prescriptions

Cruisejunky2

If someone has a legitimate prescription, can they get it filled in the Caribbean (Mexico) legally? Would there be any problems bringing it home?

You can buy alot of prescription drugs over the counter in Mexico. I've puchased Ampicillin without a script. I also saw Viagara advertised in Belize: 30 pills for $90 or 1 pill for $4. You only need a half of a pill so that is $2 a pop. A bargain anywhere.;)

It has been my experience that you can purchase almost any prescription in Mexico with or without the prescription. It is my understanding that you can legally bring back medications for personal use but are limited to a 90 day supply. The difference in price will amaze you.

Make sure what you are buying is what you expect it to be.

I have no idea how you could tell if they are counterfeit or legitimate drugs. I would not risk buying a life sustaining medication in a tourist pharmacy in Mexico.

JMHO.......

Make sure what you are buying is what you expect it to be.

I have no idea how you could tell if they are counterfeit or legitimate drugs. I would not risk buying a life sustaining medication in a tourist pharmacy in Mexico.

JMHO.......

Well said. I was going to say the same thing. Just because it looks like your current prescription (size and color) does not mean it is the same.

This thread pops up about three times a year.

1. There is no way of knowing what drug, if any, is in that pill. If you get burned get getting three ******, oh well. But what if it’s for blood pressure. My brother-in-law worked at a pharmaceutical warehouse, with about 100 other people. A truckload of Lipitor left Chicago for the deep South. “Somehow” the entire shipment was replaced with counterfeit pills, packaging and all, before it got to its destination. It was just a fluke that it was discovered in time. In this case, the guilty party was never found, but their solution was to fire everyone. CEO down to the janitor was given 10 minutes to leave the building. Anyway, with the tight laws here in the states, it still happens.

2. There was a post about bringing a 90 day supply back into the country. I am guessing that this is true, but there had better be a prescription along with the drugs. Anyone remember what happened to Rush Limbaugh.

3. States have their own laws. Here in California, the law is WRITTEN that any prescription drug carried on your person has to be in the original bottle with your name on the label.

So, is it worth it?

Our local TV station did a recent report about the counterfeit drugs that US citizens are buying in Mexico. They're made in China, look the same but can be dangerous because of the stuff they make them with. I would never purchase any drugs in Mexico.

You only need a half of a pill so that is $2 a pop. A bargain anywhere.;)

Oh the comments I could make here...:rolleyes:

I know, I sat on a bench in front of the pharmacy telling viagara jokes to a fellow cruiser. I had him nearly rolling on the ground.:D

And guys and gals, if I needed a life sustaining drug I don't think that I would take a chance on something that could possibly come from China. If they can't keep lead out of their paint and even sell pet food that is poisonous, I don't think that I want it. They can't even make shirts that are the right size.:rolleyes: I haven't worn a medium in years.

I'm with clackey & 7seas - I would not take any chances on medications which are intended for chronic illnesses like heart disease (arrythmias) , anti-hypertensives, or diabetic drugs. My daugher was sick in Peru with an URI had her up coughing all-nite - we finally broke down and bought a generic robitussin with Codeine (narcotic) - we were shocked that it did not require a Rx. - which the DH actually could've written but it was not needed. We've also purchased RX strength hydrocortisone topical cream for an itchy rash in the caribbean (Dominica) no problem. It was the same brand/logo they sell here in the US. Hope this helps.

RN

Archived