Crown or Ruby Princess?

WinnieinWA

I'm planning a mid Feb. 09 cruise on either ship but would love any input anyone has for either ship. The itineraries are similar and the price is the same. This will be my first Princess cruise and am looking forward to it.

Traveling solo, mid 50's, female.

Thanks for any recommendations anyone has.

I'm planning a mid Feb. 09 cruise on either ship but would love any input anyone has for either ship. The itineraries are similar and the price is the same. This will be my first Princess cruise and am looking forward to it.

Both ships are identical, of course Ruby will be much newer (Nov 08), Crown June 2006. :)

I would make this choice solely by itineary. With both ships being carbon copies of each other, the ports would be the deciding factor.

As already stated, the Ruby is the newer of the two ships, but Princess takes such great care of their ships, I am sure a couple of years older won't make any difference in the world.

Best of luck and enjoy your first Princess Cruise. :)

The Ruby Princess is doing the western caribbean itinerary, while the Crown is doing the eastern. So here comes the first question:

eastern or western Caribbean? have you been to both already ? yes/no , if yes, which one do you like better ?

2nd question: Crown(almost 3 years by then) or the brand new Ruby ?

As you can see below I'll be on the Ruby's maiden voyage, but like the eastern caribbean much more then the western caribbean. So in my case I decided for the ship i.s.o. the itinerary.

As a woman who also frequently travels solo, I've cruised in both the eastern and western Caribbean. While I'd love to try the Ruby, I'm a bit put off by its Western Caribbean-only itinerary....mainly because I don't like Jamaica. If you do go on a sailing that stops at Jamaica, make sure you stay with a tour or shop with some Cruise Critic shipmates. Don't go anywhere on your own there.

That being said, I personally like the eastern Caribbean itineraries as I feel like there's a greater variety of things to do. I'm also looking at possibly cruising in February 2009, and trying to decide between an eastern or southern Caribbean itinerary. :)

Good luck!

We did the Western tour Feb 07 on the Star - our first ever cruise and we loved it. Our favourite port was Grand Caymen, our least favourite was Cozumel. Jamaica is a beautiful island but there were times when I didn't feel 100% safe and we were with a group - quite a few people stayed on the ship in Jamaica. However we had the best time at the Dunes River Falls and River Tubing. Now we are booked on the Crown for Feb 09 for the Eastern leg and I can't wait to get on that ship!

Archived