NOT happy with Smith's Ferry

lovemylife

We walked to the ferry, which I would not do again. Had we hopped in a taxi for 3 dollars a person, we would have made it to the 12:00 speedy's departure.

As we walked up to the ticket area, the Speedy's ferry was still there, but obviously getting ready to leave (late).

The woman from Smith's said their ferry would leave at 12:30, this was about 12:15. We bought 4 tickets, as did another group. When we went to board the ferry, they said "no no not this one, we bring another ferry for you, this one is for ship's excursion only." OK fine, we wait, and watch the 12:00 speedy's and the 12:30 Smith's leave.

No other boats in sight.....Finally the woman comes out to the dock and says the 12:30 ferry has been canceled, they will bring one in at 1:30. We get our money back, and wander around for an hour. At 1:45, still no ferry. We give up, because now I don't trust them to get us BACK on time.

So the day we looked forward to most, never happened. :mad: Next time I'll take a taxi, and use Speedy's.

• 4 weeks later...

We really want to do the Baths on our own schedule but are very nervous about how reliable the ferry service will be and have now read several posts where folks ran into serious problems - including overcrowded ferries, late ferries or none at all. Will have to think more about this.....

Go into Smiths website now and this is what you get:

This Account Has Been SuspendedPlease contact the billing/support department as soon as possible.

I used their website to schedule my trip and when I got there they told me that the 1 pm return on their schedule didn't exist. If I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have found out. :mad: I loved my ride with Speedy's and would use them again no matter what.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, at least you had the problem on the way OUT as opposed to on the way BACK to the ship. In the couple of years I've been hanging around these boards, I haven't read much at all about ferry problems. BUT the one chance in however many is the reason we always just pay the extra for the ship's excursion. We just do NOT want to be on the ONE ferry in 100 that didn't get back to the ship on time. Saving $30 or $40 per person just isn't worth it to us, especially relative to the cost of the entire cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Speedys to go to Virgin Gorda last year, if ran almost exactly to their schedule, plenty of room on the ferry. Great service. We are hoping to use it again when we go in November. Their schedule is on their website if anyone wants it. I think we paid $25 or $30 each return and this included the bus ride up to the Baths. What a fantastic way to spend the day

Enjoy

Archived