#@%& HAL's new web site

GarySuzy

I have been trying to book a cruise on HAL's new web site and keep getting "Advisory 5280 name does not match previous name contact HAL" Sent email to HAL as I could not get through on the phone - no answer, yet.

Has anyone else run into this error. It does not let you go any further so you can not complete the booking.

I work in the computer industry and when things like this happen it is just frustrating.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I find HAL's new site to be very frustrating. It's slow, the graphics are huge and chunky, and everything that seems to work so well on the old site barely moves on the new one.

Haven't seen that error; I wonder if HAL was updating their prices when you were trying to book the cruise, and the cryptic error is the database's fancy way of saying that ;)

Aaron,

Thanks for the response

I have found that the more "they" try to make the web site "User Friendly" it has caused frustration - if the updates are to add graphics then it automaticly will slow down the response time on the web site.

I also noticed that the web site is adding a lot more cookies to my computer inorder to run.

Thanks Jim,

I did re-register and it still gives this error - previously our middle names were included and I am wondering if that is what is causing the hangup - middle names are not required on the new web site.

Gary

Seems like I recall someone mentioning this when the "new" website was launched. I think they had to re-register and everything went okay.

Same here. I, too, had to re-register.

Every "new" version is less user friendly. I don't say that just from familiarity with the old, either.

The updated version is much more demanding to navigate, especially when researching availability and schedules.

The main problem is software developers who need to display how clever they are.

Well, this looks like a good place to voice my two frustrations. :) First, the Destination Calendar jumps all over my screen if I try to go down far enough to read what the color codes mean. Second, the only way to find a cabin in a specific area is to try the exact cabin numbers one at a time. I like to make my own choices, but it's really difficult right now. Online TA's still show the choices on a deck plan map, but HAL does not. Argh.

THERE! I feel so much better. :) :)

Just on the off chance that if I re-registered again it would work, I registered again just now and it takes me all the way to selecting a cabin then it comes up with "Advisory 5280" again and then I am stuck and can't go any further.

I guess they want me to go through a TA.

Gary

Just got off the phone with HAL, this is their explanation:

There is a problem with the reservation system and if you get this error you are to go through a TA or HAL Rep to book your cruise.

After talking to them for awhile I found out when they went to the new web site they combined the Mariner information with Princess, and Carnival information so they could track you within all Carnival owned cruise lines.

Since Princess had spelt our names wrong it was propogated to all the web sites and I have to get each site to correct the mistake.

Isn't technology great!!!!!

Gary

First, the Destination Calendar jumps all over my screen if I try to go down far enough to read what the color codes mean.
After experiencing that a couple of times I just printed a copy to keep handy. It's a lot quicker too!

The only problem I had with the "new" HAL website was having to re-register (I've been in IT since days of punched cards and having customers re-enter data already on file is a sign of a lazy IT guy and/or lack of repect for your customers, but I digress).

No error messages in my travels around the site (which does render a bit slower than the old) but I have never tried to book a cruise there - only check cabin availability on a specific sailing.

[hijack thread] I may be sorry (although I'm not sure why/how), but I've booked my 2nd HAL cruise (10/23/08 ms Zaandam Hawaii) with an online site at a significant price savings over HAL's "retail" prices (and land TA who handled first cruise - 5/11/08 ms Amsterdam Vancouver repo - tried but couldn't offer me the cruise at the same/near price the online site could). Got a HAL booking number so I'm not sure the advantage of booking directly with HAL and paying more for the same product/service. [/hijack thread]

Bob, I feel the same way. I swore by my brick and mortar TA for years. But when service dropped off considerably (after my spending major bucks with them) I went the online route. I've booked 4 cruises this way and have had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

I get so annoyed when I have to sign in just to check prices for the cruises. When we are researching different options for upcoming trips, I am in and out of cruiseline websites a lot. HAL will give you a "from" price for each cabin category, but if I am really interested in the cruise, I want to compare all of the various cabin categories....and to do that, you have to go sign in and go through the booking process.

And if you are comparing two or three different cruises......oh, well.....it's a good thing I'm retired.

Bob, I feel the same way. I swore by my brick and mortar TA for years. But when service dropped off considerably (after my spending major bucks with them) I went the online route. I've booked 4 cruises this way and have had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

We have book our cruises with brick and mortar, and online (have always had good service on-line) We were trying HAL because we had a promo code that only works if you go through HAL. This morning we found the fine print that stated it only applied to one sailing and would not of helped us. So we are going back to our online TA.

We have book our cruises with brick and mortar, and online (have always had good service on-line) We were trying HAL because we had a promo code that only works if you go through HAL. This morning we found the fine print that stated it only applied to one sailing and would not of helped us. So we are going back to our online TA.

I'm glad it all worked out (sort of!). You'll probably get a MUCH better price going through a regular or online TA. We noticed, for our upcoming Oosterdam cruise, that HAL's online prices were almost $300 more than most other sites offered!

Just finished booking the Nov 21 Sea of Cortez with our online TA - total cost was $300 less than HAL. We still have a problem with my mariner number as they have spelt my last name wrong (was correct before the new web site) So I have to call mariner and get them to fix it.

Most cruise line web sites leave a lot to be desired. Perhaps they take the approach that the overwhelming percentage of consumers buy their cruise from a travel agency, so online performance and functionality are not be not a high priority.

Why go to the HAL site, before booking, when everything you need is available at so many online travel agency booking sites and usually at a better price.

It's like buying a car. Most people do not work directly with the manufacturer nor do they pay list price. The system is set up to drive business to dealers.

I do not understand checking cabins assignments when a guarantee has been booked but then again, I do not understand wanting to know the sex of a unborn child. I guess I like surprises, especially when I cannot change the outcome.

I don't bother with the on-line check in for a cruise, but then again, I usually arrive in the afternoon and achieve, in less than a minute, what needs to be done, prior to strolling on, a few hours before departure.

Other than curiosity, about the only thing I use a cruise line web site for, is shore excursions.

The new HAL website is also completely incompatable with my old clunker webtv.

At least before with some more basic and simple html command script, I could research dates and itineraries - sort of like liesurely flipping thru brochures. Now I cannot even do that or just look up shore excursions.

And yes, I did re-register.

I don't bother with the on-line check in for a cruise, but then again, I usually arrive in the afternoon and achieve, in less than a minute, what needs to be done, prior to strolling on, a few hours before departure.

With the new screening requirements of the Department of Homeland

Security, online check in is important.

I'm like Hammy and don't do on-line check in on the site either. I complete the paper form they send with the documents. If it was not acceptible, they wouldn't be including it.

I use the site to check itineraries and for excursions and that is all.

Archived