somewhere to see the views. I second the recommendation on Cadillac-the views are spectacular from there on a nice day, and there are some easy trails to walk around up there as well.

Thunder Hole is an interesting site . . . for many years I would visit there and would leave the area feeling less than amazed . . . but then I hit the site there at the right time of day and I understood finally why it was a stop on the Park Loop Road . . . and then last year I went there with my sister and brother-in-law from Alaska the day after a storm had passed through and wowzers -- the entire lower section was closed off as the waves were coming in high and strong . . . even reaching up to the highest point . . . that was one day that was very, very impressive.

Sea anemone caves can be found at the Scenic Overlook . . . located 100-150 yards on the left before the Toll Gate on the Park Loop Road. You'll need to time this stop for low tide to get to the caves and to be safe . . . there should be (or there was at least) a path down to the caves at the parking lot area of the Scenic Overlook . . . as you probably know one should be careful since there is an incline here and the rocks in the cave and near the cave can be slippery when wet or covered with seaweed.

Also . . . have you ever made the drive to the Schoodic Peninsula . . . another part of Acadia National Park that is often forgotten about since it involves driving off the island and over to the Peninsula. This is a worthwhile stop however in my opinion since the wave action here can be very impressive as there is little to nothing breaking the winds or waves -- again be careful . . . many people have got hurt or have died here (especially during or after a big storm) as they get out on to the rocks and get swept away by rogue waves, unexpectedly high waves or they slip on the wet rocks.)

Not to get too sidetracked . . . but Unity is a great place to live and Unity College has come a long way. When I was a kid, the place was a joke . . . today it is a well respected institution of higher learning for anyone considering an environmental or ecological-type of career. If I had to guess I would say a very large percentage of Maine's Game Wardens are UC graduates . . . and an equally large number of folks working in Department of Environmental Protection jobs are graduates. . . . and incidentally if you're ever back up this way make sure you stop by the Unity House of Pizza . . . they offer some of the best pizza north of Boston and CT in my opinion (I know it may be a travesty to say this, but it's much, much better than the pizza served on Carnival!)

Thunder Hole is an interesting site . . . for many years I would visit there and would leave the area feeling less than amazed . . . but then I hit the site there at the right time of day and I understood finally why it was a stop on the Park Loop Road . . . and then last year I went there with my sister and brother-in-law from Alaska the day after a storm had passed through and wowzers -- the entire lower section was closed off as the waves were coming in high and strong . . . even reaching up to the highest point . . . that was one day that was very, very impressive.

Sea anemone caves can be found at the Scenic Overlook . . . located 100-150 yards on the left before the Toll Gate on the Park Loop Road. You'll need to time this stop for low tide to get to the caves and to be safe . . . there should be (or there was at least) a path down to the caves at the parking lot area of the Scenic Overlook . . . as you probably know one should be careful since there is an incline here and the rocks in the cave and near the cave can be slippery when wet or covered with seaweed.

Also . . . have you ever made the drive to the Schoodic Peninsula . . . another part of Acadia National Park that is often forgotten about since it involves driving off the island and over to the Peninsula. This is a worthwhile stop however in my opinion since the wave action here can be very impressive as there is little to nothing breaking the winds or waves -- again be careful . . . many people have got hurt or have died here (especially during or after a big storm) as they get out on to the rocks and get swept away by rogue waves, unexpectedly high waves or they slip on the wet rocks.)

Not to get too sidetracked . . . but Unity is a great place to live and Unity College has come a long way. When I was a kid, the place was a joke . . . today it is a well respected institution of higher learning for anyone considering an environmental or ecological-type of career. If I had to guess I would say a very large percentage of Maine's Game Wardens are UC graduates . . . and an equally large number of folks working in Department of Environmental Protection jobs are graduates. . . . and incidentally if you're ever back up this way make sure you stop by the Unity House of Pizza . . . they offer some of the best pizza north of Boston and CT in my opinion (I know it may be a travesty to say this, but it's much, much better than the pizza served on Carnival!)

Is the scenic overlook you are referring to the one that is near those gorgeous houses (maybe 2?) that are right near the cliff? There is a well marked path down to the rocks, but we didn't see any caves. But then again, I don't remember if it was high or low tide...

Yup-we have visited Schoodic Penninsula. The waves were impressive indeed!

A note to those thinking of visiting the shoreline in Maine-don't be too brave. As Firefighter Jake mentioned, the rocks can be VERY slippery and treacherous, and waves often come out of nowhere. Tides can come in fast too, so be aware of your surroundings. If it says stay back, stay back and stay safe.

Is the scenic overlook you are referring to the one that is near those gorgeous houses (maybe 2?) that are right near the cliff? There is a well marked path down to the rocks, but we didn't see any caves. But then again, I don't remember if it was high or low tide...

Yup-we have visited Schoodic Penninsula. The waves were impressive indeed!

A note to those thinking of visiting the shoreline in Maine-don't be too brave. As Firefighter Jake mentioned, the rocks can be VERY slippery and treacherous, and waves often come out of nowhere. Tides can come in fast too, so be aware of your surroundings. If it says stay back, stay back and stay safe.

I don't think there are any homes near the sea anemone caves . . . but honestly my wife says sometimes she thinks I have early on-set Alzheimers since I have a very, very bad memory.

I don't think there are any homes near the sea anemone caves . . . but honestly my wife says sometimes she thinks I have early on-set Alzheimers since I have a very, very bad memory.

LOL, I know what you mean....

OK, I am looking at my tattered park map. I am looking at the entrance station, and there is a road with a loop that heads out between Schooner Head and Oak Hill Cliff. Heading south would go to Sand Beach (but not really, the road stops), north towards Cranberry Hill. Am I in the correct area? Sorry to be a pest (and a thread hijacker), but I know we would all love to explore there.

Oh, I can't wait to get back there this summer!!!!

I went to Thunderhole on a good day too. I got some great photos. I have some photos of Canada too.

This is Acadia National Park. Atop Mt Cadillac

21?folder=Inbox&msgNum=00002QG0:00183tdI00002sfD&count=1208983308&attachId=4&prevId=-2&action=photoviewer

21?folder=Inbox&msgNum=00002QG0:00183tdI00002sfD&count=1208983308&attachId=8&prevId=-2&action=photoviewer

This is part of Thunderhole

21?folder=Inbox&msgNum=00002QG0:00183tdI00002sfD&count=1208983308&attachId=5&prevId=-2&action=photoviewer

21?folder=Inbox&msgNum=00002QG0:00183tdI00002sfD&count=1208983308&attachId=6&prevId=-2&action=photoviewer

21?folder=Inbox&msgNum=00002QG0:00183tdI00002sfD&count=1208983308&attachId=7&prevId=-2&action=photoviewer

LOL, I know what you mean....

OK, I am looking at my tattered park map. I am looking at the entrance station, and there is a road with a loop that heads out between Schooner Head and Oak Hill Cliff. Heading south would go to Sand Beach (but not really, the road stops), north towards Cranberry Hill. Am I in the correct area? Sorry to be a pest (and a thread hijacker), but I know we would all love to explore there.

Oh, I can't wait to get back there this summer!!!!

Don't hold me to this . . . but yes, I think the loop to the Overlook located right below Schooner Head brings you to the overlook and a small parking area . . . and that's where the path goes down to the caves . . . and for the record I don't think you're a pest . . . I know the advice I got here at this site before my wife and I went on our very first cruise was valuable and I'm always hoping that maybe some of my own advice will be able to help other fellow travelers.

Archived