What I've Learned....

....1st cruise to now!!

I've been fortunate to have cruised quite a few times on different cruise lines. With the next being on the Serenade, I looked back at my very first cruise and the things I've learned since then, and learned to do differently:

*Always try to fly in at least a day ahead - avoid potential weather delays, start your vacation early, and be "relaxed" when you board the ship.

*Make you own hotel reservations. The cruise line prices are near double.

*Make your own flights directly with the airlines. And if you're "forced" to use the cruise lines air program, do an air deviation to get the specific flights you want.

*Don't take the ship's transfers from the airport to the port. A taxi is not that expensive, and a heck of a lot less stressful then riding/waiting with a bus load of people.

*I've learned to pack a lot lighter. After I lay things out on the bed, I try to put about one-third of that back in the closet.

*Travel Insurance>>>Haven't used it yet, but I now always get it -- just in case, plus provides great peace of mind!!

*If I've been there before (i.e., Caribbean) I don't use the services of a TA. I like to deal directly with the cruise lines, and keep dealing directly with them as time passes.

*Follow up, and pay attention to details BEFORE you go>>>Call the hotel, airlines, limo to airport, etc., well before your trip, and then again a few days before you go.

So what you're saying is that I did basically everything wrong, eh? :o

• Flying in day-of-cruise. (Majesty) Check.
  • Had hotel reservations part of cruise package. (Serenade) Check.
  • Made my own airline reservations BUT made them with US Airways. (Both) Check.
  • Took ship's transfers. (Both) Check.
  • Bought enough luggage to carry twice what we need. (Both) Check.
  • Selected travel insurance online, but somehow my selection got lost, so didn't have travel insurance. (Majesty) Check.
  • Made reservations through online travel agency. (Serenade) Check.

Well, at least it's not too late for me to do that last item correctly.... :)

I've viewed several of your post and you seem to always take the negative slant on things.

EVERYONE, INCLUDING YOU have a "method" of booking and enjoying our cruise. THere are MORE than one way to do this!

Instead of saying "I've been doing it wrong" just be nice and offer another opinion. That what this board is for, INFORMATION, not degrading other posters.

Besides, I can't imagine on a cruise to the NILE you arrived the day of the cruise!

Please try to offer info in a postive way! I'm sure the rest of the CC posters will appreciate it also! :)

I believe you've read into my message content that just isn't here. Richard posted a lot of good advice that folks would almost surely do well to follow. I didn't. I've already begun to pay for that. I've had to expend extra money and burn some FF miles to book alternative airline reservations. I've actually paid double for a hotel room, as Richard indicated. I'm going to have to struggle with all that luggage that I just know we'll fill, and as Richard alluded to, won't need much of it.

Oh and another thing: I was nice. You weren't.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I didn't take Bicker's post to be negative. He gets on your nerves at times with all his double talk but he has never said anything mean to anyone that I have seen...I think he was saying that he learns from these boards and appreciates all the info given as do I...

Precisely. I think there is another very positive point we can draw out of this: I've made all these mistakes, yet I'm going to have a great time regardless. I, for one, feel a lot of pressure to "do it right," perhaps, to a great extent, emminating from the overwhelming amount of good advice coming from message boards such as these. Those of us making all these mistakes can take heart in the fact that most people manage to have a great time cruising without benefit of all this good advice.

Bicker, I read into what you were saying. But I live in New England and am used to this sort of thing.

I have to say that for each his own. Some people find comfort in booking the whole package through a TA and with the cruise. We did the first time we cruised last year and learned the good and bad. This year we booked, with the exception of the cruise, all ourselves and so far so good. To each his own.

Finally, I have found these board hold a wealth of information. The things learned here should be published in a book.

Finally, Bicker will you be rooting for the Pats and Sox this week?

"So what you're saying is that I did basically everything wrong, eh?"

I'm sorry, but if this is not a negative comment, I'm not sure what is. BOTH of you have very good info that is great to pass on personally, but starting it as an "I've been doing it wrong" seems like an "my ideas are better than yours are" tone. I read these post for information. Saying that someone else ideas are "wrong" is just NOT NICE!!

The start of the post is "what I've Learned", not "this is the best way"!

Bicker, I read into what you were saying. But I live in New England and am used to this sort of thing.
We're a curious breed, up North, eh?

Finally, Bicker will you be rooting for the Pats and Sox this week?
Pats: I have too much of a weak stomach to root for the Sox.

I always try to get there the day before. I'm lucky because I live in Florida and can drive to the port. I usually don't buy travel insurance but with all the hurricanes in Florida I did for my last cruise. Glad I did and I will continue to buy insurance. I always book my own hotel. I always over pack (good thing. I spent two extra days on the Mariner. Just ended up with a whole lot of laundry).

Lisa :cool:

Since we're on the subject, I've got a question about this ignore list (treading lightly so as not to get in the middle of the ongoing discussion:) ). If you put someone on your ignore list do you then not see the entire thread at all if your ignored person is posting on it or, is it just that there's a gaping hole (metaphorically speaking) where their post should be and you just see everyone else's posts?

Where the person you have on your ignore list posts - it just says "+++" is on your ignore list. Then you can go on to the next person who has posted.

Much easier to get back those who write a book just to be able to read themselves, especially when they just want to tell everyone else how wrong they are and the way they do is the only way to do it.

Anyway, the original suggestions:

We always go at least a day or two ahead and we always buy insurance even though it's expensive. It's a small price to pay if something was to go wrong.

I always book our hotels and car rentals if we need one, myself.

I always book our air myself as well.

I will hold or book our cruises myself as well, but, as it doesn't cost us anymore to go through our TA who is an extremely nice person and very co-operative, I always transfer to her. Sometimes I want a lot of information, expecially about various pricing which she will very patiently get for me.

But for anything else, I usually do it myself.

Marilyn

Being the OP, I didn't take bickers comments as anything but "playful" sarcasm, and certainly not meant to be hurtful.

Purpose of my post was simple -- share some opinions with newbies maybe, because as the great Will Rogers said, "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

New Englanders can be a sarcastic breed.

Sorry for changing the topic, but why is that so? :confused: DH and I visited two New England states in 1995 and found this to be very true. We thought the area was beautiful but found the people to be very unwelcoming:( . It was unfortunate for us but very sad when our children who were 8 and 13 at the time commented that, "These people act like they don't want us to vacation here." Truly sad that we experienced that in the good old US of A.

Back to the topic - agree that flying in day before is a wonderful option for those that can make it work. We were exhausted on the first night of our Alaskan cruise in June when we flew to Vancouver from the East Coast the day of the cruise. Couldn't arrange it any other way due to our work schedules.

Your post is a guide for near perfect planning. There are people who will read it and learn from it. There are people who will read it and say "I don't have to do that".

I have done the same things as you posted and will continue to do all of them any vacation I take. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I thank you for posting this. You are correct that it may help many a "newbie".

Have cruised out of PC several times and stay at the Radisson. It just gets my Vacation off to a good start!

Did fly up the day of the cruise from Boston. Come to think of it, I didn't feel too "welcome" there either. :)

I guess Southern Belles are just too sweet! We try not to say anthing deemed ofensive to anyone, we just say "Well, bless your heart, honey"! I guess that's our idea of playful sarcasm!

Thanks to Richard K and "Bicker" for their information. Ya'll have a great time on your future cruises!

Jacquelyn :D

I don't think Bicker means any harm, I think he is trying to have the most posts.
I'm an acquired taste, from what I've heard. Most folks just don't want to deal with someone who objects to anti-business attitudes, and I catch a lot of flack because I always work to see things from the business' side of the transaction as well as my own side.

Sorry for changing the topic,
We really should take this to another thread...
but why is that so? :confused: DH and I visited two New England states in 1995 and found this to be very true. We thought the area was beautiful but found the people to be very unwelcoming:(.
Yes that's very common. One reason I've heard bandied about is that folks tend to keep to themselves more when more closely crowded together, as is the case in many Northeastern cities, but that doesn't explain Vermonters.

For full disclosure, though, I'm not a New Englander. I'm a New Yorker, born in Brooklyn.

Let's see... what have I learned so far:

Don't make arrangements on the spur of the moment. Better to lose an opportunity than to make arrangements that aren't going to stand up to your own scrutiny the next morning.

Never trust online reservations, especially with regard to options, selections, preferences, and other aspects that aren't core aspects of what you're booking. Always confirm everything verbally within 24 hours, including room selection, insurance, and dinner seating. (I suppose that's really true of all reservations: Even if you make them over the phone, it is probably a good idea to check them with another person the next day, or just go over them with the same person, just for sanity's sake.)

Bicker I thought you were being sarcastic, made me laugh. Thanks for the info Richard it sure helps! I live in Florida but go over a day early I want to know I'm within walking distance of the ship in case anything goes wrong. Husband says I'm spoiled!!!

Archived