St. Petersburg

Bojangles

Our group of eight will be on a three day tour with Alla. We are trying to decide the best way to handle lunch so as not to take to much time away from the tours. Can anyone tell me if Regatta has box lunches? If so what are they like. Would we better off just eating a snack near the sights. Some of you who have been on this cruise I know will have great ideas. Thank you for your help. Donna bojangs@aol.com

We did a private tour with Denrus for 2 days with 7 people and ate our lunch in the van to save time. We decided we were there to see not eat. We ordered club sandwiches and fruit (apples or bananas) and took bottled water. Almost forgot, we also ordered cookies, most important thing. We brought zip lock bags from home to carry everything and it worked out great. We were on Celebrity so I don't know if Oceania has special prepared lunches or not. There is alot to see and enjoy so have a great time.

Carol

Most ports they ask you not to take food ashore in particular fruit & veg but if they do not search your bags going off then I guess you could get away with it.

I have heard some tour guide will take you to a cafe or supermarket to pick up things for brown bagging it

We ate in a local restaurant with the ship's tour

Our group of eight will be on a three day tour with Alla. We are trying to decide the best way to handle lunch

Bojangles-

Lynne is right when she says that the ports don't like you to take food off of the ship. The Russians at St. Petersburg were very officious (some of them acted like they did not know that the cold war was over) I don't think I'd chance it.

Also, Alla is wonderful about tailoring the lunch breaks to your specific groups desires.

We were in St. Petersburg for three days; on day one, we went to an authentic "local" restaurant located in the basement of a former Embassy. We were assured that the food was what the locals were actually eating.

The adults in our group enjoyed the experience, the teenage kids were appalled. It was almost a deal breaker.

The next day, the adults experienced another Russian restaurant, then we made a quick stop at McDonalds for the kids!

I also remember Alla saying that eating "in the van" was not an option....although drinks were ok.

Hope this helped-

We were with Red October and they asked each day if we wanted a full lunch or a quick lunch. We always elected the quick lunch and were taken to "fast" food places the Russians eat at. All were cafeteria style and interesting. We were the only non-russians there but everyone was friendly and our guide translated. One specialized in pastry filled with meat and veggies and also ones with dessert. Another had all kinds of casseroles (The portions were huge. Think about each person only chosing one or two and sharing.) We always had a local beer with the lunch and bought our guide and driver one also.

So much better than eating in the restaurants catering to westerners.

By the way we welcomed a half an hour or so of down time after so much sightseeing. Also the driver deserves and may be entitled to a break.

We toured with RO a couple ofyears ago. At their suggestion, we ordered lunch for both days when they picked us up the first morning, and when we got to each restaurant, lunch was served within a couple of minutes. The food was very good, and it made us smile to eat Beef Stroganoff in Russia.

Thank you everyone for all the advice. I kind of thought box lunches were out but I was'nt sure. I think our best bet is a Russian meal one day, and probably fast food the other two days. I think most of the people on my tour will be in agreement. Thank you Donna

We have booked the '09 sailing that stops in St. Petersburg for 3 days. My wife and I were thinking about taking a 2 day tour with either Alla or RO. The other day would be "on our own". I recognize that for the day on our own we would need our own Visa. That being said, has anyone done a day on their own with 2 other days being guided?

Any other suggestions?

We have booked the '09 sailing that stops in St. Petersburg for 3 days. My wife and I were thinking about taking a 2 day tour with either Alla or RO. The other day would be "on our own". I recognize that for the day on our own we would need our own Visa. That being said, has anyone done a day on their own with 2 other days being guided?

Any other suggestions?

lovecruisingtoo,

Please, don't go off on your own.

First of all, after you do two days with an Alla tour, you're going to want to add a third day , and there wont be any availability. Honestly, you're going to regret not booking that third day.

Aside from the Visa difficulties, St. Petersburg has some VERY rough areas. The switch from Communism left some people with absolutely nothing, and the "new" social services are not yet able to cope with the volume.

Desperate people do desperate things, a guide can keep you out of those areas (or at least make sure that you're in a fast moving van as you pass through them)

The "middle classes" are up against it too. Houses and apartments are finally up for sale, but please consider that 0% of the population had any means of building up equity in anything, until the wall fell. People are trying some very odd things to raise money quickly.

You don't say if you speak Russian, which may make things easier for you, however, there is literally ZERO English signage in St. Petersburg.

I wish you would reconsider........:o

Archived